• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Proximity sensor fix confirmed

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I too have been battling with the problems with screen lock-ups when making calls and have just methodically worked through all the possible theories of causes and solutions to find a fix.

Android version

Seems like the most likely cause, espeically on a site dedicated to changing the stock version. But, with many people reporting similar issues on different phones and using manufacturer ROMs it seems less likely.

Crappy drivers

Quite likely I thought, may still be an issue in tandem with the dust issue. However, I was able to confirm a fix without changing any software.

Crappy proximity sensor chip (CM3602)

I work in the semiconductor industry and know how much effort goes into qualifying devices for manufacture, whilst this isn't impossible, it seems unlikely to me.

Cases & Protective films

I thought this was probably the likely cause, so I downloaded the Android Sensors app and tried cased/naked. It makes no difference, which rules this one out.

Dust in the works

As per this thread I thought I'd give it a try. Bingo the Android Sensors app now responds to my hand moving towards/away the speaker grill. Calls now work okay and I can even use the keypad to access my voicemail.

SOLUTION - vaccum your phone. It fixes it!

Cheers to moerph and puiloong for pointing me in the right direction.

PS I'm using 10.1-20130402-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R3 (not that this is relevant, it was the vacuum that fixed it!).

PPS Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but it took me a while to find this fix.

Posted

Great post ;)

Posted

How are you performing the vacuum?

Posted

This is an odd fix, but a very good find I guess :P

Posted

Be careful with vacuum cleaner.

Tip of the plastic end part tends to collect static electricity.

Posted

Be careful with vacuum cleaner.

Tip of the plastic end part tends to collect static electricity.

I would suggest to use an air duster to stop that (a can of compressed air)

Posted

I had much the same problems with my proximity sensor. Using some of the HW debug tools on the market I could see that it went from 9 to 0 when I moved a hand close to screen, but never reset itself -- in calls the screen never unblanked (I had to repeatedly tap the power button or squeeze the top right of the screen to get the sensor to respond)

I tried the compressed air technique and it didn't seem to help (if anything I just got dust between screen and glass).

In the end I took the phone apart and noticed that there was a fair bit of dust on the inside of the pane that covers the proximity sensor. Cleaned that off, put the phone back together and now the proximity sensor works again.