lambethboy

Proximity sensor fix confirmed

7 posts in this topic

I too have been battling with the problems with screen lock-ups when making calls and have just methodically worked through all the possible theories of causes and solutions to find a fix.

Android version

Seems like the most likely cause, espeically on a site dedicated to changing the stock version. But, with many people reporting similar issues on different phones and using manufacturer ROMs it seems less likely.

Crappy drivers

Quite likely I thought, may still be an issue in tandem with the dust issue. However, I was able to confirm a fix without changing any software.

Crappy proximity sensor chip (CM3602)

I work in the semiconductor industry and know how much effort goes into qualifying devices for manufacture, whilst this isn't impossible, it seems unlikely to me.

Cases & Protective films

I thought this was probably the likely cause, so I downloaded the Android Sensors app and tried cased/naked. It makes no difference, which rules this one out.

Dust in the works

As per this thread I thought I'd give it a try. Bingo the Android Sensors app now responds to my hand moving towards/away the speaker grill. Calls now work okay and I can even use the keypad to access my voicemail.

SOLUTION - vaccum your phone. It fixes it!

Cheers to moerph and puiloong for pointing me in the right direction.

PS I'm using 10.1-20130402-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R3 (not that this is relevant, it was the vacuum that fixed it!).

PPS Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but it took me a while to find this fix.

Great post ;)

How are you performing the vacuum?

This is an odd fix, but a very good find I guess :P

Be careful with vacuum cleaner.

Tip of the plastic end part tends to collect static electricity.

Be careful with vacuum cleaner.

Tip of the plastic end part tends to collect static electricity.

I would suggest to use an air duster to stop that (a can of compressed air)

I had much the same problems with my proximity sensor. Using some of the HW debug tools on the market I could see that it went from 9 to 0 when I moved a hand close to screen, but never reset itself -- in calls the screen never unblanked (I had to repeatedly tap the power button or squeeze the top right of the screen to get the sensor to respond)

I tried the compressed air technique and it didn't seem to help (if anything I just got dust between screen and glass).

In the end I took the phone apart and noticed that there was a fair bit of dust on the inside of the pane that covers the proximity sensor. Cleaned that off, put the phone back together and now the proximity sensor works again.