Huawei Ascend G510 - £130, 1.2 GHz dual-core, Jelly Bean, 4.5-inch Android phone launching 12th April exclusive to Vodafone UK

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/huawei-ascend-g510-black-payg

Launches tomorrow (12th April) for £130.

It's about time we saw a budget dual core Android phone. There have been a lot of Windows Phones with similar specs in the past few months, like the Huawei Ascend W1: http://www.itproport...indows-phone-8/

Looks like it could be the next G300.

Edited by Guest

Guest xondrax

Unbeliable-Vodafone CZ sell the same phone for £200 :( in same price tag £130 we can get Huawei Y300 from czech o2 or T Mobile..Any information if its locked to Vodafone UK?

Edited by xondrax

Guest KenBW2

I feel like I want to blindly buy this in the hope of an unlock. My Blade is feeling distinctly old and weary on 4.2 so I've been waiting for something like this.

I remember Vodafone had the G300 at £100 for a while then bumped it up, so this might be worth an impulse purchase in the hope of an unlock and dev community.

Only real downer is the low resolution, but we can't have it all can we

I just had a search on Google and there are already legitimate websites offering unlock codes for less than £5. Don't use any site that doesn't use PayPal however.

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

Vodafone made a mistake with the pricing. Huawei have confirmed that the device should be £130 and Vodafone will be changing the prices soon.

Guest Maximus9

Assuming it's £130, is this a phone to be considered? It has just 512MB on ICS.

For the same price, maybe a chinese 1GB phone might be better?

Opinions? Hard to decide, but I need an upgrade from G300 cause it is just too darn slow.

Guest KenBW2

I would say it is limiting. That's why I am on GB still. :)

So what particular problems would I expect? I gather it'll just be that apps are killed off earlier, but as I say they stay open long enough on my Blade

Edited by KenBW2

Guest Hanks6

looks like a really appealing handset IMO. good battery capacity, nice big screen and all the regular bells and whistles. RAM seems to be a the biggest downer on the specs, but it comes with JB 4.1 out the box, not ICS. whats the thoughts on whether this makes the ram less of an issue, considering JB is supposed to run a lot smoother and better optimised than ICS?

Guest blueled

Can someone confirm whether it is dual sim or not? Gsmarena says so, but vodafone says "sim:standard".

Nevermind, found the other topics that comment on the two different models out there

Edited by blueled

Guest MrPuddington

Can someone confirm whether it is dual sim or not? Gsmarena says so, but vodafone says "sim:standard".

Nevermind, found the other topics that comment on the two different models out there

Thanks, that makes it a lot easier for me to pass on this. My next phone needs at least 1GB of RAM, and dual sim would really be nice.

Guest KenBW2

looks like a really appealing handset IMO. good battery capacity, nice big screen and all the regular bells and whistles. RAM seems to be a the biggest downer on the specs, but it comes with JB 4.1 out the box, not ICS. whats the thoughts on whether this makes the ram less of an issue, considering JB is supposed to run a lot smoother and better optimised than ICS?

I've had mine since friday, this is my assessment

Guest Andymac1969

I've had mine since friday, this is my assessment

If you have come from a Blade, and myself from a G300, the best thing I have found about this is it 'feels solid' far more so than the Blade and the G300, it feels durable and made to last a contract length

Guest KenBW2

If you have come from a Blade, and myself from a G300, the best thing I have found about this is it 'feels solid' far more so than the Blade and the G300, it feels durable and made to last a contract length

Yea, the metal surround on the screen, and the case having a nice fit, and the buttons don't feel flimsy.

But mostly it's the "wow, I press stuff and I don't have to just believe that it's working on it". I was still considering a G300 before this came out, was the G300 somewhat laggy and slow?

Edited by KenBW2

Guest Andymac1969

Yea, the metal surround on the screen, and the case having a nice fit, and the buttons don't feel flimsy.

But mostly it's the "wow, I press stuff and I don't have to just believe that it's working on it". I was still considering a G300 before this came out, was the G300 somewhat laggy and slow?

The G300 suffered from it was 'almost' there, but not quite, it is a great phone, I am not a gamer, more Sat Nav, cardio trainer, browsing, Iplayer etc There are some great builds of Jelly Bean for the G300, but there are small niggles, where apps would FC, the camera was rubbish and the phone generally looked expensive, but felt very cheap, with creaks and groans when you held it.

Vodafone are charging £95 for the G300 and £130 for this, it is like chalk and cheese, this is miles faster, better built and has Jelly Bean, it's a no brainer.