• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Brand new g300 - what now ?

37 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I have just bought brand new g300 from Amazon (under Vodafone umbrella). It has Android 4.0.3.

This is my first smartphone so I am really beginner ;-)

I'd like to upgrade to 4.2. Should I first unlock that phone and then upgrade or I don't need to

unlock it ?

Posted

What do you mean by 'unlock'? Boot loader, or carrier?

Posted

I wanted to use non-vodafone sim card but also upgrade to Android 4.2.2.

So 'both' ?

Posted

Well, to permanently unlock the phone, your gonna need to purchase an unlock code. Ebay sells them for about £5 a piece :)

Posted

And you need to be on a stock rom to use the unlock code, so wait and do that before installing JB etc.

Posted

What is stock rom ? I have just bought it from Vodafone. DO I have stock rom or not ?

Posted

Yes you do, stock means the official unchanged rom, as opposed to a custom rom you download from here.

Posted

Can you recommend anyone (cheap but trustworthy :-) ) on Ebay to unlock the phone ?

Posted

Well I used korter_gsm, but he's currently not selling anything, so that doesn't help you, sorry. Maybe someone else can recommend.

Posted

I would suggest purchasing the unlock code from ebay as it's cheap and permanently unlocks your phone, so you wont have to think about that any more. Next step would be to "Root" and then Unlock the "Bootloader". Once that is done Install Clock WorkMod. Once you have installed that then make a "Nandroid" backup so you can return to your current point if you want to.

You can find all the info on how to Root, Unlock Bootloader and install CWM here: http://www.modaco.com/topic/357243-explained-like-youre-5-install-custom-roms-from-scratch-install-the-official-ics-update-root-more/

Also once you have installed CWM, go here and upgrade it to CWM 6. http://www.modaco.com/topic/359191-recovery-cwm-clockworkmod-recovery-v6027-touch-hybrid-cm-last-updated-1601/

Download the "Touch Hybrid" version labeled "ZIP:" and flash it in CWM itself.

IMO start with those things first and then you're set up to install any ICS based rom through CWM.

Posted

I would suggest purchasing the unlock code from ebay as it's cheap and permanently unlocks your phone, so you wont have to think about that any more. Next step would be to "Root" and then Unlock the "Bootloader". Once that is done Install Clock WorkMod. Once you have installed that then make a "Nandroid" backup so you can return to your current point if you want to.

You can find all the info on how to Root, Unlock Bootloader and install CWM here: http://www.modaco.co...date-root-more/

Also once you have installed CWM, go here and upgrade it to CWM 6. http://www.modaco.co...t-updated-1601/

Download the "Touch Hybrid" version labeled "ZIP:" and flash it in CWM itself.

IMO start with those things first and then you're set up to install any ICS based rom through CWM.

TWRP would probably be a better option for a newbie, it has a very nice GUI with easy to operate controls.

Posted

TWRP would probably be a better option for a newbie, it has a very nice GUI with easy to operate controls.

I am not sure if it plays role but I am unix admin (yes - until last week without smatfon ;-) ) but without any knowledge about internals of android etc.

If most of the commands are run from a console - that shouldn't be a problem.

I just need to improve my "vocabulary" about Android internals since it is quite poor (I had to read what is CWM, etc).

Posted

I think he wants to install JB 4.22 so he will need to use CWM 6 which will allow him to get the OTA updates when they're released.. And although the UI isn't Newb friendly, it aint all that hard to figure out especially when the DEVs give instructions on how install their particular rom...

Posted

If I root and then install new Android - will I loose all installed applications so far ?

Posted

I think he wants to install JB 4.22 so he will need to use CWM 6 which will allow him to get the OTA updates when they're released.. And although the UI isn't Newb friendly, it aint all that hard to figure out especially when the DEVs give instructions on how install their particular rom...

Yes - I'd like to install JB 4.22.

Posted

If I root and then install new Android - will I loose all installed applications so far ?

Yes, You will, as you have to do a factory reset before you flash (install) the ROM

Posted

Yes, You will, as you have to do a factory reset before you flash (install) the ROM

Is there any way to save them and then restore ?

Or at least make a list of installed software (without writing it on a paper sheet) and use sort of apt-get/yum ;-) ?

Posted

Is there any way to save them and then restore ?

Or at least make a list of installed software (without writing it on a paper sheet) and use sort of apt-get/yum ;-) ?

I would recommend go backup from the play store as it now has the 200mb limit removed (free app)

Posted

I would recommend go backup from the play store as it now has the 200mb limit removed (free app)

What? Does this mean that you can backup your apps and their save data, and then restore them in the new ROM?

Posted

Any URL ?

Posted

TWRP allows you to update to 4.2.2 as well. Didn't you know that?

Posted

What? Does this mean that you can backup your apps and their save data, and then restore them in the new ROM?

Of course, those apps are quite old now :P