MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ask MoDaCo: Huawei Ascend G510

56 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PaulOBrien' timestamp='1366190783']
Just SIM unlocked mine for less than 4 quid! Huzzah! :D

P
[/quote]

Care to provide a link so we know which one works?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='KenBW2' timestamp='1366203270' post='2114940']

Care to provide a link so we know which one works?
[/quote]

Coming up!

P

Posted · Report post

[quote name='princeotter' timestamp='1366139391']
That's ex VAT price £108.34 plus VAT = £130
[/quote]

Well the price has gone up to £150. I dropped into the Vodafone stand at Victoria Station this morning where they had stocks of the phone and the price at the till was not £130. I said it was £130 on the website, but the salesman - without checking - said that was a 'release' price. I declined.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Soup Thief' timestamp='1366185113']
@flibblesan & @Sebastian404 Bit weird - I get what you're saying about the dual sim model probably being a Chinese release with an mtk chipset but if you check the links I posted above they both claim to be selling the dual sim version with msm8225 processors (snapdragon s4 play) - neither ad makes reference to the g510d. Maybe both have got their ads wrong, but that seems a bit of an odd coincidence.
[/quote]

msm8225 supports dual sim, so does msm7225a

Posted · Report post

Might upgrade from my U8800 but not sure yet, for those that got this phone what is the camera like to use?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Soup Thief' timestamp='1366185113']
@flibblesan & @Sebastian404 Bit weird - I get what you're saying about the dual sim model probably being a Chinese release with an mtk chipset but if you check the links I posted above they both claim to be selling the dual sim version with msm8225 processors (snapdragon s4 play) - neither ad makes reference to the g510d. Maybe both have got their ads wrong, but that seems a bit of an odd coincidence.
[/quote]

From the Chinese firmware I found :

[CODE]ro.product.model=HUAWEI G510-0010
ro.product.brand=Huawei
ro.product.name=G510-0010
ro.product.device=hwG510-0010
ro.product.board=U8951D
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=HUAWEI
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.board.platform=msm7627a[/CODE]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Sebastian404' timestamp='1366224445' post='2115073']

From the Chinese firmware I found :

[CODE]ro.product.model=HUAWEI G510-0010
ro.product.brand=Huawei
ro.product.name=G510-0010
ro.product.device=hwG510-0010
ro.product.board=U8951D
ro.board.platform=msm7627a[/CODE][/quote]
Crikey! That's a pretty cunning way of checking! So that's a Snapdragon s1?
’Curiouser and curiouser!’ Cried Alice...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Soup Thief' timestamp='1366226571']
Crikey! That's a pretty cunning way of checking! So that's a Snapdragon s1?
’Curiouser and curiouser!’ Cried Alice...
[/quote]

And this is from my Vodafone branded UK model:
[CODE]

ro.product.model=HUAWEI G510-0100
ro.product.brand=Huawei
ro.product.name=G510-0100
ro.product.device=hwG510-0100
ro.product.board=U8951N-1
ro.board.platform=msm7627a
[/CODE]

slightly different board name....

Posted · Report post

Reminds me of ZTE and their dozen subtly different blade variants...
It's like deja vu all over again

Posted · Report post

Good paul obrien, I wanted to ask you a question, I am a fan of yours for your roms Mobile and wanted to know if for Huawei G510 MoDaCo rom will have some available in the future? for the version of qualcomm? a hug

Posted · Report post

So the development of the spanish g510 will not be compatible with the UK one and vice versa?

Posted · Report post

Don't pay attention to the board platform. The CPU is definitely a dual-core MSM8225.

The key information is
U8915N = UK G510
U8915D = China Dual-SIM G510 (Snapdragon)

I'm starting to think that there isn't a Mediatek version out there. It was reported back in January but it's possible that this was either a mistake or Huawei changed to Snapdragon.

[quote name='Glicerck' timestamp='1366276228']
So the development of the spanish g510 will not be compatible with the UK one and vice versa?
[/quote]
Too early to know for sure but it's likely to be compatible.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Voxpop2011' timestamp='1366217812'] Well the price has gone up to £150. I dropped into the Vodafone stand at Victoria Station this morning where they had stocks of the phone and the price at the till was not £130. I said it was £130 on the website, but the salesman - without checking - said that was a 'release' price. I declined. [/quote]

Confirmed at £150 + £10 topup in the Bradford store too. I made a hasty purchase on the website for £130 + £0 topup.

They did this with the G300 IIRC so might be time to buy now

Posted · Report post

[quote name='kyan31' timestamp='1366128071']
Does the 512mb ram actually affect the phones performance when used normally? Do you notice any stutter or lag?

Oh, and how much ram is actually available, because huawei botched the ICS build for the G300, it only had around 100mb ram free even on the first boot :P

Thanks in advance :)
[/quote]
The only explanation is that huawei doesn't make good optimisations. U can't compare de G300 wiz the G510. I've tried both and G510 have more or less 130MB of free RAM

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Chrisund123' timestamp='1366196236' post='2114906']

No official Jellybean though![/quote]

Some unofficial ROMs end up being miles ahead than the official manufactured ROM, so this doesn't really matter to be honest :P

Posted · Report post

[quote name='KenBW2' timestamp='1366285217']
... I made a hasty purchase on the website for £130 + £0 topup.
[/quote]

Please let us know your impressions. Today the price is £180 on Vodafone's website, but I did find it for £155 in a store. Won't buy, if at all, until I have got rid of my second OMC.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Voxpop2011' timestamp='1366305568' post='2115434']
Please let us know your impressions. Today the price is £180 on Vodafone's website, but I did find it for £155 in a store. Won't buy, if at all, until I have got rid of my second OMC.
[/quote]

Where the hell are you looking????? It has been £130 on the Vodafone UK website since Monday :wacko:

Posted (edited) · Report post

[size=4]Just spoke to Vodafone and this DOES NOT have Gorilla Glass or a scratch resistant display, well that's what they say, so maybe it does lol[/size]

[u][b][size=4]Update[/size][/b][/u]

[size=4]Just like I thought, they know nothing useless idiots, off the Huawei website [u][b]"[color=#333333][font='Corbel W01 Regular', Corbel, 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans']Big 4.5" screen, slim design and protected by tough Gorilla Glass." [/font][/color][/b][/u][/size]

[color=#333333][font='Corbel W01 Regular', Corbel, 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans']No wonder I call them "VODACRAP"[/font][/color][u][b][color=#333333][font='Corbel W01 Regular', Corbel, 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans'] [/font][/color][/b][/u] Edited by Andymac1969

Posted · Report post

Eurodroid have one of these and they just tweeted this photo that was taken with the G510 camera. Looks really good! https://twitter.com/Eurodroid/status/324962405815824386/photo/1

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Andymac1969' timestamp='1366305754']
Where the hell are you looking????? It has been £130 on the Vodafone UK website since Monday :wacko:
[/quote]

It's my crap eyesight. Sometimes 3s look like 8s.

@Andymac, none of the staff in any of the mobile phone shops knows diddly squat. New stock comes in and just gets locked into a cupboard. You really have to prompt staff to check.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Voxpop2011' timestamp='1366317083' post='2115522']

It's my crap eyesight. Sometimes 3s look like 8s.

@Andymac, none of the staff in any of the mobile phone shops knows diddly squat. New stock comes in and just gets locked into a cupboard. You really have to prompt staff to check.
[/quote]

No problem, i'll troop into the local shop tomorrow and see what they say, Vodafone do not inspire me with confidence :unsure:

Posted · Report post

[quote name='kevin_23' timestamp='1366275893' post='2115226']
Good paul obrien, I wanted to ask you a question, I am a fan of yours for your roms Mobile and wanted to know if for Huawei G510 MoDaCo rom will have some available in the future? for the version of qualcomm? a hug
[/quote]

Not planned at this stage!

[quote name='Voxpop2011' timestamp='1366217812' post='2115036']

Well the price has gone up to £150. I dropped into the Vodafone stand at Victoria Station this morning where they had stocks of the phone and the price at the till was not £130. I said it was £130 on the website, but the salesman - without checking - said that was a 'release' price. I declined.
[/quote]

Strange, at least it's still £130 on the website!

P

Posted · Report post

This is the service I used to unlock mine!

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362050-modaco-approve-huawei-unlock-codes-request-here/

P

Posted · Report post

Custom ROMs.. well I know Sebastian404 bought one so he may knock out a custom recovery for the device (hint hint). Maybe a debranded ROM to get the ball rolling.

And I'm tempted to get one myself. Not promising anything though ;)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='flibblesan' timestamp='1366378037']
Custom ROMs.. well I know Sebastian404 bought one so he may knock out a custom recovery for the device (hint hint). Maybe a debranded ROM to get the ball rolling.

And I'm tempted to get one myself. Not promising anything though ;)
[/quote]

That would be golden. I've played with my newly arrived one and I'm finding myself fighting through Huawei's, and then Vodafone's crapware. I just want AOSP :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MoDaCo is part of the MoDaCo.network, © Paul O'Brien 2002-2015. MoDaCo uses IntelliTxt technology.