• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

RAM Expand

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's a swap file creator. A swap file is a virtual stick of ram added with a file on your SD card. That means that part of the RAM will be a lot less responsive and its speed will be limited by the SD card read/write speed.

By the way, it's uselessly expensive. It's a waste of money, there are some free alternatives like swapper.

Edited by klezkk

Posted · Report post

It really works, but you need to have kernel which allows swapping. Without it any soft (paid and free) is useless!

btw. need root, busybox installed and card with write speed more than 6MB/S (and compatible kernel + unlocked bootloader of course)

Posted · Report post

I have #6 from PaulMilBank, works?!

Posted · Report post

i got that app but it said its not conpatable witjh my g300 are yu sure it works with paulmilbank kernal?

Posted · Report post

I'm totally interested in this. Does this work and what are the threats? Could someone explain a bit more about this? It would be nice to have extra ram :)

Posted · Report post

Hi can I ask? How do I know, that swapper works? I have B952 SLIM v11 Ouch Kernel 1.4

Posted · Report post

Apparently it can brick the device. Does anyone know more about this?

Posted · Report post

Apparently it can brick the device

Says who?

Posted · Report post

Hi can I ask? How do I know, that swapper works? I have B952 SLIM v11 Ouch Kernel 1.4

Install Terminal Emulator and after running type "free" (without hashes). If it works you will see row with "swap" and some numbers equals to size of chosen SWAP.file/ used swap and free swap amount.

Apparently it can brick the device. Does anyone know more about this?

Brick? Root can brick, flashing CWM/ROM etc. can brick, BRICK or hammer can brick it too... XD But only INSTALLATION of APK file and creating SWAP.FILE cant brick phone!

OT - could someone brick his phone after installing (for ex.) Angry Birds? xD

Posted · Report post

Got a brick by using this app. :D

Posted · Report post

Got a brick by using this app. :D

I doubt it. If the app could easily brick phones then i'm pretty sure google wouldn't like it on the play store.

Posted (edited) · Report post

however fast sd card you think you got, it will still be over 100 times slower than the ram - plus, with constants writing and reading you greatly risk data corruption (and shortening of the card's life - their average lifespan is just that, average)

you will only benefit from this if you are a really heavy multitasker, otherwise every single app executing from the page file will just run needlesly slower, and when the system files end up there, the overall lagging ensues (and i highly doubt it's sophisticated enough to prevent that)...

oh, and it will constantly drain your battery as well

Edited by pOcHa

Posted · Report post

Dose having the swap file on the internal SD partition solve these issues as it is flash rather than sd . or would this shorten the life of my phone

Posted · Report post

I doubt it. If the app could easily brick phones then i'm pretty sure google wouldn't like it on the play store.

Not really, as long as the app states that it could potentially brick your phone, Google will allow it on the Play Store. Its not Google's fault if anything goes wrong as you decided to root in the fist place, already putting your phone in danger and voiding its warranty simultaneously.

Posted · Report post

An alternative is to use Zram instead, which creates a compressed swapfile in memory so you're not wearing out your SD card. Requires kernel support, eg Paul's or Ouch.

However, I find that when it gets full the phone becomes sluggish, with no way to clear out the swap. I don't think it works well with Android's memory management. Tweaking some kernel parameters might fix it.

I've had better mileage using Greenify to prevent rogue apps running in the background (eg Maps), using up previous memory that other apps need.

Posted · Report post

Tried it & didn't notice any real difference (One Electra ROM)- I would also recommend Greenify if the phone is getting sluggish

Posted · Report post

Guys, if you use custom ROMs, there is no need of using SWAP. Few days ago I moved from stock B952 (ics) to CM9 and got much better performance, RAM management and stability. For testing was game Real Racing 3 which constantly makes troubles in stock ics/gb - freezing, lags, phone restarting. Now it works flawlessly, no troubles.

The same thing with games like CSR Racing, Ravensword2 etc. All is compatible with G300 but with stock they are unplayable.

So if you really want to boost your phone and have better game (and system) performance - GO FOR CM9.

btw. In antutu benchmark I got 3900 with stock ics and GAMEBOOSTER/greenify/seeder (1008Mhz CPU). - and game troubles

With CM9 have 4200 (CPU 1152Mhz) and only ZRAM enabled... no more game troubles

and friend of mine CM10 (CPU 1228Mhz) - dont know the other settings - ONLY 4100...

Posted · Report post

For me greenify solves all my ram and lag problems :)

Posted · Report post

If I remember correctly, the swapper app default setting was to use a partition in the filesystem it was not meant to on the G300. Thus it could create a brick. You needed to specify the correct location for the swap file before enabling it.

Google don't care and can't be held responsible for what you do on the phone especially if you have rooted it. If the app is not a virus, Google will pretty much allow it on the store.Also, if you have root, you can do and run anything anywhere with the highest level of privilege. It is a dangerous thing if used incorrectly. Thats why Google have been trying to make things like screen capture etc available without root so people don't feel the need to compromise phone security and longevity by playing around where they should not. Root is locked down for a reason out of the box.