Nook Simple Touch reduced to £29

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The rootable, Android based Nook Simple Touch e-ink e-reader is currently reduced to £29 across the web... but you'll have to get in quick because it's selling out FAST!

The 6" device, detailed here, runs Android 2.1 Eclair underneath it's proprietary UI but you can root it and have some fun, as detailed in this LifeHacker article.

Most of the main stores (Argos, Sainsburys, Asda) have all sold out already but with some detective work we managed to find it in stock at Foyles... where delivery is free and you can also get 7% cashback courtesy of TopCashback!

As we said, you'll need to get in fast, they won't be around long!

Full details on the device itself can be found at the B&N site.

Click here to view the item

Guest Mark Dearlove

got one from Sainsburys, then decided on a second - this time from Foyles. Bargain. One to get rooted, the other for the Mrs and Son

Guest The Soup Thief

Bingo - got one from Foyles

Looks like some great hacky opportunities ahead of me with this little gadget :-)

Ta for the tip!

Guest Simon O

Also since it has officially dropped to £29 you should be able to buy it from John Lewis who are still advertising it for £79. They should price match against Nook themselves.

Guest Zarch1972

Barnes & Noble say this is a "limited time offer", but they've taken out adverts in the today's national press pushing the £29 price, so hopefully enough stock for everyone to get one.

So what are people's plans for their Nook when they arrive?

Root, Kindle App, Gapps and Google Play Store?

Guest The Soup Thief

Absolutely! Seems there are no Roms particularly more stable than stock (from my limited reading) so it's just a matter of removing the Nook skin in order to get at the Eclair beneath.

Thought maybe a chess game as well, along with Guardian Unlimited. Fast File Transfer will be handy to get pdfs on and off for work, or failing that Dropbox. Also something like Moon Reader to facilitate highlighting/editing pdfs. Would be handy if it supports some very basic text editor too.

A basic music player? Wonder if it can handle TuneIn radio, so I can listen while I read.

I'm bizarrely excited about getting my paws on this!

Guest everett_psycho

Well I ordered one, not sure how much use it will get but I'd rather pay only £29 to find out. Don't plan on much though, might stick the play store and kindle app on it mainly to get access to extra books and magazines. Drop box might be useful too to share work from my PC, I don't think it's up to doing anything more taxing like synching lots of background apps

Guest WebWacker

Indeed, it seems that international shipping is not available. Too bad, I would love to get my hands on a Nook Simple Touch in The Netherlands for only £29.

Guest The Soup Thief

I got international shipping to Ireland from Foyles (link in 1st post). Cost £5, but seemed to ship everywhere (plus the shipping cost was cancelled out by the topcashback discount!)

Guest ultravox

Thanks, just ordered from Blackwells :).

Further details:

Available for sale to UK customers only; we cannot supply to overseas customers.

The clearly state that they won't ship. How did you do it?

Guest tidsoptimist

Further details:

Available for sale to UK customers only; we cannot supply to overseas customers.

The clearly state that they won't ship. How did you do it?

Tried to order one as well.

Did a new account with my real adress and got charged for the p&p 3.50.

Lets see if they cancel it or not =)

Guest ultravox

Thx for the reply.

Got in contact with a friend that asked a UK resident to order it directly from Nook and after will ship it to us. 3 on the way, hehe

Guest WebWacker

I did the same, hopefully they won't cancel my order :)

Guest Zarch1972

Has anyone who ordered direct from Nook had their money taken yet? I ordered Tuesday afternoon and have had nothing but an order confirmation email and no money taken yet. :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.