Did you buy a Nook Simple Touch - share your adventures here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Did you buy a Nook Simple Touch? I did. :)

Share your adventures here!

My plan is to use Nook Manager to root etc., then NTGAppsAttack to install GApps, then i'm going to install the Kindle app for starters. After that, who knows. :)

P

Guest Zarch1972

Once rooted, I think Kindle app will be one of the first things for me as I have loads of books against my Amazon account.

Guest Mark Dearlove

Got 1 for rooting and 1 for stock - drobpox sync will go on so I can sync my calibre library direct to the device.

Guest Zarch1972

I'm not sure i'm really that bothered about getting email, browsers and more complicated apps on the device. I just want it to read on.... i've got phone for mail and browsing etc that can surely provide a better experience than a eInk display?

Guest everett_psycho

I think root it and add kindle drop box and the play store, should give me access to loads of books and magazines from all 3 stores and make transferring fills to it nice and simple. I don't think the specs or eink display will be up to a whole lot more than that though

Guest Zarch1972

So the device has 2gb internal...... wonder how much is actually left usable? At least there's a microSD slot for expansion.

Has anyone got any experience of

Moon Reader+ : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5mbHllcnNvZnQubW9vbnJlYWRlciJd

Aldiko Reader: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aldiko.android&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmFsZGlrby5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

I'm thinking store and manage collection on PC (under Calibre control) in a dropbox folder that is then synced to the Nook and use one of the above apps to read the files?

Guest meddler

Paul bought two (just to be safe). Amazingly still available from nook.co.uk.

Edited by meddler

Guest Mark Dearlove

Mmm, Calibre is new to me!

P

I use it to keep my books separate from my daughters - Calibre allows you to create custom tags for a particular book, as well as converting formats and downloading/updating metadata

Guest SpruceyB

Just ordered one from John Lewis, mostly for my girlfriend to use as is but I am considering using it for web browser and twitter outside on sunny days (if we have any this summer)

Guest The Soup Thief

Twitter's painful on an e-ink kindle due to the slow refresh - this surprised me though http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2012/03/16/watching-videos-on-a-nook-simple-touch-seriously/

Also the lack of mobile connection means it would always need to be tethered / wifi'd for twitter access, in which case, easier to use your phone

Just read that the Nook lacks a headphone jack :-( Bye bye internet radio / music while I read

Ebooks, proofing pdfs & chess for mine I reckon

Reckon the typing will be as good or bad as any tablet with an 800mhz processor. Manageable, but somewhere south of 90 words/min :P

Guest Mark Dearlove

Just picked mine up from Sainsburys - Foyles one not arrived yet. Rooting is about to commence.

Edited by Mark Dearlove

Guest SpruceyB

My John Lewis one was meant to be available at my Waitrose from 2pm yesterday, no SMS though.

Emailed them to ask what was going on and got no reply.

Went in to Waitrose today as I was in the vicinity anyway and found out they actually had no stock and had just not bothered to inform me.

Still, got 1 coming from Very by next week and picking one up from Currys on Sunday.

After this lack of communication & my HP Touchpad order being sent by Yodel (who didn't even attempt delivery) I will not be using John Lewis for anything ever again.