Root your G510

Guest Simon O

The method in the first post works for UK devices.

use the B165 update.app first, then root the phone.

Then download and run the B173 boot.img

You now have root. However root does not mean custom roms. The bootloader will still need to be unlocked if you want to run a complete custom ROM.

Guest Voxpop2011

You now have root. However root does not mean custom roms. The bootloader will still need to be unlocked if you want to run a complete custom ROM.

Clarity at last. Never got into the whole custom rom scene - always too scared that I would break my device - but rooting so that I can clear out some of the crud is what I would like. Cheers.

Guest Simon O

Clarity at last. Never got into the whole custom rom scene - always too scared that I would break my device - but rooting so that I can clear out some of the crud is what I would like. Cheers.

I've checked a few things and we sadly still need the bootloader unlocked if we want to use custom recovery and roms etc. But for now at least people can use root applications. I've taken things a bit too far on my own device by removing most of the Huawei stuff and replacing with original files. I'm use to playing with devices that have locked bootloaders since I had the San Diego so I've been using a few methods from that device to change things around. It's not very user friendly though so if I end up releasing anything it'll be for unlocked bootloaders.

Guest KenBW2

I've checked a few things and we sadly still need the bootloader unlocked if we want to use custom recovery and roms etc. But for now at least people can use root applications. I've taken things a bit too far on my own device by removing most of the Huawei stuff and replacing with original files. I'm use to playing with devices that have locked bootloaders since I had the San Diego so I've been using a few methods from that device to change things around. It's not very user friendly though so if I end up releasing anything it'll be for unlocked bootloaders.

I think once Huawei get someone who knows what they're talking about they're fairly happy to give out the bootloader unlock code, so it's just a case of pestering them till you get it. Maybe a sticky for "Getting your bootloader unlock code via email" and paste in what Andymac emailed them with success. It worked for me after the first email I sent them, I assume it'll work for anyone.

Guest Simon O

If you root your device then you won't be able to install custom recovery or flash anything unofficial. This just allows you to use root applications and make changes to the current rom on your device IF you know what you are doing. It's safer to have full unlocked bootloader so you can flash unofficial software and backup your phone etc.

Guest xondrax

I have unlocked bootloader,installed TWRP and looking what can I do to have root ... On the Blade I was using Koushik´s superuser app.

Guest Simon O

I have unlocked bootloader,installed TWRP and looking what can I do to have root ... On the Blade I was using Koushik´s superuser app.

In that case you can flash any of the superuser zips to get that installed. If you want full root then you'll need an insecure boot.img. If you are using the UK B171 Vodafone ROM then flashing the B170 root image will be enough.

Guest Voxpop2011

You now have root.

The download for B173 G510-200 (General - recommended version) returns an error message in German. :o

Guest radu_sergiu

Hello,

I tried to root my phone based on that tutorial. [only to root, not to update firmware, etc].

So, I did only two steps:

1. I installed the drivers for Huawei in my Win 7 laptop;
  2. I installed unlock root 3.1 sofware.

When I am pressing root button, the program recognize my phone [HUAWEI G510 -0100] and try to root the phone. There are some steps there , but in step2 I receive the message “'FAIL TO GET SHELL ROOT

Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Guest joba69

Hello,

I tried to root my phone based on that tutorial. [only to root, not to update firmware, etc].

So, I did only two steps:

• I installed the drivers for Huawei in my Win 7 laptop;

• I installed unlock root 3.1 sofware.

When I am pressing root button, the program recognize my phone [HUAWEI G510 -0100] and try to root the phone. There are some steps there , but in step2 I receive the message “'FAIL TO GET SHELL ROOT

Did I miss something?

Thanks,

As described in the root thread ...you have to use the B165 update.app first, before try to root

Guest radu_sergiu

Sorry for stupid questions which i will ask. Why should i install another firmware at the begining of the process? i just want to root the phone to have full access in order to delete vodafone preinstall apllications and to work on volume system settings.

Guest joba69

Sorry for stupid questions which i will ask. Why should i install another firmware at the begining of the process? i just want to root the phone to have full access in order to delete vodafone preinstall apllications and to work on volume system settings.

Just to get a shell open and the possability to transfer files that required to make root working for your device ..

1) Install the G510 drivers on your computer: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/c22779a3f2/

2) Install the Unlock Root 3.1 on your computer: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/53794302f9/

4) Install the boot.img Update.app with the B165: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/c32cf84149/

Boot.img ** If the B165 does not work well, try the B170: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/8bbd3b75e1/

5) Start the phone, go to "Settings> Development" and activate the "USB debugging".

6) Connect your phone to your computer and run the program Unlock Root. When the phone is detected, click "ROOT". When finished close the program, unplug the cable and restart the phone

So follow steps described above ..point 3 is not nessecary

Guest radu_sergiu

Roger that. So acctualy i missed only step 4. After that i will have another firmware in my phone because of the step 4) or the original one? Thanks for your patience.

Guest joba69

Roger that. So acctualy i missed only step 4. After that i will have another firmware in my phone because of the step 4) or the original one? Thanks for your patience.

You had same firmware installed, it only changes the boot.img

Guest radu_sergiu

So, for step 4 i will install b165 update even i have g510 0100 b170 vodafone romania only for root purpose. After rooting i wll not do anything...i hope that i understood well. In this evening i will try it. I will inform you about result.thanks a lot joba!!!

LE i will put that update file in folder dload from sdcard and after that i will press from my phone update from sd card. Am i right?

Edited by radu_sergiu

Guest joba69

So, for step 4 i will install b165 update even i have g510 0100 b170 vodafone romania only for root purpose. After rooting i wll not do anything...i hope that i understood well. In this evening i will try it. I will inform you about result.thanks a lot joba!!!

Hi.. i could only provide you the information ...how i root my phone .. and i use the same tutorial ..for my german phone / version G510 - 0100 b170. Remember that everything you try in this direction is at own risk.

But for me it is working perfectly... :-) All the best and goog luck to u

Guest Voxpop2011

Hands up all you UK owners who have managed to root their phone with the bootloader still locked?

Edited by Voxpop2011

Guest Voxpop2011

In that case can you walk me through the tutorial - see my earlier comment re not being able to download one of the components.

Thanks

Guest Combat Gerbil

I just followed these steps below.. you don't need the B173 boot.img..

1) Install the G510 drivers on your computer: http://www.solidfile...m/d/c22779a3f2/

2) Install the Unlock Root 3.1 on your computer: http://www.solidfile...m/d/53794302f9/

3) Install the boot.img Update.app with the B165: http://www.solidfile...m/d/c32cf84149/ in the usual way from SD card. (start phone holding power, vol up and vol down.)

Boot.img ** If the B165 does not work well, try the B170: http://www.solidfile...m/d/8bbd3b75e1/

5) Start the phone, go to "Settings> Development" and activate the "USB debugging".

6) Connect your phone to your computer and run the program Unlock Root. When the phone is detected, click "ROOT". When finished close the program, unplug the cable and restart the phone

Edited by Combat Gerbil