Huawei G510: Chinese Ebay, Software update?

Guest PhoneUser911

Guest PhoneUser911

Hi,

I purchased Huawei G510 from Hong Kong (ebay) and the phone arrived today. It has no Google Play and I can't even install it as an apk file.

I have downloaded the Huawei Stock Firmware from this postand the EU Vodafone Stock Firmware from this post . How do I put the phone manually into software update mode?

Is it:

Option 1:

1. Copy the dload folder to the root of my SD Card

2. Press Volume up + Volume down + Power at the same time

3. Let the phone do its magic

or:

Option 2:

2. Press Volume up THEN Volume down THEN Power

OR can I use the recovery option in some way instead of this software update? Do I need to zip the dload folder for that?

Right now this phone has no gmail, no google play so its pretty much useless!

Is there any other way for me to apply the updates for the phone to become useable?

The current build version on my phone is T8951V100R001CHNC01B207

Thanks

Edited by PhoneUser911

Guest PhoneUser911

Option 1.

Thanks my friend, I also playing around and figured it out but many Thanks :)

Ok Guys,

Tried to update and I get the following error message...

Init dload file num=0,filename=/sdcard/dload/update.app

file -/sdcard/dload/update.app size=44f960fc bytes.

Begin update /sdcard/dload/update.app

First check parition of update package

verify: unkonwn module - INPUT

error: partition verify is failed

Update /sdcard/dload/update.app failed

Exit Force mode SD

I am not used to this but after reading all the threads multiple time I have reached the conclusion that my bootloader is locked (I don't know how to verify it but it seems to be the case). So I need to:

1. Get the code from Huawei http://www.huaweidev...ethod=preUnlock

2. Then follow these steps to unlock http://www.huaweidev...d=getUnlockStep

3. Then I Copy the dload folder to the root of my SD Card

4. Press Volume up + Volume down + Power at the same time

5. Let the phone do its magic

I am a complete newbie so trying to follow instructions so a confirmation that I am on the right track from someone who knows what they are doing would be nice :)

No idea if my thinking is on the right track or not but I have read up all the threads many times over.

I cannot find any ROM for this anywhere, heck I am willing to flash with any ROM which gives me English and Google Play so I can get a few Apps going.

Edited by PhoneUser911

Guest Simon O

You have a Chinese model which is the G510-0010 so you're stuck with flashing China Unicom images. At the moment there isn't any way to change the model in the phone so you can flash other images. Best option is to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery image then flash a custom ROM.

Guest PhoneUser911

You have a Chinese model which is the G510-0010 so you're stuck with flashing China Unicom images. At the moment there isn't any way to change the model in the phone so you can flash other images. Best option is to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery image then flash a custom ROM.

Hi,

Thanks for your response :)

Getting ready to unlock once I get the codes...

And my guess is that once unlocked I then need to flash the Phone with [ROM]G510-0100 V100R001C02B170 which frazer_cooper pointed out and not the original [ROM] Stock firmware for the Huawei G510

Lets keep the fingers crossed.

Guest hleaker

This is my first smartphone and have just bought it form China and can't load up PlayStore or Chrome - I am little daunted by what I have read so wondered if anyone had the patience and goodwill to summarise what a newbie needs to do .......... many thanks in advance, Haydn who was so pleased when the phone arrived but so disappointed with these issues.G510-0010V100R001C17B173 Android 4.1.1 Kernel 3.4.0-perf-g0d04852-00781-g74027e0android@localhost #1 SMP PREEMPT fri Jan 11 06:20:30 CST2013

Guest PhoneUser911

This is my first smartphone and have just bought it form China and can't load up PlayStore or Chrome - I am little daunted by what I have read so wondered if anyone had the patience and goodwill to summarise what a newbie needs to do .......... many thanks in advance, Haydn who was so pleased when the phone arrived but so disappointed with these issues.G510-0010V100R001C17B173 Android 4.1.1 Kernel 3.4.0-perf-g0d04852-00781-g74027e0android@localhost #1 SMP PREEMPT fri Jan 11 06:20:30 CST2013

Hi,

Just to help anyone who may be trying this out...

I couldn't get the site to work to request my code so I emailed [email protected] with the following email Sunday night:

Hi,

I tried to get the Bootloader unlock code from your site but the site doesn't seem to be working properly. My details are as follows:

Serial Number: [b]X[/b]

IMEI: [b]X[/b]

Product ID: [b]X[/b]

Please send me the Bootloader unlock code.

Thanks

Within hours I got an acknowledgement (first thing Monday) as follows:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Huawei device.

We has retailed your needs to our correlative department.

And there will have expert to help you with your needs in three working days.

Please wait a period of time.

Once again thank you for contacting Huawei device.

Best Regards.

Huawei Device Customer Care Team.

Hopefully once I get the code I am ready to follow instructions here:

http://www.huaweidev...d=getUnlockStep

1. I will download the latest adbtoolkit from their site I guess the nightly build which is 645 MB

2. Am I correct in assuming that the Huawei.rar file has the drivers for my phone?

Thanks

Guest ZolaIII

Tray out the Chinese version of the play store that comes with Chinese version installed & all other's present in the rom bat not installed! It's called app center! There is a only small number of apps & they are mostly maid for Chinese population, but there are some good aps tu like Maxton browser (newer version then on a play store?). Eniway you can find all you essentially need at least till you get the code!

The play store can be manually installed on eni phone! As you can also download the aps from play store using browser!

Really interesting thing is that this app uses you're Huaweis registration to log in & that there is much more Huawei apps there then on the global market! Nothing tu useful at the moment. Ther are & some 3 part useful aps like all backup that is pre installed on all versions!

Hope that you will find this useful!

Guest PhoneUser911

Tray out the Chinese version of the play store that comes with Chinese version installed & all other's present in the rom bat not installed! It's called app center! There is a only small number of apps & they are mostly maid for Chinese population, but there are some good aps tu like Maxton browser (newer version then on a play store?). Eniway you can find all you essentially need at least till you get the code!

The play store can be manually installed on eni phone! As you can also download the aps from play store using browser!

Really interesting thing is that this app uses you're Huaweis registration to log in & that there is much more Huawei apps there then on the global market! Nothing tu useful at the moment. Ther are & some 3 part useful aps like all backup that is pre installed on all versions!

Hope that you will find this useful!

Hi,

I have tried downloadning the Google Play.apk file and installing it and after installation it just flashes but never opens.

I have tried Google Player through the Browser and it just says that Apps will be downloaded but nothing happens.

The Chinese App Installer opens, looks at the SD Card and I installed Google Play.apk file and installing it and after installation it just flashes but never opens.

App Installer does nothing else but installs from the SD Card...I have no idea on even how to uninstall the Chinese Apps from the Phone.

Guest ZolaIII

All Google aps are tide to the Gmail account!

So ad one then tray installing the play store.

I don't see why it would not work?

Guest PhoneUser911

All Google aps are tide to the Gmail account!

So ad one then tray installing the play store.

I don't see why it would not work?

My friend your help is much appreciated so let me try again to try ot explain step by step.

1. I went to Google play using the browser of my phone https://play.google.com/store?hl=en_GB
  2. I signed in with my gmail ID and it loged on
  3. To double check I even went to gmail and checked my emails etc and they are all there and visible and I can reply to emails which means that that gmail ID works and Google Play has an Account
  4. When I try to download any apps e.g. gmail it says, "Your App will be downloaded to your Phone" but nothing happens...The app neither downloads nor appears in my download folder
  5. I have tried to install the latest Google Play.apk and it installs sucessfully but never launches. When the button is clicked it flashes (never opens) and returns back to the screen

Perhaps my phone is not rooted or perhaps my bootloader is locked but I am neither able to installed Google Play (via .apk) nor install any apps while using Google play using the browser of my phone https://play.google.com/store?hl=en_GB

I don't know the reasons at all.

Thank You.

Guest ZolaIII

The answer is simple, Huawei blocked the access to play store to promote their pandan of it. This is really bad thing for all Chinese costumers & users! So it's a Huaweis loose! Android is a open platform & Google should start to punish this sort of behavior! Nok did the same thing! You really don't have other choice then to unlock the boot loader & switch to international firmware!

Guest PhoneUser911

The answer is simple, Huawei blocked the access to play store to promote their pandan of it. This is really bad thing for all Chinese costumers & users! So it's a Huaweis loose! Android is a open platform & Google should start to punish this sort of behavior! Nok did the same thing! You really don't have other choice then to unlock the boot loader & switch to international firmware!

That's exactly what I thought my friend.

How do I put the phone in Fastboot mode? I take the battery out for 10 seconds. I then put the battery back and hold the volume DOWN and power key both for 10 and keep holding but the phone boots and goes into a normal screen?

What am I doing wrong? When I hold Volume UP and Volume DOWN and power Key all at the same time...The phone goes hangs on a trinagle screen with some chinese writing...Is that the Fastboot mode?

I am taking notes so when I get this working I will start a thread and post directions for everyone to follow with pictures.

Here is a Summary so far:

1. When I press Volume UP and Power it goes into a mood where I can reset factory settings, wipe Cache, Apply updates from SD Card

2. When I press Volume DOWN, Volume UP and Power it hangs on a Triangle Screen with Chinese writing

3. When I press Volume DOWN, Volume UP and Power nothing happens and it just boots normall...I have ensured that fastboot is disabled from settings.

Thanks

Edited by PhoneUser911

Guest hleaker

Update: Whilst still waiting for the bootloader unlock code form Huawei (they did respond saying "in a few days") I installed Apex Launcher (using apk) and App Center allowed me to install Chrome, which is good! But I can't "Sign in" and under Accounts in Settings there is no option for Google Account so I can't get my G510 recognised to my Google account.

Apex Launcher allows installation of some apps eg not Perfect Keyboard but yes for Go Keyboard and Pocket, so am making progress! Kingsoft Office is available. Get "error in download link" for OneMediaHub (which I use for syncing my W7 PC Outlook Contacts and Calendar with my Nexus7) and Android Play Store. Next step is to try and get the G510 recognised by Google and see if that makes any difference. Haydn

Guest PhoneUser911

Update: Whilst still waiting for the bootloader unlock code form Huawei (they did respond saying "in a few days") I installed Apex Launcher (using apk) and App Center allowed me to install Chrome, which is good! But I can't "Sign in" and under Accounts in Settings there is no option for Google Account so I can't get my G510 recognised to my Google account.

Apex Launcher allows installation of some apps eg not Perfect Keyboard but yes for Go Keyboard and Pocket, so am making progress! Kingsoft Office is available. Get "error in download link" for OneMediaHub (which I use for syncing my W7 PC Outlook Contacts and Calendar with my Nexus7) and Android Play Store. Next step is to try and get the G510 recognised by Google and see if that makes any difference. Haydn

Hi,

Huawei has an application called HiSuite which will let you synch your contacts from Windows to your phone

http://www.huaweidevice.com/resource/mini/201105239635/hi_suite_en/

1. Install this application from Huawei site
  2. It will install the drivers etc to your laptop
  3. The rest is pretty simple

The issue is that the bootloader is locked and until then not a lot can be done, until then I am trying to get adb and the drivers to work

Guest ZolaIII

The volume up + power opens full recovery menu!

On the bottom of it is ADB update option!

This means that you can update files from a Pc whit ADB driver installed.

The up & down volume + power got me to the purple screen?

I think that the full recovery screen have all posable options for manual selection!

Edited by ZolaIII

Guest ZolaIII

Use Maxton browser for all of that & it's even faster than Crome!

I did the peacekeeper benchmark to confirm this!

Cloud let's you to sync the data, notes....

Guest PhoneUser911

The volume up + power opens full recovery menu!

On the bottom of it is ADB update option!

This means that you can update files from a Pc whit ADB driver installed.

The up & down volume + power got me to the purple screen?

I think that the full recovery screen have all posable options for manual selection!

Hi,

The last menu on the Recovery menu is "Huawei TP Download from SD Card"

I am looking for fastboot which sebastian talks about here:

The G510 has (by default) a locked bootloader.

you can check your device by putting it into fastboot mode (remove the battery, reinstall it, and then hold down Volume Up and Power for a couple of seconds) and then using the 'fastboot oem get-bootinfo' command:

post-764508-0-30814500-1366232088_thumb.

To unlock your bootloader you need to need to request an unlock password from Huawei, via this url:

http://www.huaweidev...d=toApplyUnlock

Once you get your unlock password, follow the instructions from Huawei to unlock:

http://www.huaweidev...d=getUnlockStep

I don't get fastboot when I press the Volume DOWN + Power button

Guest PhoneUser911

Is there a ADB update option if there is one you can use it & use the unlockroot!

My friend,

No! I have written the last option on recovery option is "Huawei TP Download from SD Card"

Guest Kra1o5

Hi,

I purchased Huawei G510 from Hong Kong (ebay) and the phone arrived today. It has no Google Play and I can't even install it as an apk file.

I have downloaded the Huawei Stock Firmware from this postand the EU Vodafone Stock Firmware from this post . How do I put the phone manually into software update mode?

Is it:

Option 1:

2. Press Volume up + Volume down + Power at the same time

or:

Option 2:

2. Press Volume up THEN Volume down THEN Power

OR can I use the recovery option in some way instead of this software update? Do I need to zip the dload folder for that?

Right now this phone has no gmail, no google play so its pretty much useless!

Is there any other way for me to apply the updates for the phone to become useable?

Thanks

Your model is Mediatek devices varian not QCOM.

Edited by Kra1o5

Guest PhoneUser911

Your model is Mediatek devices varian not QCOM.

Hi,

What does that mean in plain English? And how do I unlock the bootloader and flash the ROM and make the phone work?