Vodaphone and Huawei unlocking and bloatware removal

Guest echidna

Guest echidna

Hi I currently own an old iphone 3g and want an upgrade and like the look of the G510 on Vodaphone

Iv'e read through the forum but am new to android and would be grateful for a little help.

I'm reluctant to try rooting/unlocking bootloader (is that the same as jailbreaking?) but would like to use O2 rather than Vodaphone.

Can I confirm that the only way to unlock the phone is by paying a retailer for an unlock code eg via MoDaCo approved Huawei unlock codes - request here

Secondly From what I can gather because of the 500 of RAM it seems the phone will run better if it has a bit of a spring clean.

Can anyone guide me through how and what Vodaphone/Huawei bloatware can be removed.

Lastly Emotion UI - can that only be removed by rooting and if left is it that bad to use

How do you install a launcher and where do you get them

Many thanks in advance and apologies if being a thicko

Mark

Edited by echidna

Guest Simon O

Yes, there are no free unlock solutions at the moment. All unlocks are done through online services such as NCK.Server and the codes appear to be coming direct from Huawei as we are getting not only the network unlock code but full device codes which are usually only given by the networks. Service provider codes and simblock codes.

Rooting is dead easy and safe. However you only need to root if you want to run application that require root. If you want to run unofficial firmware such as debranded firmware then you need to request a bootloader unlock from Huawei.

EmotionUI is fine to use and doesn't take too many resources up. Some users prefer to use a different launcher though so removing EmotionUI just frees up a bit of RAM. Launchers are found in the Play Store.

Guest Andymac1969

Hi I currently own an old iphone 3g and want an upgrade and like the look of the G510 on Vodaphone

Iv'e read through the forum but am new to android and would be grateful for a little help.

I'm reluctant to try rooting/unlocking bootloader (is that the same as jailbreaking?) but would like to use O2 rather than Vodaphone.

Can I confirm that the only way to unlock the phone is by paying a retailer for an unlock code eg via MoDaCo approved Huawei unlock codes - request here

You can ask Vodafone to Unlock the phone I believe they charge £20 or use the Modaco system and pay around £5

You unlock the bootloader by sending an Email to Huawei, who will give you the code to unlock it

Secondly From what I can gather because of the 500 of RAM it seems the phone will run better if it has a bit of a spring clean.

Can anyone guide me through how and what Vodaphone/Huawei bloatware can be removed.

The phone is a lot faster when you take off all the crap, I used Rom Toolbox from the market, the Vodafone stuff is obvious and easy to remove

Lastly Emotion UI - can that only be removed by rooting and if left is it that bad to use

How do you install a launcher and where do you get them

You just download one from the market i.e Apex, Nova etc etc then set it as default and voila

Many thanks in advance and apologies if being a thicko

Mark

Guest echidna

Many thanks

Very helpful

Now to order the phone!!

PS Will Rom Toolbox work on a non rooted phone? If not How to get rid of the bloat?

Edited by echidna

Guest Voxpop2011

Rom toolbox is root only. You can disable quite a lot of the installed stuff without any special permissions or privileges via settings. An aftermarket launcher will give your phone a clean look and you can have new screens populated with the stuff you really need. I currently have one homescreen and second screen for new apps or ones that I temporarily import for a specific task before removing again.

If you hanker after the iPhone look, this can be achieved too.

Guest Andymac1969

Many thanks

Very helpful

Now to order the phone!!

PS Will Rom Toolbox work on a non rooted phone? If not How to get rid of the bloat?

ROM toolbox requires root

Guest Voxpop2011

... would like to use O2 rather than Vodaphone.

Vodafone has reduced the in-store price to £130 with the obligatory £10 top-up for non-customers. So you can order online and wait three for four days for delivery or suck up the additional £10 and rush down to your nearest shop. :D

Guest KenBW2

On a related note, had anyone located the apk for the Discover app? I've located and removed all the other bloatware, but neither me nor Titanium can find its apk

Edited by KenBW2