Cydia Substrate released for Android

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Custom ROMs are one of Android's great strengths, but it's also nice to have the ability to modify a device without compromising the upgradability / stability of a stock ROM. This has become a reality of late with the release of the Xposed framework and now famed iOS developer Saurik, of Cydia fame, has released Cydia Substrate for Android, which offers similar functionality.

Requiring root access (like Xposed), Cydia Substrate allows developers to create 'substrate extensions' that are then loaded into processes that they wish to modify. Developers use a provided API to make changes in memory as required, modifying both Java AND native code to their heart's content. :)

Substrate itself is installed via the Play Store, but as it makes changes to your device, you should definitely back up first. There is a nice 'bypass' mode built in whereby holding the volume-up button on your device will disable Substrate.

Extensive documentation on how to create modules is available at CydiaSubstrate website with clear code examples.

I look forward to seeing how Substrate develops and the cool modules we're sure to see going forward! :)

Finally, if you're interested to learn about the differences between Xposed and Substrate, Saurik has a post discussing the two online.

substratebig.png

Click here to view the item

Guest Simon O

The Play Store reviews are rather amusing as a lot of people think this works in the same way as Cydia on iOS and are giving 1 star reviews because of that. These silly people need to understand that this isn't a Cydia app store but a different app lol

Guest Zarch1972

The Play Store reviews are rather amusing as a lot of people think this works in the same way as Cydia on iOS and are giving 1 star reviews because of that. These silly people need to understand that this isn't a Cydia app store but a different app lol

That new Play Store 'review reply' functionality might come in useful then. :)

• 4 years later...

Is there any good way to enter safe mode? My samsung device won't boot after installing cydia substrate and winterboard, and holding both the volume up and the headset clicker won't fix it.

Ive tried holding the button before and after the screen has turned on, and kept them held for 2 minutes. The phone boots faster than that usually.

Edit: I fixed it by removing my memory card :)
Use caution when trying this on a samsung galaxy Y GT-S5360

Moreover its ow nolonger available on Play store. You have to download it from external app stores like Tutuapp for Android.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.