Orange San Diego vs high end phones

Guest Thedarkphonetech

Guest Thedarkphonetech

Ok so after having this phone for 8 months I must say I am impressed. It can easily compete with high end devices such as the nexus 4 and s3 (CPU and spec sheet). I bought it for £199 and to think for £49 this has to be the bargain of the year. It handles and performs great and hard task seem to be a breeze. This is the best android phone I have used. While comparing with the s3 I was pleased it best it in web browsing and multitasking and app open time. The screen is beautiful and I really want just to congratulate both intel and orange for making a Samsung and apple killer phone....

Guest Rattonboy

Ok so after having this phone for 8 months I must say I am impressed. It can easily compete with high end devices such as the nexus 4 and s3 (CPU and spec sheet). I bought it for £199 and to think for £49 this has to be the bargain of the year. It handles and performs great and hard task seem to be a breeze. This is the best android phone I have used. While comparing with the s3 I was pleased it best it in web browsing and multitasking and app open time. The screen is beautiful and I really want just to congratulate both intel and orange for making a Samsung and apple killer phone....

I was one of those lucky people that got it for £50 (paid fully with Phone fund only paid the £10 top up :D) and it is sooooo smoooth such an amazing device. It competes against most quad core devices out there.

Guest glossywhite

Oops! Faux pas.

I was really enjoying your speech, and agreed with you totally until you said "killer"... it really, really isn't about "killing" anything, which is why all these "iPhone 'killer' " phones seem not to have killed *anything*, ever.

It's still a great comment, just know where to draw the line on being realistic eh?

Edited by glossywhite

Guest BlueMoonRising

Fanboyism(yes it's a real word, I just made it up :P ) =

post-828563-0-83369600-1369556853.gif

Edited for the humour challenged...

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest glossywhite

Some Apple customers may be seen as "sheep", but regardless - Apple are still VERY successful, and all the mockery in the world cannot negate that; it's fact, and for good reasons - they make incredibly high quality hardware VERY simple and efficient to use, and their customer service is unrivaled, and their user experience is simple and consistent - you ALWAYS know what to expect, and there are no nasty surprises.

Yes, iPhone may not have 100 level deep menus where you are able to customise almost down to pixel level, but simplicity and beauty is what makes iOS such a massive winner, and the fact that you can take the device out of the box, insert the SIM and learn most of the basics - as a beginner - in around 1 hour... and if you deny that, you're in the wrong business. It seems the majority of folk who jealously and bitterly complain about Apple with all their fanboy-esque, childish phrases and animated GIFs, are geeks who have little or no real world perspective of what **consumers** want, and are unable to see the world from an "everyday user" perspective - that of a biased geek who wants what suits HIM, not everyone else.

If iOS and iPhone is such a failure, then how come it isn't?

I await the tediously predictable replies.

Guest i am not a hacker

Some Apple customers may be seen as "sheep", but regardless - Apple are still VERY successful, and all the mockery in the world cannot negate that; it's fact, and for good reasons - they make incredibly high quality hardware VERY simple and efficient to use, and their customer service is unrivaled, and their user experience is simple and consistent - you ALWAYS know what to expect, and there are no nasty surprises.

Yes, iPhone may not have 100 level deep menus where you are able to customise almost down to pixel level, but simplicity and beauty is what makes iOS such a massive winner, and the fact that you can take the device out of the box, insert the SIM and learn most of the basics - as a beginner - in around 1 hour... and if you deny that, you're in the wrong business. It seems the majority of folk who jealously and bitterly complain about Apple with all their fanboy-esque, childish phrases and animated GIFs, are geeks who have little or no real world perspective of what **consumers** want, and are unable to see the world from an "everyday user" perspective - that of a biased geek who wants what suits HIM, not everyone else.

If iOS and iPhone is such a failure, then how come it isn't?

I await the tediously predictable replies.

you don't have to disagree with everything that everyone says on here. The problem that some people have with apple is that it is simple and easy to use, nothing special, but the price is the highest as if it is something really special with tons of features.

Guest glossywhite

you don't have to disagree with everything that everyone says on here. The problem that some people have with apple is that it is simple and easy to use, nothing special, but the price is the highest as if it is something really special with tons of features.

Conversely, I also do not have to agree, merely because I happen to be a member of a forum full of Android fans. I love all technology, but Apple make the mobile experience the most pleasant and enjoyable of all - why? Because they understand *human* emotional interaction with objects - something which hasn't quite "clicked" with any other company, to such an incredible degree of detail and enjoyment of use of a device.

If the iPhone were "nothing special", then why did noone else get there first? The point is the very one you refute. If the iPhone were "nothing special", then why do we see designs that imitate its' form and function, throughout hardware *and* software, all over the mobile market?

I disagree with many things people say on this forum, as there is a general propensity for people to speak from a hacker's/geek's viewpoint, which is a VERY narrow box, outside which they often seem unable to see.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest i am not a hacker

People imitate its function because quite often there aren't alternatives. And for form, there aren't many devices which imitate it's form. It's just a simple design so there are going to be similar designs.

People know it to be special because of its high price. It is designer, and being designer doesn't necessarily make it good, it just means that people know it to be better. Designer clothing isn't always better, it's just the high price tag that makes people place it higher up.

Apple understands human interaction and emotion with objects. You couldn't make it sound any better. HTC revolutionises the way use computing. Samsung innovates on a while new level while delivering services specifically designed for humans. I don't think apple understand human interaction better than any other company does. It may be pleasant (like the others), but saying it's the most pleasant is subjective. Simpletons like simple things.

Also, just because you think apple got there first, it doesn't mean they still remain on top. They were the best when the others were nonexistent, but now the other OSs and companies have caught up.

I think you see things from a certain and individual viewpoint unlike a lot of people. This might be because, if I remember correctly, you are autistic (or something similar), or you just like arguing, disputing, disagreeing, patronising, or whatever else you enjoy doing.

Btw, please don't say you forgive me at any point because quite frankly, your forgiveness doesn't mean anything to me. It just makes you sound like you are more superior and have more power and judgement or authority.

Guest glossywhite

People imitate its function because quite often there aren't alternatives. And for form, there aren't many devices which imitate it's form. It's just a simple design so there are going to be similar designs.

People know it to be special because of its high price. It is designer, and being designer doesn't necessarily make it good, it just means that people know it to be better. Designer clothing isn't always better, it's just the high price tag that makes people place it higher up.

Apple understands human interaction and emotion with objects. You couldn't make it sound any better. HTC revolutionises the way use computing. Samsung innovates on a while new level while delivering services specifically designed for humans. I don't think apple understand human interaction better than any other company does. It may be pleasant (like the others), but saying it's the most pleasant is subjective. Simpletons like simple things.

Also, just because you think apple got there first, it doesn't mean they still remain on top. They were the best when the others were nonexistent, but now the other OSs and companies have caught up.

I think you see things from a certain and individual viewpoint unlike a lot of people. This might be because, if I remember correctly, you are autistic (or something similar), or you just like arguing, disputing, disagreeing, patronising, or whatever else you enjoy doing.

Btw, please don't say you forgive me at any point because quite frankly, your forgiveness doesn't mean anything to me. It just makes you sound like you are more superior and have more power and judgement or authority.

Please, do not patronise me; that's not kind, or even necessary, thank you :)

Back to the subject to which I am replying... it seems that you, and others like you, of whom there are MANY in Android world, like everything to be multi-faceted, back to front and "complicated", so that you then feel "clever" to have worked out something so fiddly and convoluted, which didn't need to be that way in the first place, but because it IS, due to bad design concepts - and because you're patting yourself on the back, so to speak, for working it out, you think that a device that makes things simple *by design*... is for idiots, and you feel you have to justify the solution you've found, otherwise your hard-earned venture into finding a solution for something that is stupid and fiddly, will be wasted... and you're seeking a reward. Instead of just being pleased, you feel it necessary to deride ALL iPhone users, owners and designers, by implication or explicitly? You do realise that a "smart" phone is a tool to save you work, right? It's supposed to do the work and fiddle, to allow you to get on with thinking about more important things - that is kind of the whole point of "labour saving devices", see?

You can bang a nail into a wall with a hammer ; you can go and buy a nail gun and achieve the same thing with it, but which is simpler? You can show off about how many gizmos and gadgets either phone has over the other, but ultimately, the design brief - I would think - is to make a device that saves work, not creates it. Must I know how the combustion engine works, to ride a bus? Must I be a programmer to type a word document?

Lol. Have a nice day, and enjoy the next puzzle that Android gives you. Bear in mind - I have no problem with a machine - with Android, I am incredulous at the people who assume they're "smarter" than iPhone users because they think Android OS is a puzzle that makes them clever...

PS: If the Phandroids are *that* clever, why are they not out there with 3D modelling software and CNC routers making cases and fixings, then laying out PCBs, solder masks and designing circuit layouts, setting up pick and place machines, populating and soldering the boards, gluing in the screen seals, designing the touch screens, then writing ALL the code for a phone, then fixing them all together into a phone, and selling it themselves? It doesn't make you clever to use something someone else has toiled and sweated over - any idiot can use a product (sorry, not that you're an idiot - I don't want you intentionally reading that wrong, and getting defensive on me :) )

[EDIT]

PS: This guy has nailed it:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ios-vs-android-truth-about-ui-phandroid-1168129/#post14626202

Have a nice night.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

With due respect, you really don't know what you're talking about, if comparing the San Diego to a premium quality phone such as the iPhone or a high end HTC/Samsung handset. I have just done a thorough "post-mortem" on a dead San Diego - the very same one I gave to a friend, recently - the one I was derided for having swapped for an iPhone 3GS and a ThinkPad... well whaddayaknow? It DIED within a week, and is also falling to bits, physically. The internal plastic is powdery and semi-brittle - I am in the process of uploading 107 *very* high resolution extreme macro shots of the device, taken apart - you'll soon be able to draw your own conclusions based upon physical evidence, not bias.

I have 22 years in the electronics industry, repairing a myriad of consumer and industrial electrical and electronic products, designing circuits and working on production lines assembling product, and the build quality of this product is DIRE.

I'll publish a gallery link in a new thread, once the 600Mb+ of JPEGs are uploaded.

Guest karthiknr
With due respect, you really don't know what you're talking about, if comparing the San Diego to a premium quality phone such as the iPhone or a high end HTC/Samsung handset. I have just done a thorough "post-mortem" on a dead San Diego - the very same one I gave to a friend, recently - the one I was derided for having swapped for an iPhone 3GS and a ThinkPad... well whaddayaknow? It DIED within a week, and is also falling to bits, physically. The internal plastic is powdery and semi-brittle - I am in the process of uploading 107 *very* high resolution extreme macro shots of the device, taken apart - you'll soon be able to draw your own conclusions based upon physical evidence, not bias.

I have 22 years in the electronics industry, repairing a myriad of consumer and industrial electrical and electronic products, designing circuits and working on production lines assembling product, and the build quality of this product is DIRE.

I'll publish a gallery link in a new thread, once the 600Mb+ of JPEGs are uploaded.

I do agree that the build quality of the OSD cannot be compared to that of an iPhone, but then, when you look at phones like the HTC One and the Xperia Z, you have to admit that the iPhone's build quality is far inferior to that of theirs. In fact, a lot of people who've reviewed the HTC One have said that it has the best hardware and build quality. Take a look at this. http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/26/4366104/size-matters-how-i-went-from-an-iphone-to-a-really-big-android-phone Now if that phone were to be an Xperia Z, then it wouldn't be dead like the iPhone. I'm not going to argue on whether the iPhone is the best device out there or if an android device is the best device out there, because I think they cannot be compared fully. Each has its own pros and cons. It's finally upto the user to decide what he wants.

Edited by karthiknr

Guest glossywhite

I do agree that the build quality of the OSD cannot be compared to that of an iPhone, but then, when you look at phones like the HTC One and the Xperia Z, you have to admit that the iPhone's build quality is far inferior to that of theirs. In fact, a lot of people who've reviewed the HTC One have said that it has the best hardware and build quality. Take a look at this. http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/26/4366104/size-matters-how-i-went-from-an-iphone-to-a-really-big-android-phone Now if that phone were to be an Xperia Z, then it wouldn't be dead like the iPhone. I'm not going to argue on whether the iPhone is the best device out there or if an android device is the best device out there, because I think they cannot be compared fully. Each has its own pros and cons. It's finally upto the user to decide what he wants.

If you want junk dressed up as "premium", buy a San Diego. I'm just relieved I didn't get sucked into being an early adopter, and shelling out £200!

Look, here is my "post-mortem" of a two MONTH old San Diego:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22008695@N03/sets/72157633752379405/

Guest BlueMoonRising

If you want junk dressed up as "premium", buy a San Diego. I'm just relieved I didn't get sucked into being an early adopter, and shelling out £200!

Since you don't actually own one(and ended up never actually paying for one either) perhaps you could do us all a favour and go away if it's so bad?

I don't suppose it's occurred to you that the people on here HAVE paid good money(regardless of the amount) for this phone and don't need someone feeling all smug and superior that they didn't waste their money on a "piece of junk".

If you continue in this vein I will consider you to be trolling and will report you once again. Next time perhaps they'll go farther than asking you to write an apology, I wouldn't want to see you banned.

Please feel free to not reply.

Guest DaveSimonH

Have to say I resent having the phone I paid £110 for being referred to as junk. But you are intitled to you opinion, however inflammatory it is. My OSD has some cosmetic hairline cracks, but that has been the end of my problems over the last 5 months. Performance wise the phone shines, and for me that is more important.

Even at full £200 price point the OSD is still a budget phone in comparison to the iphone, which to buy without contract is around £300-£700 (Orange store, iphone 4S 8GB to iphone 5 64GB).

The iphone is great, if you are willing to spend that kind of money and like the OS. For everyone else that has chosen the OSD and the Android platform (the majority of the market now) they are happy enough.

Guest karthiknr

Since you don't actually own one(and ended up never actually paying for one either) perhaps you could do us all a favour and go away if it's so bad?

I don't suppose it's occurred to you that the people on here HAVE paid good money(regardless of the amount) for this phone and don't need someone feeling all smug and superior that they didn't waste their money on a "piece of junk".

If you continue in this vein I will consider you to be trolling and will report you once again. Next time perhaps they'll go farther than asking you to write an apology, I wouldn't want to see you banned.

Please feel free to not reply.

+1