• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GPS On When Sleeping

15 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi, I just looked at the battery stats and I was shocked to see that GPS is in constant use when my phone is in sleep mode. Also, when I wake the phone up I can see the GPS icon, and then it disappears. Its crippling my battery life, and I have realised that this has been going on for weeks, as I remember seeing it last month! :P I do turn off the GPS, but I find that it turns on again. (Strange or what?). So is there a free app that tells me what is using my GPS? I have tried to search the play store, but I can only find paid ones. Thanks :)

Posted · Report post

Install Spare Parts. Open it and click on "Battery History". Select the drop down list at the top and from it choose "GPS Usage". It will show you what apps have been using the GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidgram.spareparts
Note that you'll need to have your device unplugged at the time as it's actually looking for battery usage as used by apps accessing GPS.
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/8900/whats-using-my-gps[/code]

Found that there... Give it whril...

Posted · Report post

from location access (in settings) turn all these "off" when you'r not using GPS

post-913969-0-28925200-1369600017_thumb.

Posted · Report post

from location access (in settings) turn all these "off" when you'r not using GPS

post-913969-0-28925200-1369600017_thumb.

Thanks for the suggestion :) but it would be very impractical as I use Google Now all the time. Also I have weather notifications too that need to know where I am too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Install Spare Parts. Open it and click on "Battery History". Select the drop down list at the top and from it choose "GPS Usage". It will show you what apps have been using the GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidgram.spareparts
Note that you'll need to have your device unplugged at the time as it's actually looking for battery usage as used by apps accessing GPS.
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/8900/whats-using-my-gps[/code]

Found that there... Give it whril...

Thanks for this :) but I don't have the GPS option. Also, I use Sygic and sports tracker apps a lot, so its hard to tell if the GPS is used by endomondo or the bad app, when the phone is asleep in battery stats.
Edited by george109

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the suggestion :) but it would be very impractical as I use Google Now all the time. Also I have weather notifications too that need to know where I am too.

Then you're gonna have to do what I do: go to the icons bar and manually turn off GPS each time you're done with it. Next time you use an app that needs it, if you've already given the app permission to turn it on, no prob, otherwise it will ask. And you may have to wait while it gets a fix. Yeah, more hassle. You have the choice: do more work to keep on top of battery consumpotion; or be lazy, buy a bigger battery ;)

Posted · Report post

Fixed it. I used droid guardian to find all the apps with the GPS permission and I have disabled Paypal and nectar and now the constant GPS usage has stopped! :D

Posted · Report post

Fixed it. I used droid guardian to find all the apps with the GPS permission and I have disabled Paypal and nectar and now the constant GPS usage has stopped! :D

That is really wierd why would Paypal and Nectar need to have the GPS on all the time... :blink:

Posted · Report post

That is really wierd why would Paypal and Nectar need to have the GPS on all the time... :blink:

I know, I also disabled Hangouts too. It's probably some cheeky tracking scheme for targeted advertising...

Posted · Report post

I know, I also disabled Hangouts too. It's probably some cheeky tracking scheme for targeted advertising...

It is really quite worrying in the sense of sercuity and privacy. What are they doing with all the information...

Posted (edited) · Report post

It is really quite worrying in the sense of sercuity and privacy. What are they doing with all the information...

If you thinks thats bad, look at this: http://www.dailymail...tching-ads.html !

Edited by george109

Posted · Report post

If you thinks thats bad, look at this: http://www.dailymail...tching-ads.html !

Yeah i heard a bit about that. Basically being able to monitor via webcam sorta thing and also via microphone. We are living in a world which is going to pot.

Posted · Report post

Hangouts is Google's videochat app. That'll give you conniptions on battery life :o

Posted · Report post

Guess what, the problem has come back :(

Time to disable every single GPS app...

Posted · Report post

Time to disable every single GPS app...

I coughed up the couple of bucks for AutoStarts, but I think there's something free that does similar,

to stop apps that autostart at boot time. I killed all those Chinese apps that autostarted, don't want

to uninstall because I use some of them at time. All that's (showing as) running on my G300 now is

System UI, Security Guard, Google Pinyin, Wiper App, com.android.smspush. Dunno what those

last two are, they look sort of Android needed...

With root access and a steady hand you could probably edit an xml file somewhere in the works...