58 mb update

Guest xgt001

Guest xgt001

Hi guys I noticed a 58 mb update today. As I am rooted I can't install it. Could anyone please check it out and see if there are any improvements or changes?

Guest utternoob

I have a 35mb one on Xolo, downloading now. Feedback soon

Movies and books are installed, keyboard seems better and so does dictionary. Baseband and kernel have changed too

Edited by utternoob

Guest gwebb

I have a 35mb one on Xolo, downloading now. Feedback soon

Movies and books are installed, keyboard seems better and so does dictionary. Baseband and kernel have changed too

Yes if fixes the dictionary issue, which was throwing errors even for simple words, I needed to use a 4.2 keyboard port (which I may stick with as I like the stock swiping more than Swype or Swiftkey).

GPS Status took 12s for a lock, but one reading doesn't tell you much. Mind you by comparison my Nexus S took 4 seconds, and God knows when I last used the GPS on that. :)

Edited by gwebb

Guest gwebb

FWIW the build date for the latest update is 28th May. So some development is likely still going on even if it's not the 4.1 that we want, and that Intel demoed last year.

Guest pinkllama

hi all,

i was on stock orange until i read this post.

i've just installed the unrooted xolo rom from this post http://www.modaco.com/topic/358230-guide-applying-ics-xolo-update-from-orange-rom-directly-for-noobs/

just checked OTA update but its saying my phone is up to date.

is there any way to prompt the phone to download this update? or can anyone upload it?

cheers

Guest xgt001

Btw if I installed this update after rooting will my phone work properly? I haven't deodexed or anything. Just rooted it and deleted social gallery. Any tips/advice?

Heating issues Gps lock network signal loss issues seems to be fixed after the three updates post the original ICS

I am ready to give up root :-D just afraid if the phone bricks after installing over root

Edited by xgt001

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest azerty52117

Please, use "OTA Snatcher" from google play store and give me a link to download this update (mobile update crash...)

Edited by azerty52117

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaraelDraconis

Hypothesis:

Regaining root after installing this (58mb) patch should be possible, but would require some savvy and a certain amount of preparation.

Suggested method:  Before installing the update, copy su somewhere useful but unlikely to be erased by the patch.  Ensure it retains its ownership and the necessary permissions to be useful.  Update.  Use adb, or any other means of your choice, to become root by way of the copy of su.  Remount /system read-write using newfound root powers.  Read the root_me script and repeat the necessary parts.

I'll test this at some point.  Possibly tonight, but probably not, so if anyone feels the urge to pre-empt me, go right ahead.  We know it's possible to "update" back to stock ICS, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue if it doesn't work.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Hypothesis:

Regaining root after installing this (58mb) patch should be possible, but would require some savvy and a certain amount of preparation.

Suggested method:  Before installing the update, copy su somewhere useful but unlikely to be erased by the patch.  Ensure it retains its ownership and the necessary permissions to be useful.  Update.  Use adb, or any other means of your choice, to become root by way of the copy of su.  Remount /system read-write using newfound root powers.  Read the root_me script and repeat the necessary parts.

I'll test this at some point.  Possibly tonight, but probably not, so if anyone feels the urge to pre-empt me, go right ahead.  We know it's possible to "update" back to stock ICS, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue if it doesn't work.

I have to say you're a braver man than me ;)

I didn't think it was possible to go back to a stock 4.0.1 from the 58MB patch? Does the patch not block the exploit used to gain root?

Well (and yes, it's me; turned out I had an older account and that was why I couldn't use my preferred name. It's slightly complicated. Just ignore it), it's certainly possible to go from the orange-branded ROM with the 58MB patch to the stock Xolo ROM, and thereby regain the possibility of rooting the phone, just by "updating" from "external" storage (id est, update.zip). I'm assuming this holds true for the equivalent patch on the Xolo ROM. I'm about to try what I described in my last post (just waiting for an adb backup to complete), so I'll let you know the results.

Alas, no joy. My copy (which I made in /system/wbin, wbin being an empty folder I'd created for the job) was changed to root.root, 0644 - and the original in /system/xbin, while it retained its global execute permissions, was stripped of its SUID bit. Still, it seemed worth a try. Maybe dumping a copy in /config instead of /system would work. That seems to be the only other persistent storage not mounted nosuid, so I guess it's worth trying another cycle. I'll be back.

Oh, hells yes.

I have just regained root after applying the 58mb patch.

I should note that I do *not* have insecure adbd working fully; checking the first box fails, saying it can't patch adbd. The second works fine, and it is automatically granted superuser permissions on launch.

So eu.chainfire.adbd might need an update, but I have a functioning /system/xbin/su and Superuser and I am very happy with this.

Method follows:

• "Update" from USB (id est, not OTA; use the 299MB update.zip.  You know the one by now.) to stock ICS.
  • Root with the usual AIO tool.  Follow the instructions, and wait for the various reboots.
  • adb shell:
    su
    mount | grep /config
    #check what device is /config.  For me it was /dev/mmcblk0p5, and that's what I'll use here, but I don't want to risk it being different for anyone else
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p5 /config #change device if appropriate
    mkdir /config/reroot
    cp /system/xbin/su /config/reroot/
    exit
    exit

And then install the 58MB patch

• adb shell:

/config/reroot/su
    #The following lines stolen shamelessly from root_me.sh (with "./adb shell" stripped, since we're already in an adb shell to work around lack of insecure adbd)
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system
    chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 655 /system/app/Superuser.apk #I confess I didn't check if this and the next line were necessary, but they do no harm, so...
    chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
    #OPTIONALLY: remount /config read-write and remove the backup copy of su.  There's plenty of space in there, though, so it's hardly critical.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I'm not a dev so some of what you are saying was a little bit 'whoosh' over my head but do you now have a fully patched Xolo rom WITH root? If so well done  :) . Have you or can you enable the SD slot?

Basically, yes.  I think so.  Certainly I have a patched Xolo ICS with the capacity to do things as root; whether or not it yet works in the way we'd expect of a rooted phone I have yet to determine.

When you flash the 299 MB update.zip,won't the screen start flashing colours?

Yes, but a) adb still works if USB debugging was enabled beforehand, and b) I used the HDMI output (which still works mostly when that happens) to see what I was doing.  Once I installed the 58MB patch, the screen worked normally again (as expected).

(when I say the HDMI output works mostly, I mean the usual issue of the device thinking it's rotated by 90 degrees (but with the touchscreen acting as though it were displaying normally).  Takes a bit of getting used to, and it helps to enable showing touch positions and/or events beforehand, so they act as a guide on the external screen, but it works.)