58 mb update

Guest xgt001

Guest karthiknr

Yes, but a) adb still works if USB debugging was enabled beforehand, and B) I used the HDMI output (which still works mostly when that happens) to see what I was doing.  Once I installed the 58MB patch, the screen worked normally again (as expected).

(when I say the HDMI output works mostly, I mean the usual issue of the device thinking it's rotated by 90 degrees (but with the touchscreen acting as though it were displaying normally).  Takes a bit of getting used to, and it helps to enable showing touch positions and/or events beforehand, so they act as a guide on the external screen, but it works.)

I managed to do it using HDMI but i enabled the Show Touches option in the Developer Settings menu which helped a lot.

It works but it doesn't seem to give any root access to applications. It's like it's there but it doesn't do anything.

Great work though! :)

Guest karthiknr

Also,the 58MB update obviously has something to do with the video of the device,so can we intercept the download into a file and check if we can add the graphics files using root later to get the display to work?

I managed to do it using HDMI but i enabled the Show Touches option in the Developer Settings menu which helped a lot.

It works but it doesn't seem to give any root access to applications. It's like it's there but it doesn't do anything.

Great work though! :)

Yeah, I encountered that.  That's most of the reason I posted that it was possible to get a working su, actually: I figured someone here would probably be able to work out how to get from there to appspace root.

Also,the 58MB update obviously has something to do with the video of the device,so can we intercept the download into a file and check if we can add the graphics files using root later to get the display to work?

I haven't a clue.  Is there a known way of intercepting an OTA update?  I'm willing to use such a thing and host the result myself.  Answers on a postcard.

EDIT: a wee bit of googling suggests that I should be able to find it somewhere in /cache... which makes sense.  I'll have a poke around, but the request for automatic tools stands, because I like it when things make my life easier :-P

I got root access to work properly by copying the su and busybox to /system/bin/ instead of /system/xbin/

Oh, sweet.  Good going.  Thanks for letting us know!

Edited by Darael

Having tried to enable the external SD card slot, I have found the following:  Enabling it works fine.  Enabling mass storage seems to work fine.

Stage 3, however (enabling both at once) bootloops the phone after the update is applied.  Trying to do it after applying the update and regaining root just bootloops it at next boot.  I think we'll need an updated framework-res.apk to fix that, though I'm not completely sure.

I have yet to try swapping the SD card and internal storage, but mMy experiments confirm for anyone interested that SDXC cards are supported (Before updating I was able to use a 64G MicroSDXC card).  That last bit should probably go in a more relevant thread, come to think of it.

Update: swapping the card with the internal storage works just fine.

Edited by Darael