Vowney / Verne V5

Guest bryfly

Guest blaster99999

I have no GPS using CoPilot or Google Maps (or any GPS testing software.

The only way I can even see a satellite, let alone get a lock, is to enable the GPS in mobile Uncle MTK engineer tools

have you completed the GPS guide and get a lock

Guest nsmacd1

have you completed the GPS guide and get a lock

Yes - Did all that - Didn't get any satellites at all (after 15 mins of being outside)

Did it again after using mobile Uncle & got satellites showing almost immediately.

Have also tried to use Tillaz's gps.config files & didn't make a difference, and have tried different ROMs

Each time I need to use a GPS app, then it's Mobile Uncle to activate GPS and then come out of it and then other apps work (Nothing happens if I use the GPS options in settings)

Currently back on stock ROM (Rooted with GAPPS) with no other mods installed

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest blaster99999

the gps guide I followed

1. Go to Settings > Google > Location Settings and make sure ‘Let Google apps access your location’ is ON.
  2. In this same area you will see a box at the bottom of the dialog that says ‘Location Access’ tap it. (alternatively, access this area by going to Settings > Location access. Make sure ‘Access to my location’, ‘GPS satellites’ and ‘Wi-fi & mobile network location’ are all checked / toggled on.
  3. In Settings > Location access, tap the words ‘GPS satellites’. Enable ‘GPS EPO assistance’. Make sure you have internet on, go into ‘EPO settings’ and download EPO data.
  4. This is just my personal opinion, but if you don’t have an always on data-connection, don’t turn on A-GPS to test your GPS. That’s just my opinion though. Many people enable it and if you’ve got an always on data connection (2G/3G), it should be turned on – though if you’re on a very limited plan, you might want to turn it off after you’re done using GPS. If you want to enable it, tick it ON.
  5. If you’re rooted, download ‘Faster GPS’ and set your location. This is good for helping with a quick first lock, however after the first lock, the program basically becomes useless unless you change countries.
  6. Download ‘GPS Test’ from Play. In GPS Test settings, make sure screen always on is checked.
  7. Go outside for up to 15 minutes and watch the pretty little bars go up and down until you get a lock, or put your phone outside. Subsequent locks should be quicker. Especially if you do it within a short time after the cold lock.

Guest nsmacd1

No satellite fix at all using the guide (see screenshots below) after 15 mins in the open air

But turning the GPS on using Mobile Uncle I can see 12 satellites almost immediately, and can lock on to 5 within about 15 seconds (indoors!)

Anyone know what the difference is between turning on the GPS via the app as opposed to turning it via settings or by toolbar?

post-988057-0-55109100-1372888435_thumb.

post-988057-0-17398400-1372888441_thumb.

post-988057-0-73701200-1372888445_thumb.

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest blaster99999

No satellite fix at all using the guide (see screenshots below) after 15 mins in the open air

But turning the GPS on using Mobile Uncle I can see 12 satellites almost immediately, and can lock on to 5 within about 15 seconds (indoors!)

Anyone know what the difference is between turning on the GPS via the app as opposed to turning it via settings or by toolbar?

did you use faster gps and setup your local area and choose region and let it replace your gps.conf , also in gps test did you go into setting and tick keep screen on , and did you then leave the phone out side for 15 minutes

Guest nsmacd1

Used fasterGPS and selected Europe / United Kingdom - The app said that it had written/replaced the gps.config.

I ticked 'Keep screen on' in the options and went outside for about 15-20 mins in the open air with no hills/buildings etc in the way.

Never mind - I can use the M-U app to get it working, it's just a pain in the backside to have to do that every time!

Hopefully there'll be a ROM update sometime in the near future which addresses this problem!

Guest blaster99999

I used co pilot again this morning got a lock in 20 seconds , do agree does wonder a bit at low speed now and again, and cos I'm in Sheffield today mobile net is on h and sometimes h+ and working spot on to, so looks like if you own a vowney v5 and you want good mobile internet speed then you need to move the Sheffield , easy fix.

Guest nsmacd1

Just spent best part of an hour trying to get the (Vodafone) internet to work. For anyone else who has problems connecting, here are the setting that actually worked for me: (and I tried quite a few!!!)

Adding the settings to the handset

Now we need to create a new data connection. To do this, press the Menu key and select New APN. You are now presented with a range of fields in which you can fill in the details for your mobile network data connection. Complete the fields in the list with the data below:

Name – Vodafone Internet

APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)

Proxy & PortPlease leave blank

Username – web

Password - web

Server - Please leave blank

MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS PROXY - 212.183.137.012

MMS Port - 8799

MCC - 234

MNC - 15

Authentication type - None

APN type - Internet & MMS (If no selection available , leave blank )

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest kieranswhite

Now got a Mcro-SIM, but still can't use mobile data to connect to anything - Can anyone help?

The SIM is in the slot in the middle of the phone (next to the SD card).

I have text web to 40127 Vodafone number, but haven't received any settings.

I have tried Tweakker from the app store, but didn't make any difference.

I have network mode set to GSM/WCDMA (auto mode)

I have 2 network bars at the top of my screen - One is full, and orange, the other is grey and looks full too

Text messaging & calls work OK

have you tride checking the APN settings ? http://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=us&ARTICLE_ID=355304&DISPLAY=DEVICE&PARENT_TOPIC_ID=61684&TOPIC_ID=61500&HANDLERMODE=NOJSPAGE

Guest kieranswhite

Sorry, the source code is not allowed to open, not only because we signed a confidentiality agreement and MTK, ourselves and our co-manufacturers are the underlying driver code in front of the confidentiality agreement, did not get authorization, we are not allowed to open the source code the! Specific development work, if you have a need, we can help achieve!

Currently we have cooperation projects, to help our customers achieve the second software development!

------------------ Original ------------------

Date: Fri, Jul 5, 2013 05:09 AM

To: "无齿的狼"<[email protected]>;

Subject: Kernel Source

Would it be possible to obtain the kernel source code for the verne v5 so that we can continue to develop for the device !!

Thankyou

Guest tillaz

ha, mediatek are a bunch of pricks.... if vowney want to help ask them to build aokp, or something similar, since they cant give what is needed :ph34r:

Guest kieranswhite

ha, mediatek are a bunch of pricks.... if vowney want to help ask them to build aokp, or something similar, since they cant give what is needed :ph34r:

Yeah i actually just asked them :P maybe if some more people ask them we might actually get what we want :)

This email [email protected]

i asked them to build AOKP

Guest d_b_s

Can anyone confirm whether the compass is working on the Verne V5? I got mine yesterday and i don't seem to be able to get any response in the following applications: Smart Compass, Sky Map, Sky Safari.

Guest ChrisPNE
Can anyone confirm whether the compass is working on the Verne V5? I got mine yesterday and i don't seem to be able to get any response in the following applications: Smart Compass, Sky Map, Sky Safari.

In GPS Status my compass seems to be a reflection of what it should be.

Guest Sere83

Is there any way to fix the stuck on g data when 3g is available, what could be the cause of this problem

Wish I knew, pisses me off no end! Thing I don't get is how can me and you have this issue and no one else? Is it a hardware or a software fault?

Edited by Sere83

Guest bryfly

Get compass reaction but it appears to be about 180 degrees out, my back room faces north but the compass tells me it is south.........

Guest kieranswhite

Off topic but my brother is looking for a cheap quad core tablet. Any recommendations before I look on merimobiles ?

Guest Dan Mullen

Off topic but my brother is looking for a cheap quad core tablet. Any recommendations before I look on merimobiles ?

I was looking for one yesterday on there and found the Cube U30GT II - looks a really good spec for a 10" tablet, about £160. I've just ordered the Vowney V5 from them and will probably order that tablet next month.

Guest sandriderman

I have tried most of the GPS suggestions and I find that if I use GPS test until I get a lock and then launch google maps or navigation the GPS works well.

But I have tried an app called GPS Monitor (free from the market), I have not changed any settings at all and this is better for me as it just auto launches when ever the GPS is triggered by what ever app is using it and I get a lock in 30 seconds or quicker. I have turned my phone off and on a few times and it keeps getting a quick lock. The app puts a status symbol in the notification bar so you can see how many satellites you are connected to.

If this solves the GPS issue (which it appears to have) then I can find no more bugs with the phone for me. I got the pre rooted version.

I cut my sim card to micro size last night and its working well (three network in Doncaster).

Hope GPS Monitor helps someone.

Edited by sandriderman

Guest blaster99999

I have tried most of the GPS suggestions and I find that if I use GPS test until I get a lock and then launch google maps or navigation the GPS works well.

But I have tried an app called GPS Monitor (free from the market), I have not changed any settings at all and this is better for me as it just auto launches when ever the GPS is triggered by what ever app is using it and I get a lock in 30 seconds or quicker. I have turned my phone off and on a few times and it keeps getting a quick lock. The app puts a status symbol in the notification bar so you can see how many satellites you are connected to.

If this solves the GPS issue (which it appears to have) then I can find no more bugs with the phone for me. I got the pre rooted version.

I cut my sim card to micro size last night and its working well (three network in Doncaster).

Hope GPS Monitor helps someone.

I'm on vodafone and in rotherham my vowney sticks on g a lot , but in sheffield I'm almost always showing h strange, my other phone I use for tethering in rotherham same location shows 3g or h , where vowney is on g , but if I go into settings and choose wcdma only then the vowney picks up 3g or h , which rom you using

Guest sandriderman

I'm on vodafone and in rotherham my vowney sticks on g a lot , but in sheffield I'm almost always showing h strange, my other phone I use for tethering in rotherham same location shows 3g or h , where vowney is on g , but if I go into settings and choose wcdma only then the vowney picks up 3g or h , which rom you using

I have not done any rom flashing at all, I paid for it to be pre rooted and I assume they flashed a rom on it to make it English and add the Play Store, the below might help: (don't know how to resize)

Screenshot_2013-07-05-18-51-03.png

Edited by sandriderman