HTC One and Galaxy S4 Google Play editions available in the US

Guest Zarch1972

Guest Zarch1972

Both the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 are available direct from Google in the US as 'Google Play editions' bringing an out of the box stock Android 4.2.2 experience to both flagship phones.

The HTC One is $599 and the S4 is $649. Both are 'Shipping Soon' (6th July we understand) with free delivery.

Sadly for us in the UK, there appears no way of getting one of these right now unless your cousin Zack over in the states can help out? ;) Whether they'll hit our shores is anyones guess.

Probably the only thing that could come across quickly will be the ROM images so we can all try the Play Edition on our existing Ones and S4s.

What you gain in stock, you lose in Sense and Touchwiz. Could you give up those 'nice' features of Sense and Touchwiz (there are a few right?) for stock/basic?

[Via Google Play Store (US)]

thumb_26-Jun-2013_GooglePlayEditions.png

thumb_26-Jun-2013_HTC One - Google.jpg

thumb_26-Jun-2013_s4-google.jpg

Click here to view the item

Guest paholman

I wonder if the HTC One from the play store is "flawless" in build quality department. I bet returning it would be a nightmare, if not. :)

Guest paholman

I read HTC would be releasing the stock ROM for unlocked bootloaders.

It would be good if Sense/Touchwiz could be an optional "launcher" add-on for those that want it. At least then we wouldn't have to wait for HTC/Samsung to release the Android updates

Guest Wayne877

If you go to the trouble of unlocking the bootloader and rooting an original HTC one or S4 and then flash the official ROM, would you get ROM updates OTA like I would with my Nexus 4?

Guest paholman

I assume for the HTC One that Zoe (plus other camera features), Beats Audio and the IR blaster would not work on stock ROM without some additional software?

Guest ezablade

If I had the cash, I'd definitely be interested. This is how all phones should be, stock Android, with all other "enhancements" being apps you either choose to install, or, uninstall if they come pre-loaded. Any updates to Android then come through straight away, and no delays caused by manufacturers wanting to mess things up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.