Yellow tint on Y300 display?

Guest jackosterman

Guest jackosterman

So I've just picked up my fancy new Ascend Y300-100 and can't help but notice that the display has a (slightly washed out?) yellow tint. Kind of like the walls of my first apartment. This is particularly jarring when placed side-by-side with my previous device, which sports its own cooler blue tint, and it's driving me crazy. A couple nights of Googling hasn't surfaced anything too relevant regarding the Y300 specifically, though the warmer yellow seems to plague a few other devices-- some say it's a manufacturing error, some claim it's deliberate/superior. Bah humbug to that!

I've noticed a couple users here have mentioned a yellow hue offhandedly. Is this a universal "issue" among all Y300-100s? I'm considering bringing the phone back to the store if I can confirm that a blue-tinted display exists.

I'm also currently waiting for my bootloader unlock code -- should that day arrive, has anyone found that flashing a new rom/firmware update/kernel can rectify this? My phone came with B174, if it matters.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Oh right, Huawei's online FAQ for the Y300 includes this little diddy:

Why does my screen look a little yellow?

On the home screen, touch Settings à Display à Color temperature to adjust the color temperature.

The problem here is that I don't seem to have a "Color temperature" option in my Display settings. Anyone have it in theirs?

Edited by jackosterman

Guest Voxpop2011

Jack, take it back whilst there is still time to get a full refund. If this turns into a manifest problem and a fix is available, you can always buy the phone again.

Guest Pierreism

The yellow tint on the Y300 was the first thing I noticed when I got it too. I just assumed it was the best it gave at this price point. I haven't seen any other Y300 that looks noticeably better, but I have seen some pics/vids of some with an unflattering blue cast, and personally I think warmer is better. If it bothers you it's hardly a reason to return it though, just download a colour calibration app from the market! That's what I did.

The best ones are Paid apps I think, but I've tried out a couple of free ones that can calibrate the screen how you want it just fine. One's called "Screen Adjuster", but that doesn't save the setting on reboot. The one I use that's better, if slightly more confusing, is "Filter Your Screen". That saves on reboot, but you might have to deal with some quirks. To get that to work you have to select Add Filter, pump up the Blue value to 255, then gradually increase the Alpha value depending on how much cooler you want the temperature to be. I've found that an Alpha of about 18 gives me the best whites. The difference is noticeable.

Hope that helps.

Edit: My bad, Screen Adjuster does save on reboot. You can use that too.

Edited by Pierreism

Guest jackosterman

Thanks guys, it's good to know others have been seeing the same things. Anyway, I don't know if the timing was coincidental, but a factory reset seems to have largely soothed the issue. While the colors certainly run warmer than my other, more blue device, they're fairly vibrant nonetheless.

It appears this is related to the Y300-100 hardware revision C002 so look for revs 0 & 1

Hm, I'm intrigued.. Where did you hear about this?

Guest ZolaIII
Hm, I'm intrigued.. Where did you hear about this?

It's a new issue that didn't happened before so I assumed so.

On the other hand the gamma settings are inbuilt in kernel so they cannot be altered ...