Compass not working at all

Guest elsita

Guest elsita

I open this thread to help us all what is the state of this big problem with our mobile, as far as I know every rom has the compass not functioning, this makes navigation through gps impossible, and may cause problems also fixing satelites.

I would like to know if anybody has the compass working fine, and in that case wich is the rom you are using so we all can learn from each other.

I have the last rom updated via OTA from vowney.

Guest SutiAdi

Is there anyone with a working compass? I installed Tiny Compass (and several other apps) but it showed North no matter which direction I was standing

Guest Rico_89

Yes working compass on one of the V5's I have purchased but on the other one, that I have updated, it doesn't seem to be working.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest elsita
Yes working compass on one of the V5's I have purchased but on the other one, that I have updated, it doesn't seem to be working.

could you please post a screen shot of your software version info? I could try that version as compass is extremely important to me

Guest bryfly

just received a V5 from pandawill for my son today, only updated with the vowney ota. no movement on compass at all, says "magnetic sensor error", or sensor not present or faulty", great send it back or not??, wonder if it needs to have networklocation apk installed to work?

first V5, compass works but it thinks north is east.

Guest Rico_89

could you please post a screen shot of your software version info? I could try that version as compass is extremely important to me

http://www.modaco.com/topic/363528-gps-lock-issue-try-this/page__st__40#entry2141572

just received a V5 from pandawill for my son today, only updated with the vowney ota. no movement on compass at all, says "magnetic sensor error", or sensor not present or faulty", great send it back or not??, wonder if it needs to have networklocation apk installed to work?

Mine says the same thing but I don't think there's anything wrong with the sensor, just the update. My brother has a working compass and his build version is V1.10..

Guest elsita

all compasses as far as I know are malfunctioning, except the one previously reported, if you want a working compass you have to buy another phone, vowney is not capable of solving the issue, at least until now...

Guest bryfly

all compasses as far as I know are malfunctioning, except the one previously reported, if you want a working compass you have to buy another phone, vowney is not capable of solving the issue, at least until now...

strange, as the older phone where the compass point moves (albeit wrongly) has the latest ROM from Vowney, the new V5 where I get the error also has the same ROM, as well as the error showing, the needle is fixed stationary. is yours like that with a pointer that does not move.

Guest Rico_89

what date was that build released? can you find out?

Not sure if I can.. :(

Anyone running Tillaz's custom rom, and if so is the compass working?

Edited by Rico_89

Guest bryfly

http://www.modaco.com/topic/363528-gps-lock-issue-try-this/page__st__40#entry2141572

Mine says the same thing but I don't think there's anything wrong with the sensor, just the update. My brother has a working compass and his build version is V1.10..

strange, as the older phone where the compass point moves (albeit wrongly) has the latest ROM from Vowney, the new V5 where I get the error also has the same ROM, as well as the error showing, the needle is fixed stationary. is yours like that with a pointer that does not move.

his build Number you say is V1.10.. mine is ALPS.JB2.MP.V1.3.. SO DO YOU MEAN HIS IS v1.1

Guest elsita

Not sure if I can.. :(

Anyone running Tillaz's custom rom, and if so is the compass working?

I have just asked this question in tillaz's rom thread ...

Guest elsita

his build Number you say is V1.10.. mine is ALPS.JB2.MP.V1.3.. SO DO YOU MEAN HIS IS v1.1

v 1.1 must be the rom, now we need a link to download and test it ... anybody can provide a working link?

Guest Rico_89

Here's a pic with his build number.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5555/6ckl.jpg

I have just asked this question in tillaz's rom thread ...

Ah great I was going to do the same.

Guest bryfly

Mine says the same thing but I don't think there's anything wrong with the sensor, just the update.

Rico, when you say your compass gives the same error as mine (MAGNETIC SESOR ERROR, no magnetic sensor or it is out of order),is the compass needle solid as a rock and does not move, even if you turn the phone?

Guest Rico_89

Rico, when you say your compass gives the same error as mine (MAGNETIC SESOR ERROR, no magnetic sensor or it is out of order),is the compass needle solid as a rock and does not move, even if you turn the phone?

Yes correct, never moves: here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Left: working V5 compass, Middle: working G300 compass, Right crapped out V5 compass.

1gma.jpg

I downloaded an app called "Android Hardware Info", and listed in the "Magnetic Field Sensor" list it says "Vendor Bosch" and lists the specs .. exactly the same as my brothers phone.

Guest bryfly

Left: working V5 compass, Middle: working G300 compass, Right crapped out V5 compass.

1gma.jpg

I downloaded an app called "Android Hardware Info", and listed in the "Magnetic Field Sensor" list it says "Vendor Bosch" and lists the specs .. exactly the same as my brothers phone.

Yep, my broken compass points exactly the same as yours "identical twin", guess there is no point in returning to pandawill as the next one is likely to be exactly the same??

Guest elsita

1gma.jpg

thank you so much for the pictures, I thought there was no working v5 compass, the problem is that if the working one has the same software as the others (mine for instance) then it must be a hardware problem and your brother has got the exceptional working one... good for him and terrible for the rest of us

the phones arriving today at Spain have the same problem, so asking for a replacement today would be useless

Edited by elsita

Guest Rico_89

thank you so much for the pictures, I thought there was no working v5 compass, the problem is that if the working one has the same software as the others (mine for instance) then it must be a hardware problem and your brother has got the exceptional working one... good for him and terrible for the rest of us

the phones arriving today at Spain have the same problem, so asking for a replacement today would be useless

No problem.. I have to say that because so many are having this issue it might be as you say a hardware fault.. I was reading about possible solutions that have worked for others, where they have pulled the micro sd card and moved a not so powerful magnet closer and closer to their device to unstick the sensor.. but it sounds a bit risky to me.

I wonder if it's possible for Vowney to come up with a fix for this as even the folks in China must be having the same problem.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest bryfly

when you google compass not working it seems to be a common problem with phones using the mtk chipset, have not managed to spot a fix though.

Guest elsita
when you google compass not working it seems to be a common problem with phones using the mtk chipset, have not managed to spot a fix though.

the problem belongs to vowney not mediatek, I use a mediatek phone with the same micro and my compass works always perfect

Guest bryfly

the problem belongs to vowney not mediatek, I use a mediatek phone with the same micro and my compass works always perfect

I didn't mean all mediatek phones , just that when you google bmm050 not working / compass not working, various phones that use mediatek have a similar problem.