Compass not working at all

Guest elsita

Guest george109

Everyone, try mailing them at [email protected] explaining the problem with the compass and maybe they will do something about it, hopefully...

EDIT: If you get a weird address with mailto: at the front as the MoDaCo app is messing around slightly >_>

Edited by george109

Guest elsita
Everyone, try mailing them at [email protected] explaining the problem with the compass and maybe they will do something about it, hopefully...

EDIT: If you get a weird address with mailto: at the front as the MoDaCo app is messing around slightly >_>

good idea

Guest Rico_89

Will do..

Also anyone got a link to the official V5 forum? Maybe we can make a post there too.

ps, why use the Modaco app. I use full webpages on my V5 and it works perfectly..is the app better?

Guest george109

It's http://bbs.v5zn.com/forum.php

Also I use the MoDaCo app as it's a lot better to read with and you can edit your posts and you have a nicer interface, compared to the mobile web version. Also I can quickly see updates on topics that I have replied to on my phone.

Edit: it's not forum.v5zn.com, link changed.

Edited by george109

Guest Rico_89

It's http://bbs.v5zn.com/forum.php

Also I use the MoDaCo app as it's a lot better to read with and you can edit your posts and you have a nicer interface, compared to the mobile web version. Also I can quickly see updates on topics that I have replied to on my phone.

Edit: it's not forum.v5zn.com, link changed.

Thanks. I think I might post in the General forum.

Just had to laugh at how this was translated: [Tutorial] no condom was supposed to come and see the oil paint. :D

Guest george109

Thanks. I think I might post in the General forum.

Just had to laugh at how this was translated: [Tutorial] no condom was supposed to come and see the oil paint. :D

:huh: -> :lol:

How did you get that! :P

Guest e45cream

Yes correct, never moves: here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Left: working V5 compass, Middle: working G300 compass, Right crapped out V5 compass.

1gma.jpg

I downloaded an app called "Android Hardware Info", and listed in the "Magnetic Field Sensor" list it says "Vendor Bosch" and lists the specs .. exactly the same as my brothers phone.

Have you tried making a nandroid backup of the working one and restoring it on the other and vice versa? At least that way we might be able to see if it's software or hardware related.

Guest Rico_89

Have you tried making a nandroid backup of the working one and restoring it on the other and vice versa? At least that way we might be able to see if it's software or hardware related.

I was going to ask about that; would that mess up my IMEI, meaning would it try to overwrite my IMEI with the one in the CWM backup I'm trying to recover?

Edited by Rico_89

Guest elsita

I was going to ask about that; would that mess up my IMEI, meaning would it try to overwrite my IMEI with the one in the CWM backup I'm trying to recover?

probably, but there is an easy solution, you can backup your imeis with mobileuncletools if you are root and save them in external sd card, so you can restore them back later, it is very easy

Guest e45cream

Perhaps a safer approach would be to backup the working one, then install a newer rom on it and check the compass.

Guest bryfly

Have reported this fault to Pandawill and they have asked for a video of the fault, just sent them a link to this thread + a video of the problem.

Rico....just a thought were you running tillaz rom before you upgraded to the latest Vowney ROM?, the wife’s phone was running tillaz rom before upgrade to latest ROM and compass point still moves, albeit not to the correct North.

Do not want to experiment with the V5 I received from Pandawill yesterday in case I have to send it back for a different brand.

Guest Rico_89

probably, but there is an easy solution, you can backup your imeis with mobileuncletools if you are root and save them in external sd card, so you can restore them back later, it is very easy

Yeah not sure I want to mess with my IMEI, since I've upgraded I can't get CWM installed properly. I had a hell of a time last night after I moved to a class ten microsd card and lost all radios. Even after a factory reset I couldn't get WiFi, Bluetooth etc working. Thought it was over for sure but long story short I flashed cwm from my pc and then managed to recover a backup I had made and now everything is working... except of course CWM.

Perhaps a safer approach would be to backup the working one, then install a newer rom on it and check the compass.

The only way that would be conclusive would be to flash the baseband and that might stop his from working altogether.

Have reported this fault to Pandawill and they have asked for a video of the fault, just sent them a link to this thread + a video of the problem.

Rico....just a thought were you running tillaz rom before you upgraded to the latest Vowney ROM?, the wife’s phone was running tillaz rom before upgrade to latest ROM and compass point still moves, albeit not to the correct North.

Do not want to experiment with the V5 I received from Pandawill yesterday in case I have to send it back for a different brand.

I did flash the first repack Tillaz made available, on the V5 with the working compass, but it messed up the mic so I recovered a nandroid backup and since then I have left things as stock with the original rom it came with. Not sure if flashing Tillaz's rom had anything to do with kick starting the compass as I never checked it before because I never really use the navigation features on any phone to be honest.

Guest blaster99999

looked at my compass , it moves around but dont think its giving true reading, im still using original merimobiles rooted rom, but installed tillaz cwm

Guest sandriderman

Just tried my compass on the Vowney and my Sony Xperia Arc using the same app. The Vowney does not move. It goes mad on the Sony (not acurate at all but at least its moving).

Im also still using original merimobiles rooted rom, but have installed tillaz cwm.

Guest bryfly

Have done a full wipe of the the V5 where I had tillaz ROM installed and the compass worked, albeit pointing to the wrong north. Then installed the latest V5 ROM and the compass still works the same, beginning to look like there is a batch of V5's where the sensors that run the compass are faulty....... if this is right then not sure what to do, the cost of returning it trying to get it fixed and back again, even selecting a different brand could be a nightmare.....or just put up with phone with no compass......what to do??

Edited by bryfly

Guest elsita

well I think the least we should do is tell to as many people as possible about this problem, so they don't buy a crippled phone, at least wihout knowledge ...

me phone is in its way back to china (pandawill) I will ask for a fully working one in return or I ask for a refund if that is not possible ...

Hi

Today I 've received this phone bought from minideal.net

My compass also does not work.

I am sending it back.

Also when I check for upgrade it tells me that I have the latest version : ALPS.JB2.MP.V1.3

Is that the latest one ?

Guest SutiAdi

well I think the least we should do is tell to as many people as possible about this problem, so they don't buy a crippled phone, at least wihout knowledge ...

me phone is in its way back to china (pandawill) I will ask for a fully working one in return or I ask for a refund if that is not possible ...

I don't think it is a hardware problem, because it is impossible that all V5's compass are faulty. I hope there will be a proper update that solves the problem.

About the rom update:

You can find all official update on needrom.com, the latest is 26.06. If you go to Settings / About Phone and scroll down to the last item, you will find the version, mine has MX1020_BER_S5009_89_RELEASE-V1.14.2013.06.26-6589-HD.

Edited by SutiAdi

Guest elsita

I don't think it is a hardware problem, because it is impossible that all V5's compass are faulty. I hope there will be a proper update that solves the problem.

About the rom update:

You can find all official update on needrom.com, the latest is 26.06. If you go to Settings / About Phone and scroll down to the last item, you will find the version, mine has MX1020_BER_S5009_89_RELEASE-V1.14.2013.06.26-6589-HD.

all but one, that is the reason I deduce it is hardware related, probably a bad manufacturing process of the mother board

Guest elsita

Other phones seem to be fixed by degaussing it. Though it seems like a lot of work. http://www.droidforu...ompass-fix.html

There's an app called phone tester that also gives good sensor data. http://youtu.be/j-P1jjPX4PU?t=2m42s

degaussing works when the compass is stacked in some place, apparently our problem is different, the chip does not comunicate with the phone, hardware apps recognize the chip but keep always with a message "waiting data from the sensor" or something like that, I have not phone right now, it is in it's way back to china

Guest bryfly

Other phones seem to be fixed by degaussing it. Though it seems like a lot of work. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/211806-possible-compass-fix.html

There's an app called phone tester that also gives good sensor data.

just tried "phone tester" and yes you get 1)compass:- waiting for data, 2) magnetic field sensor:- nothing, 3) proximity sensor:- waiting for data.

just tried "phone tester" and yes you get 1)compass:- waiting for data, 2) magnetic field sensor:- nothing, 3) proximity sensor:- waiting for data.

Same here