Compass not working at all

Guest elsita

Guest bryfly

Well I posted in the vowney tech forum about the compass problem, it was there as I read it, but I think I have been deleted, guess they did not like what I said about the faulty compass.

Guest e45cream

just tried "phone tester" and yes you get 1)compass:- waiting for data, 2) magnetic field sensor:- nothing, 3) proximity sensor:- waiting for data.

I get results, but my compass isn't working. It usually points SW, but does move about a bit as I turn the phone. post-956392-13742604576133_thumb.jpg

Guest bryfly

looks like you have one of the earlier batch / ROM, the earlier ones work but do not point in the correct direction, your pic is the same as the first V5 I received.

Guest elsita
Well I posted in the vowney tech forum about the compass problem, it was there as I read it, but I think I have been deleted, guess they did not like what I said about the faulty compass.

that's for sure, they know the problem but cannot solve it, so they delete problematic posts... bad for vowney, this is a very chineese behaviour ... someday they wil change, I hope

Edited by elsita

Guest bryfly

that's for sure, they know the problem but cannot solve it, so they delete problematic posts... bad for vowney, this is a very chineese behaviour ... someday they wil change, I hope

Don't think they get it in China, this is my response from pandawill this morning, after sending them pics and video of problem and telling them it is widespread across recent deliveries.

Dear

Good day

on your case

can you repair it in your local store ?

if yes , pls have a try and tell us the cost in advance .

regards

Carina

Guest Rico_89

Don't think they get it in China, this is my response from pandawill this morning, after sending them pics and video of problem and telling them it is widespread across recent deliveries.

Dear

Good day

on your case

can you repair it in your local store ?

if yes , pls have a try and tell us the cost in advance .

regards

Carina

Actually that's pretty good bry, I mean it's useless in terms of fixing the problem but at least they have acknowledged the issue and seems like they want you to get an estimate and if the cost of repair is low enough then, I assume, they will reimburse you. The cost of shipping it back to them is what they are most likely trying to avoid however maybe if you asked them to swap this phone for another brand like a Newman K1 for example, then they might be more receptive. I prefer OTG to a slightly better camera but the K1 looks like a solid phone.

Guest elsita

pandawill is mean, they are trying to lose the less possible money, they know compass is not working and cannot send you back a working mobile, when I sent them a video of my defective screen

first they said it was ok, then they offered me a discount for a future transaction ... then they said I should pay the return costs, then they said the paid half and gave me a 6% discount ...

they are mean, their warranty says if you receive an item DOA they pay return costs, but their word means little ...

Guest bryfly

Actually that's pretty good bry, I mean it's useless in terms of fixing the problem but at least they have acknowledged the issue and seems like they want you to get an estimate and if the cost of repair is low enough then, I assume, they will reimburse you. The cost of shipping it back to them is what they are most likely trying to avoid however maybe if you asked them to swap this phone for another brand like a Newman K1 for example, then they might be more receptive. I prefer OTG to a slightly better camera but the K1 looks like a solid phone.

Yes I agree, pretty good in terms of local repair then reimburse me, more likely not repairable locally anyway……..what I meant was they do not seem to grasp that all the V5 from a particular batch could be faulty and they could have a tidal wave of returns coming their way.

Think I will probably keep the phone as it works well apart from the compass/gps and although it should work, it is not something I would use a lot, if at all. Yes could swap it for another brand and end up with something worse + all the hassle involved.

However for my first foray into Chinese phones I think they are worth the money, but in future I will wait for a suitable period of proof in the market place before I buy my next one.

Guest SutiAdi

My opinion is similar to bryfly's. Okay, the compass is not working, but for 170$, I'm absolutely happy with my V5 as long as it works perfectly (except the compass).

Elsita's screen defect is different, it's definitely a warranty issue. If mine had screen problems, I'm sure it would drive me crazy.

Guest Rico_89

Both of you sum it up perfectly.. I would like everything working of course but I was out yesterday with my friends taking pictures/videos, texting, watching music videos etc and my phone had the biggest screen so everyone was huddled around it for a couple of hours.. That right there made it worth it for me, as to get anything like the V5 in UK would cost more than twice as much and seeing as I never use any kind of navigation then I am happy..

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Rico_89

What I find strange is my compass doesn't look like its working correctly but sat nav works still

That's because GPS navigation isn't like an inertial navigation system where direction is important to calculate your position. GPS triangulates your position by measuring your devices distance from satellites in orbit. Also I assume the software would take advantage of a compass heading but it should still know which direction, on the map, your device is pointing even though it could't give you a north south heading.

That's because GPS navigation isn't like an inertial navigation system where direction is important to calculate your position. GPS triangulates your position by measuring your devices distance from satellites in orbit. Also I assume the software would take advantage of a compass heading but it should still know which direction, on the map, your device is pointing even though it could't give you a north south heading.

So can I check this with people who have this phone? GPS still works OK on the phone even if the compass is not functioning correctly ?

Was thinking of buying one, but thought that with the compass problem GPS would not work, and I like to have the sat-nav function on my phone.

Guest elsita

yes, gps works fine, you get location quite easy if you are in open air, better than other chinese phones, what you don't have is the direction towards you are looking in the map, so if you are trying to orientate in an unknown place you don't know wich direction to choose

with some navigation programs you may have as much as 40 meters deviation from your actual location, and if it occurrs at an intersection or any change of ways you may get confused guessing where to go next

compass is not critical to navigation, but as gps is easy to lose signal most programs rely quite a log in compass data

another side effect is that programs recording your tracks, like google my tracks or runkeeper or any other tracking app, give you quite an imprecise track, as they use the compass to know your paces when they lose gps signal

Edited by elsita

yes, gps works fine, you get location quite easy if you are in open air, better than other chinese phones, what you don't have is the direction towards you are looking in the map, so if you are trying to orientate in an unknown place you don't know wich direction to choose

another side effect is that programs recording your tracks, like google my tracks or runkeeper or any other tracking app, give you quite an imprecise track, as they use the compass to know your paces when the lose gps signal

Thanks for that, Elsita, sat nav would be my only requirement (my tracks or runkeeper sound like things for people who walk or run!!).

Thanks again............maybe I will wait a bit longer and see if they sort the issues before purchasing.

Looks like a nice phone, but will stick with my G300 for now.

Thanks again

Guest blaster99999

went out for a walk today and my vowney came with me, as I was walking through fields and country lanes thought I would give google maps a go, loaded up google maps and would not find a sat lock, so run gps test and with in 2 minutes had a lock, reopened google maps and it found a lock straight away, put onto walk mode and this is where you need a working compass, could see where I was on the map but the phone was giving me incorrect direction I was facing, now due to the fact my compass does work but is showing incorrect direction can I calibrate it some how. Now to be honest the none working compass isn't a big deal, I have only ever once used walk on google map and that was when I had my g300 and it worked ok on that phone, its just that if there is a possible fix I would like it to work on my vowney,

Guest elsita

I am afraid vowney cannot sort the problem out, so they delete messages in their technical forums talking about the compass ... I guess in the future they will change the specs of their phone deleting any reference to the compass ...

Guest bryfly

You could try this Advanced Tools app: https://play.google....C5hdG9vbHMiXQ..

just tried this app on the v5 where the compass does work even if it points south when it is north, to calibrate you have to rotate through all 3 axis until the pictures turn green, needless to say the pics did not turn green............be interested to see if other people with the working compass can achieve calibration with this app....

Guest relapso

Hello, yesterday I got the v5 from Pandawill (DHL, 6 days in italy). Use Tillaz rom because it seems to me better to take stock of the 3G (0626) and allows me to eliminate annoying msg and the indicator sim missing. The gps, using gps.conf, activating agps and EPO, hook better and receive more satellites of my LG p970, and is very stable and accurate navigation! The compass is completely dead on all roms tried, but everything else works fine (even BT handsfree car) only the brightness of the screen and soft touch a bit 'high in dark environments. I would say that for the price it's great!

I just want to understand if the compass is software problem and then solved or not, so I sent email to the support Vowney. I hope I meet!

Sorry for the google translation.

Guest elsita

Hello, yesterday I got the v5 from Pandawill (DHL, 6 days in italy). Use Tillaz rom because it seems to me better to take stock of the 3G (0626) and allows me to eliminate annoying msg and the indicator sim missing. The gps, using gps.conf, activating agps and EPO, hook better and receive more satellites of my LG p970, and is very stable and accurate navigation! The compass is completely dead on all roms tried, but everything else works fine (even BT handsfree car) only the brightness of the screen and soft touch a bit 'high in dark environments. I would say that for the price it's great!

I just want to understand if the compass is software problem and then solved or not, so I sent email to the support Vowney. I hope I meet!

Sorry for the google translation.

you can adjust general brightnes with software from the play store, yaab for general setting, or velis auto brightness if you want to adjust personally an any level