Compass not working at all

Guest elsita

Guest bryfly

Just had the following response to a question on the pandawill forum

Compass is not working on any ROM. All roms are using same kernel and magnetic sensor driver is not initialised properly. Only new kernel (or maybe boot.img) can solve this problem....

Not sure if this gives any hope that they can cure with a new ROM / kernel / boot img.?

Edited by bryfly

Guest elsita

Just had the following response to a question on the pandawill forum

Compass is not working on any ROM. All roms are using same kernel and magnetic sensor driver is not initialised properly. Only new kernel (or maybe boot.img) can solve this problem....

Not sure if this gives any hope that they can cure with a new ROM / kernel / boot img.?

if that is true, a solution may arrive some day, and if the v5 with a working compass is malfunctioning too, there is a hope it is only a software problem, I thought the one with the working compass worked fine, but it does not seem to do it ... this is good news :)

about compass calibration, it is very easy, you have to make a couple of turns in the three mobile axis to calibrate it automatically, you don't need any special app, usually drawing an 8 parallel to the floor with the phone works the same

Edited by elsita

Guest bryfly

Just had this response from Vowney about the compass problem on their facebook page

Vowney凡尔纳 dear customer,

As for your question about our product, we will convey to the technical department for dealing with it as well as making you satisfied soon. I hope sincerely you can understand, thank you very much!

Guest relapso

Typical response dilator ... Technical support Vowney asked not responding!

It is probably a hardware defect, but do not want the state to avoid returns.

If it was a software problem would have already solved, or at least they would have responded by stating that they would.

Ps the compass does not work even with the latest rom V5T!

Guest bryfly

Just had this response from Vowney about the compass problem on their facebook page

Vowney凡尔纳 dear customer,

As for your question about our product, we will convey to the technical department for dealing with it as well as making you satisfied soon. I hope sincerely you can understand, thank you very much!

This is the latest from the Vowney facebook page.............

The notice for our national customers about V5.

Rencently,we received an awkward problem on the function of electronic compass, which we have conveyed to our technological and overseas sales department to investigate whether this problem was existed in our products selling in tne world market. We apologize for it and we will try our best to give you a satisfactory result, hope sincerely you can understand. Thank you very much! — in Shenzhen, Guangdong.

Guest aporunn003

The Vowney has another problem: the geolocalization with WiFi & 3G (without GPS).

This is a problem of Software (Vowney ROM) because with another cooked ROM this problem was solved...

Guest SutiAdi

The Vowney has another problem: the geolocalization with WiFi & 3G (without GPS).

This is a problem of Software (Vowney ROM) because with another cooked ROM this problem was solved...

You need to flash GApps with CWM. Inside the GApps there is a NetworkLocation.apk which is needed for the positioning without GPS.

Here you can find a proper GApps:

http://www.mediafire...P-dmd151(2).zip

I use the 0626 stock ROM with this GApps and the location works well.

Edited by SutiAdi

Guest aporunn003

You need NetworkLocation.apk which is needed for the positioning without GPS.

Thanks!!!! You were right!!

Now my phone works perfectly over WiFi and 3G gelolocalization :D

• 1 month later...
Guest aporunn003

No, it does not. In this ROM compass shows the gravity direction, i.e. it points where you tilt it. Looks like it's bound to gravity sensor.

Has anyone tried this ROM? This is the only way to know if the compass works with it or not

Relapso, do you have tried this ROM?

George, I don't undestand your explanation... "the gravity direction"?

Has anyone tried this ROM? This is the only way to know if the compass works with it or not

(Test for a short time.) Compass moves, does not indicate right, but I think this should mean that it is a software problem not hardware.

Guest aporunn003

(Test for a short time.) Compass moves, does not indicate right, but I think this should mean that it is a software problem not hardware.

Thks!!!

I also hope it is a softw. problem

Guest George_Sh

I tried this ROM and compass specifically. I meant that in this ROM the application 'compass' is bound to the gravity sensor instead of magnetic sensor. So the compass arrow moves (since gravity sensor works fine) but it will always show North where gravity is. E.g. if you hold the phone vertically, portrait orientation, North will be down. If you put it on an ideal flat surface, the arrow will rotate randomly. something like that.

Guest aporunn003

I tried this ROM and compass specifically. I meant that in this ROM the application 'compass' is bound to the gravity sensor instead of magnetic sensor. So the compass arrow moves (since gravity sensor works fine) but it will always show North where gravity is. E.g. if you hold the phone vertically, portrait orientation, North will be down. If you put it on an ideal flat surface, the arrow will rotate randomly. something like that.

Thks for your explanation!!!

Do you think it possible to fix up the compass?

Guest George_Sh

Do you think it possible to fix up the compass?

I'm not a ROM maker, so my opinoin won't mean a lot. :)

Since the magnetic sensor is detected by all programs (as Bosch BMM050), I think this is a software issue, but Vowney seems to be unable or unwilling to correct it.

Guest aporunn003

I'm not a ROM maker, so my opinoin won't mean a lot. :)

Since the magnetic sensor is detected by all programs (as Bosch BMM050), I think this is a software issue, but Vowney seems to be unable or unwilling to correct it.

I hope so!

Guest George_Sh

Now I use this new rom:

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/romvowney-v5jb4-2-1cm10-1-cyanogenmod-10-1-stock-mix-rom-by-filipmcmine/

Is almost perfect. It seems that the creator of the follow daily! He also states to resolve compass in the next versions. Hopefully!

relapso, thanks for the link!

Among commentaries to that ROM there's a link to a thread on some Italian forum where they seem to almost have found a solution: http://www.androidiani.com/forum/altri-terminali-mtk/341087-vowney-v5-problemi-alla-bussola-2.html#post4559786

It said that copying a module called /system/bin/memsicd3426x from some MIUI ROM and renaming our file 'bmm050d' (and rebooting) does help. But the data from the sensor is inverted.

Looks like V5 actually has a different magnetic sensor chip, not Bosch.

Haven't done this myself yet, will try tonight.

relapso, thanks for the link!

Among commentaries to that ROM there's a link to a thread on some Italian forum where they seem to almost have found a solution: http://www.androidiani.com/forum/altri-terminali-mtk/341087-vowney-v5-problemi-alla-bussola-2.html#post4559786

It said that copying a module called /system/bin/memsicd3426x from some MIUI ROM and renaming our file 'bmm050d' (and rebooting) does help. But the data from the sensor is inverted.

Looks like V5 actually has a different magnetic sensor chip, not Bosch.

Haven't done this myself yet, will try tonight.