Compass not working at all

Guest elsita

relapso, thanks for the link!

Among commentaries to that ROM there's a link to a thread on some Italian forum where they seem to almost have found a solution: http://www.androidiani.com/forum/altri-terminali-mtk/341087-vowney-v5-problemi-alla-bussola-2.html#post4559786

It said that copying a module called /system/bin/memsicd3426x from some MIUI ROM and renaming our file 'bmm050d' (and rebooting) does help. But the data from the sensor is inverted.

Looks like V5 actually has a different magnetic sensor chip, not Bosch.

Haven't done this myself yet, will try tonight.

Among commentaries to that ROM there's a link to a thread on some Italian forum where they seem to almost have found a solution: http://www.androidiani.com/forum/altri-terminali-mtk/341087-vowney-v5-problemi-alla-bussola-2.html#post4559786

It said that copying a module called /system/bin/memsicd3426x from some MIUI ROM and renaming our file 'bmm050d' (and rebooting) does help. But the data from the sensor is inverted.

Guest aporunn003

I wait expectantly your opinions!!! :)

Guest George_Sh

Bad luck, guys. Replacing memsicd3416x file and renaming bmm050d only binds compass to g-sensor chip, so that North is where you tilt the phone. The search goes on...

Guest George_Sh
Interesting, I've run across a thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2033041) where people report not working compass on different Android MTK6575-77 phones produced by Alps, just like our Vowney. And first reports are dated December 2012. If Alps still hadn't suggested a solution for its older phones, we have poor chances of resolving the issue unless someone makes an alternative core like Cyanogen mod.
There is one ROM called Cyanogen on needrom.com, but they say it's not actually Cyanogen, it's just a modded stock ROM instead.

Guest 27ylliw

if you have installed custom rom with cwm you have erased a file named accel_nvm into dir /data/misc/sensor 

you must put this file to have compass working.

Try this.

http://d-h.st/bzw

Copy to sdcard and using root explorer (or similar tool) move to dir /data/misc/sensors/ after clicked on Mount RW.

After moved click on Mount RO and reboot.

Now compass is working.

P.S. you must have also right memsicd3416x file

Edited by 27ylliw

Guest Dan Mullen

if you have installed custom rom with cwm you have erased a file named accel_nvm into dir /data/misc/sensor 

you must put this file to have compass working.

Try this.

http://d-h.st/bzw

Copy to sdcard and using root explorer (or similar tool) move to dir /data/misc/sensors/ after clicked on Mount RW.

After moved click on Mount RO and reboot.

Now compass is working.

P.S. you must have also right memsicd3416x file

Has anyone tried this?

Guest George_Sh

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, this solution by an Italian guy called Caber/Becar is mentioned here in English and here in Italian.

I tried it but it didn't work for me. Caber says it works with his phone, where compass worked on a stock ROM from the very start. So this solution is proven for repairing software compass problem on custom ROMs on such phones.

Guest Ironandroid

Keep on following the italian thread on compass malfunction it is getting more evident that there might an hardware problem on our phones and this might explain why vowney cannot find a solution. Interestingly there is a clone phone to the v5 named m5 and it would be interesting if somebody could find an original rom of this phone to compare with the vowney one

• 2 weeks later...
Guest George_Sh

People, I've got some news. Those who received their V5's this October report their compass working fine with the same stock ROM (20130626). So this is another sign that it was a hardware problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest George_Sh

There's a new stock ROM on needrom. Although it's generally good and fast enough, the compass still doesn't work. Probably it's a hardware issue. I give up.

What is the prefered method of installing this ROM ?

Using sp_flash_tool, CWM or mobile uncle tools ?

Does network location work in this rom ?

Is it mutli language ?

Edited by bamp

I installed ok but there is a problem : I can't see any application widget except the default ones. Any new installed widget does not appear in available widgets.

Also the networklocation.apk is missing from system/app so network location is not available.

Any info on how to solve the above problems ?

Edited by bamp

Guest pelelademadera

I installed ok but there is a problem : I can't see any application widget except the default ones. Any new installed widget does not appear in available widgets.

Also the networklocation.apk is missing from system/app so network location is not available.

Any info on how to solve the above problems ?

reflash.... Something went wrong.... The stock rom from needrom works great for me.

Only the compass works bad.

Guest pelelademadera

I 've flashed two times. Same problem.

This is a known problem as I see in their forum. Many posts like this

Does network location works for you ?

I dont know, my gps its allways on by request, but how can I test?

Open google maps with gps off???

Guest George_Sh

Yes, the network location does not work with this ROM. Though, it's easy to solve. Just copy the attached file 'networklocation.apk' (unpack it from zip!) to /system/apps/, set the rights to rw-r--r-- (like with all other files in that folder), reboot and voila!

NetworkLocation.zip

• 1 month later...
Guest sharxs

Hey guys, after read and read thousen post abaout the vowney compass, this morning it works!!

I did this steps:

Put this accel_nvm from i dont remember but i think was from modaco¡s forum.

And install this Gaaps from another forum, i used this 4 fix my geolocation without gps (and work perfect)

When i did this my compass didnt work but this morning i disc wifi and 3g and use only gps, and sourprise compass was working.

Then copy accel_nvm to data/misc/sensors qith rw-rw-rw then install Gapps, and restart without quick restart (only this time) then probe the compass and if it still dont working try turn off 3g and wifi and run only gps tto probe the compass.

I hope this work 4 u guys. And sorry about my english i know its bad.

accel_nvm: https://mega.co.nz/#!FA5hFLCD!S_xfjwg817U96u1Eh4VZlUS4AhhguEu2SXn5w4JCrn0

Gapps: https://mega.co.nz/#!QRxGTLSY!ZysvHxRbfRdYFAsW0snKejqXae1HRbfPf-RIg62OdYI