Does anyone who has tried iOS think Android is acceptable?

Guest Confucious

Guest Confucious

Having used iOS for the past few years and my daughter wanting my phone I graver her my iPhone 4 for her birthday (she gave me her 3GS to sell)

I decided there was no point in buying an iP5 so would try Android and if I didn't like it I would buy the new iPhone when it came out in septemberish.

I bought a Nexus 4 and really hate it.

Just like WinMo did everything the iPhone did until you saw an iPhone, the same is true with Android. I'm sure it is great if you've not used iOS, but seriously? Has anyone used iOS and thought Android is serious as an alternative!

Guest maniac_mouse

I had an iphone very briefly, it was a nasty clunky, restricted thing compared to Android. Itunes is an abomination, everything takes so much longer to do than on Android. The ios ui is horribly limited and quite frankly looks dated. Developing for it is a right hastle with loads of artificial restrictions on what you can do and what you use to do it with, and Apple can refuse or pull your app on a whim if they dont like it. The battery is non removable and hasnt got a great lifespan, the usb/charging cable is non standard and you cant access the filesystem as a removable drive. No widgets, launcher replacements or any sort of customisation whatsoever, crippled bluetooth and no flash video. I really hated it, it was like an expensive feature phone for numptys, so glad I sold it before it lost much value.

Guest Confucious

Hopefully my new iPhone will arrive today. My experiment with Android is over.

The battery is non removable n my Nexus and even turning of everything that makes a phone usable its life was still awful compared to the iPhone.

I prefer my device to be secure rather than wide open to hacking and I've never had Apple pull an app whereas to install any Android app it asks for permissions which, in lots of cases I just was not prepared to give.

Customization? I can't be bothered with the amount of work involved. Nothing 'just works' like it does on the iPhone, Android just makes everything more difficult, from when you type in your 4 digit pass code and nothing happens until you realise Android expects you to hit the enter key as well (why?) it just goes downhill.

I guess we'll have to agree to differ, I'm sure you will never buy another iPhone and I'm fairly certain I am not masochistic enough to buy another Android device so I'll just say good luck. So long as your happy with your device and I'm happy with mine.

It would be a sad world if we all wanted exactly the same.

Guest Voxpop2011

Well, I have a foot in both camps being both an iPhone 4 and a Huawei Ascend G510 owner. I like the clean, sleek look of the iPhone and its instaneous response. The downside is the limitation of a 'sand boxed' device so that you have to jailbreak to customise. With an Android phone, you can pretty much change the whole look just by adding a launcher. Rooting gives you more options, but this is a complicated process - I have done it on the Skate and the Ascend - whereas as jailbreaking is easy. You choose the software that matches the model and provided you follow the instructions properly, takes about 5 minutes.

The app stores for both Apple and Android are comprehensive, but google can be stroppy too and pull applications, such as the ad blockers.

@Confucious, which iPhone have you ordered?

Edited by Voxpop2011

Guest maniac_mouse

The battery is non removable n my Nexus and even turning of everything that makes a phone usable its life was still awful compared to the iPhone.

The battery on my Note is both removable and lasts longer than my Iphone did. I can also pack several for multiday trips out into the wilds. At least with Android you have the option of a removable battery.

I prefer my device to be secure rather than wide open to hacking and I've never had Apple pull an app whereas to install any Android app it asks for permissions which, in lots of cases I just was not prepared to give.

Android is secure, its the user installing dodgy apps that causes the problem (as it is for windows etc) and tbh i would rather have the option of being able to sideload apps at my discretion rather than being walled into a currated nursery. There are quite a few permission managing apps that can block uneccesary permissions, I use xprivacy, but there is also pdroid and lbe.

Again, Apple doesnt let you fine grain what an app has access to, its all or nothing and some ios apps are mega invasive (facebook springs to mind as one).

Customization? I can't be bothered with the amount of work involved. Nothing 'just works' like it does on the iPhone, Android just makes everything more difficult, from when you type in your 4 digit pass code and nothing happens until you realise Android expects you to hit the enter key as well (why?) it just goes downhill.

I never have a problem with passcodes or enter buttons, must be the way your device is set up, on mine I tap in the 4 digits and it unlocks without enter being pressed. I would also argue that itunes makes everything much more slow and complicated than just mounting the device as a removable drive. No flash video is a real negative as well, there goes half the video streaming sites available online.

I guess we'll have to agree to differ, I'm sure you will never buy another iPhone and I'm fairly certain I am not masochistic enough to buy another Android device so I'll just say good luck. So long as your happy with your device and I'm happy with mine.

It would be a sad world if we all wanted exactly the same.

Yup, tis like wine and women :D. Good luck with your new device.

Guest glossywhite

Tim Cook: "We make the best, not the most"

Sorry Android, you're just too messy, inconsistent and unpredicatble, not to mention the massive variance of quality across the ridiculous amount of devices (the quality of which dilute and spoil any reputation Google has left) and the "openness" does you NO favours.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest akarana

I've never had an iPhone, but I've used iPods since whenever, and still have an iPod Touch 5. I have to confess iTunes has got bloated and clunkier lately, the method of getting stuff on and off the iPod gets crankier, but I'm sticking with my iPod for a while. It has nearly all the features of iPhone (except of course the phone) at less than a third the price. I'm keeping it because it has a better camera than any Android device at the same price, it has better video playback, and I have a couple of education apps that just aren't there on Android.

I have used Android phones for three years now, and they just keep on getting better. Easier file and app management than iPhone, and the community of devs fixing things is usually quicker and more to the point than waiting for Apple to fix only what they want to fix. e.g. taking the auto-brightness off the latest iPod Touch was stupid and is almost the last straw driving me completely over to Android.

Guest Confucious

My new iPhone is at the Post Office, I will collect it in the morning. The first one I bought never turned up.

I really can't wait to get rid of Android. Personally, I hate it.

If price is your priority buy Android.

If you like having to change everything and accept terms I wouldn't then Android might be for you. It's just not for me.

Enjoy.

Guest The Soup Thief
Has anyone used iOS and thought Android is serious as an alternative!

Yes.

Many, many, many millions of people, among them a lot switching from iOS to Android (while others switch in the other direction). Amazing as it may seem, sometimes others hold views different from your own.

Anyone else have any overly valued opinions they'd like to air?

Guest Confucious

If you're happy with Android, great. I just found it appalling after iOS and am so pleased I have an iPhone again. My Nexus will be back on eBay when I return from holiday. I'm glad some people like Android, it means I might actually be able to sell it!

Guest Confucious

I've never been called a troll before, been posting here and on dad devs and many other forums for a long time, just never found anything ad bad as Android, given the competition. I didn't see anything iOS could do that WinNo couldn't. Until you try it you will be satisfied with anything but can anyone actually tell me why they think Android is acceptable after trying iOS?

iTunrs is awful, if that is what you need then Android is better, but as a mature OS?

Can someone that has tried both tell me what they like about Android?

Guest akarana

I said what I had to say above, but since the fish is still biting I'll add a paraphrase from Mad magazine waaay back,

iPhone is a non-thinking-man's device.

Guest Confucious

I said what I had to say above, but since the fish is still biting I'll add a paraphrase from Mad magazine waaay back,

iPhone is a non-thinking-man's device.

Your 70 posts here show what a great thinking man you are.

To suggest I am a troll or a 'non-thinking man' is, to anyone that knows me absurd.

I still do not know why anyone who has tried iOS could possibly prefer Android. I have been around long enough to have tried most Smartphone OSs and was really disappointed by Android.

Guest LeWill

Have to question why someone who doesn't like Android would post here? What are they actually expecting? People to say "good points, we are all switching to Android"? In answer to your original post, my wife has an iPhone 4s but I much prefer Android. I feel ios is more for the simpler users and Android is more for the technically minded. I don't personally know anyone who has moved from Android to ios, but know 2 who have moved the other way and now much prefer Android.

Edited by LeWill

Guest Confucious

I was hoping that someone who had switched from iOS to Android would be able to tell me why.

I am quite 'technically minded' as you put and have spent many years flashing phones (starting with flashing the Sony-Ericsson T68i FW on to the original Ericson T68

I was quite involved with winMo ( as can be witnessed frothe number of posts I have both here and on xda-devs) and am savvy enough for the iPhone-Dev team to have asked me to moderate their blog when it got to big for them to moderate themselves.

It is not that I am incapable of doing it, I just don't see why I should have to when the iPhone just works. Everything just seems so much harder on Android. I guess maybe I'm just getting old and can't be bothered any more. You spend a lot of time customising Android to end up with something that isn't as good as iOS out of the box.

Guest LeWill

I think there have already been quite a few people reply to your original question, but I guess you aren't interested in their answers. My current phone is an Acer Liquid E2 that came with Android 4.2. I've not customised it at all, so perhaps you can let me know what ios offers that my phone cannot do out of the box? My phone is a dual sim model which the iphone simply can't compete with and like for like we've already noticed that the iphone's camera can't match the Acer for night shots, so what do you think ios can do that my Acer can't? This then shows another important factor, an Android phone capable of challenging an Apple phone when it is only a third of the price.

Guest Thumper Net

Ios is ok if you want a locked down platform , thats good for kids and grannys , android can do more most functions you have on a pc can be done on an android device , having both a htc one and an iphone 5 i see my iphone more in the draw than in everyday use only jailbreaking an iphone gives you the android freedom and with the next ios looking very much like a childs os the iphone will loose even more customers

Guest Al_1604

Quite simply, I can't afford an i-Phone and I'm very happy with my Android - it does everything I expect of it.

My only experience of iOS is my Daughter's iPod touch - a 'jumped-up' music player that cost significantly more than my very acceptable phone.

i-Stuff is well designed and made but the prices.... eeesh!

Guest philliboi
I was hoping that someone who had switched from iOS to Android would be able to tell me why.

I am quite 'technically minded' as you put and have spent many years flashing phones (starting with flashing the Sony-Ericsson T68i FW on to the original Ericson T68

I was quite involved with winMo ( as can be witnessed frothe number of posts I have both here and on xda-devs) and am savvy enough for the iPhone-Dev team to have asked me to moderate their blog when it got to big for them to moderate themselves.

It is not that I am incapable of doing it, I just don't see why I should have to when the iPhone just works. Everything just seems so much harder on Android. I guess maybe I'm just getting old and can't be bothered any more. You spend a lot of time customising Android to end up with something that isn't as good as iOS out of the box.

I switched to Android from iOS before the iPhone 4 came out. Why? There's a looooong list. App integration with damn near any app installed. True multitasking. Freedom to customize. Security issues? IPhone has had their far share of em. No technology is truly hack proof. That's user error. If you know what your doing and paying attention then you'll be fine. Never had any security issues and I've been using Android since forever. It does boil down to the saying to each their own. Talking facts though, Android just does more. It's your opinion if it doesn't for you. But in reality it does a whole lot more. It's just better. With all the Android devices of course there's gonna be some lame ones, but there's choices. Apple has two colors to choose from and few different generation phones that does exactly the same thing. When I upgrade I wanna try upgrade. Each Galaxy s series phone has loads of new features. That's just the skin. I'm not gonna even get into the system. iFile on a jailbroken iDevice has nothing on default file browsing on Android. I could go on forever. Best thing apple has going for them is the people afraid of change.

Guest LeWill

One other thing that annoys me about Apple is that you cannot use Bluetooth to transfer files between phones. The Windows phone also used to suffer from this, but at least MS put it right.

Guest Confucious

Having seen someone else's Android phone (a Samsung I believe) it did not have most of the problems that my Nexus did so I think my experience is not typical of Android.

But I am still very pleased to be back with the iPhone, the 5 is a vast improvement on my 4.

I don't think I've ever used BT to transfer files, except once many years ago just to see if I could. What's wrong with email?

Guest LeWill

BT transfer is just quicker. When my kids were on pay as you go (no internet), transferring music and photos between their phones and their mum's was impossible when they were out. I still use BT to transfer now (even though they have contracts) because it is quicker. Yes, they could use e-mail but that isn't the fastest solution (and also eats into monthly allowances). This is just an example of where IOS isn't as good as Android.

• 1 month later...
Guest Thumper Net

Now have ios 7 on my iphone 5 , makes the phone slower and you see so much android rippoffs as well , battery dies quicker as well , still prefer my htc one black over my black iphone 5 , mainly because of the better screen and sound

Guest Thumper Net

Now have ios 7 on my iphone 5 , makes the phone slower and you see so much android rippoffs as well , battery dies quicker as well , still prefer my htc one black over my black iphone 5 , mainly because of the better screen and sound