Would you buy the v5 again?

Guest trashbat

If you use the GPS for Google maps does the blue arrow/dot drift when left on a flat surface outside ?

Come on answer the question!!! :) :) Don't be worrying about all that Antutu stuff and uploading pictures!!

Just ran Antutu on my MLAIS MX58 Air and it reads 12660. I know nothing about Antutu and benchmarking etc. so don't ask me !! :P

Edited by SG8

Guest aliaird

Come on answer the question!!! :) :) Don't be worrying about all that Antutu stuff and uploading pictures!!

Just ran Antutu on my MLAIS MX58 Air and it reads 12660. I know nothing about Antutu and benchmarking etc. so don't ask me !! :P

No. My blue dot is solid and exactly where I am. When you first turn it on and it is using Wifi and A-GPS to get a rough position until it gets a good GPS signal, it's a little variable, and has a bit blue circle or doubt, but once it has a good lock, it's very stable. I'm really happy with the GPS side of this phone. Are you getting something different on your Air?

Just took it on a 5 minute dog walk and it had me precisely where I was, to about a couple of metres I would say

I ordered and received the Mlais MX58 Air, ( could not afford the pro!! :) ) , but the GPS is a bit off, when I sit in the drive using google maps/navigation the blue arrow/dot drift all over the place (through the neigbours, into my back garden, and across the road). Have installed Sygic for Satnav purposes and it seems to work quite well.

Bought the Mlais instead of the Vowney in the hope that the GPS would work perfectly, am delighted with the phone, and as Sygic appears to do the SatNav function am not too bothered by using that instead of Google Maps for navigation.

QUICK UPDATE. Had sent Merimobiles an email highlighting the problem with the GPS and they sent me this link http://www.gizchina....ediatek-phones/

which appears to have made it a lot better. Not 100% still but picks up more satellites and gets a position quicker.

Did the GPS update that Merimobiles pointed you too stop the blue arrow wondering around in Google Maps? Also how are you finding the battery life on the Mlais Air? Thinking about ordering one for the great camera spec, but I also want good GPS. Thats the reason I've been put off the V5.

Guest aliaird

So I had a big session, just me and the MX58 having a few home truths over the weekend and he's decided to improve his behaviour. I tried a load of ROMs from needrom and really loved the Samsung port, really smooth and quick, but the GPS wasn't working at all, so that had to go.

In the end i went back to my original ROM and built it up again from scratch, and things seem to be better . I wonder whether when I used Go Backup to restore the apps I had on my V5 whether some system settings were getting copied across and causing problems. I don't know, but I'm no longer seeing 8000 on Antutu, more like 12, and the occasional 14.

I think I will just relax and enjoy the phone now for a bit... (unless a new ROM comes along of course!)

So I had a big session, just me and the MX58 having a few home truths over the weekend and he's decided to improve his behaviour. I tried a load of ROMs from needrom and really loved the Samsung port, really smooth and quick, but the GPS wasn't working at all, so that had to go.

In the end i went back to my original ROM and built it up again from scratch, and things seem to be better . I wonder whether when I used Go Backup to restore the apps I had on my V5 whether some system settings were getting copied across and causing problems. I don't know, but I'm no longer seeing 8000 on Antutu, more like 12, and the occasional 14.

I think I will just relax and enjoy the phone now for a bit... (unless a new ROM comes along of course!)

How are you finding the battery on the MX58 Pro? I was reading the translated MX58 forum on HTCMania and some people were complaining of very short battery life and excessive heat coming from the phone. I think the general opinion was the Mlais had lied about the battery capacity.

Edited by Guest

Guest aliaird

Battery is not good. No way is it 2500mAh. It's a day's battery at best. It ran out on me today at 5pm and I don't think I was using it hard. The V5 is MUCH better batterywise. And value wise imho at the moment.

Will keep plugging away.

Battery is not good. No way is it 2500mAh. It's a day's battery at best. It ran out on me today at 5pm and I don't think I was using it hard. The V5 is MUCH better batterywise. And value wise imho at the moment.

Will keep plugging away.

Cheers aliaird! I think the Mlais MX58 is off my list now.

Guest moorish

Cheers aliaird! I think the Mlais MX58 is off my list now.

Do you think it's the FHD screen using up the battery? Would be useful to compare it to the Air.

There is a new updated version being released with supposed 2800 mAh battery

http://www.gizmochin...d-core-chipset/

I can't decide whether to wait for MX59, or get MX58 Pro or MX58 Air.

Do you think it's the FHD screen using up the battery? Would be useful to compare it to the Air.

There is a new updated version being released with supposed 2800 mAh battery

http://www.gizmochin...d-core-chipset/

I can't decide whether to wait for MX59, or get MX58 Pro or MX58 Air.

Well it seems the Air has GPS issues in google maps, and the Pro has battery issues. I think the Air may have battery issues too. I was reading a translated Spanish forum (HTC Mania) about a lot of problems owners had. I think the battery may be poor on the Air too. Some build quality has also been an issue with failing buttons. But then maybe its no worse than the Vowney V5?

Have a dig around here : http://www.htcmania.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1125

and here: http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=654643

You will have to you a translate.

Guest allanmac

Some V5 comments:

1. Like others, I've found the V5 battery life to be exceptional. It's a huge battery that can go all day. The phone is definitely heavy because of this but that's OK.

2. I looked at mobiles with FHD displays but didn't think it was worth it since at 5" you're already at 294 dpi if you have a 1280x720 LCD. I've read that FHD displays are gorgeous and your eye can perceive that *something* is different but at ~300 dpi it's near impossible to see individual pixels ... so 440 dpi is probably not gaining you much. ( I'm sure someone who has an FHD phone can describe what's perceptually different -- probably extremely small text *is* easier to read. )

3. The V5 GPS seems fine to me. The EPO settings can be enabled without even going into MobileUncle. I usually leave GPS off and just go with Wi-Fi+cell positioning if I'm in an urban area.

4. I've used the 3G for a week and am pretty happy with it. I'm only going to be able to use 850 MHz HSPA+ here in the USA but I can see that it's connected to "21 Mbps (rel. 7) HSPA+" on AT&T (which translates to almost 5 Mbps downloads).

5. Calls are clear over the mic and bluetooth.

Edited by allanmac

Did the GPS update that Merimobiles pointed you too stop the blue arrow wondering around in Google Maps? Also how are you finding the battery life on the Mlais Air? Thinking about ordering one for the great camera spec, but I also want good GPS. Thats the reason I've been put off the V5.

I spent ages thinking about buying the V5, but when I read about the GPS issues with that, and then read that the MLAIS MX58PRO did not have the issue, I decided to try the Air (bit cheaper than the pro), in the hope that the GPS worked well on that as well. The fix Merimobiles pointed me to, seemed to make it a lot better but did not stop the blue arrow wandering in Google maps, but Sygic appeared to work a lot better (after applying the fix), but this appears to have been a false impression as I used the satnav while away for a few days in another city and the positioning was next to useless. The 'MAP' function in MobileUncle seems to be fairly spot on with the positioning, but using the Satnav is not really an option at the moment, am also not sure if I am meant to apply the fix everytime before I use the SatNav functions, but as my Sygic trial has expired anyway I don't think I will purchase the app and then find I cannot use the phone as a sat-nav anyway.

Phone is great otherwise and if anyone doesn't intend using their phone as a sat nav, then it would be a good buy. I think I will hold onto it and keep my old TomTom sat nav in the car for use as required.

I spent ages thinking about buying the V5, but when I read about the GPS issues with that, and then read that the MLAIS MX58PRO did not have the issue, I decided to try the Air (bit cheaper than the pro), in the hope that the GPS worked well on that as well. The fix Merimobiles pointed me to, seemed to make it a lot better but did not stop the blue arrow wandering in Google maps, but Sygic appeared to work a lot better (after applying the fix), but this appears to have been a false impression as I used the satnav while away for a few days in another city and the positioning was next to useless. The 'MAP' function in MobileUncle seems to be fairly spot on with the positioning, but using the Satnav is not really an option at the moment, am also not sure if I am meant to apply the fix everytime before I use the SatNav functions, but as my Sygic trial has expired anyway I don't think I will purchase the app and then find I cannot use the phone as a sat-nav anyway.

Phone is great otherwise and if anyone doesn't intend using their phone as a sat nav, then it would be a good buy. I think I will hold onto it and keep my old TomTom sat nav in the car for use as required.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I saw your previous post as I was about to buy the Mlais Air but I know the Google maps issue would really annoy me.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I saw your previous post as I was about to buy the Mlais Air but I know the Google maps issue would really annoy me.

Seems to be a problem with a lot of these phones, whatever phone you are considering, just google the model and 'GPS issues' and see what it throws up before you do decide.

Guest aliaird

It's funny, isn't it how inconsistent things seem to be.

I've never had any of the problems I had with the V5 GPS with the MX58 Pro. I am really pleased with the Mlais in that regard, both on Google Maps and Navigation

I downgraded my MX58 ROM from the one it came with (dated 1 July) to the one dated 28 June, and it's been a bit smoother, and the Antutu scores are now where I would expect to see them - c.14000+, so there might have been a bug in the latest ROM?

Will keep my eyes out for a new battery though, hopefully it will fit my phone!

Guest Northstandhero

I've had the V5 for a month now and have no complaints,I'm still using Tillaz's Custom Rom in fact this is probably the longest I've had a single Rom on since the old Swedish Spring Rom back on the San Fran years ago.

Guest blaster99999

I think I was one of the first to get there v5 and the phone still is very impressive , OK there is a few niggles is GPS a little weak but for the price its still well worth it

Guest bryfly

I think I was one of the first to get there v5 and the phone still is very impressive , OK there is a few niggles is GPS a little weak but for the price its still well worth it

+1

Also now I we are used to 5" phone do not think we would be happy going back to a smaller one.....

Edited by bryfly

Guest blaster99999

I love the 5 inch screen and for internet browsing its superb , only thing I find hard is one hand texting , but I can almost do it just, I might be interested in a 4.7 inch screen if the phone was easier to text with, but wouldn't go any smaller , I find daughters 4 inch y300 just too small , so answer is yes would keep the 5 inch

Guest trashbat

the only problem i have is white blobs that have appeared on the screen (noticeable on a white background) its not a major problem i just hope it doesnt get any worse

GPS is fine , as with all other V5's the compass always points north.

So it does not suffer the problem of the drifting blue arrow/dot in google maps ? One of the reasons I did not buy the V5 was most people said that they GPS was an issue, I bought an Mlais MX58 Air (as someone had said that the PRO version had no issues), instead of the Vowney. I thought all the MT6589 phones suffered the same problem.

Guest Northstandhero

It seems pretty solid, but saying that i don't use the sat nav facilities, but it picks up my location ok for Google now and my weather apps.

It seems pretty solid, but saying that i don't use the sat nav facilities, but it picks up my location ok for Google now and my weather apps.

Ah, that explains it alright, it picks up an approximate location, good enough for Google and weather apps etc., but not much use for SatNav functions.