Would you buy the v5 again?

Guest trashbat

Guest Northstandhero

I've tried the gps using the app my tracks, and it managed to pick up most of my 6 mile commute to work on the Vespa although it thought i did part of the journey through a field !

I've tried the gps using the app my tracks, and it managed to pick up most of my 6 mile commute to work on the Vespa although it thought i did part of the journey through a field !

That sounds about right, not bad on a motorway etc., but once you get into a built up area, it does not know which street you are on, so directions can be somewhat interesting!!

Guest aliaird

So am I the first to have a cracked screen?!

My daughter just dropped it on a tile floor!

Any ideas anyone on difficulty or otherwise of replacing the screen? It's it a simple job or one that is best left to the experts?

Guest Rico_89

So am I the first to have a cracked screen?!

My daughter just dropped it on a tile floor!

Any ideas anyone on difficulty or otherwise of replacing the screen? It's it a simple job or one that is best left to the experts?

I’ve seen videos of people replacing smart phone screens on youtube and although it does look tricky it should still be quite doable, however the first thing to do would be to source a new screen for the V5. I couldn’t find any on eBay so I guess the next step would be to find out if any Chinese online retailer would sell you one and if not then find out how much they would charge for replacing it, then factor in shipping and see if it’s actually worth it.

Guest allanmac

I think it's probably a big job. :(

You can see a partial teardown of the V5 here. (you need to make a Vowney account in order to see the jpegs)

They don't show the LCD being separated from the frame but I think a lot of the time it requires use of a heat gun to loosen the glue.

It would be epic if you could figure out where to get the parts though. Someone local to you who repairs iPhones could probably handle the job if a replacement panel could be found.

Perhaps you should take a vacation to Hong Kong and then spend a day in Shenzhen (kidding!)... or you could probably ask the vendor to figure out who to send it back to.

Edited by allanmac

Guest elsita

I already have a thl w200 replacing the v5, 10 more dollars paid and I get back case cover, extra battery and 2 screen protectors, turbo micro processor and 8GB internal sd

everything works perfect, I cannot see why anybody should buy this vowney.. only otg added, but at the cost of having worse materials and functioning

Edited by elsita

Guest Dan Mullen

I already have a thl w200 replacing the v5, 10 more dollars paid and I get back case cover, extra battery and 2 screen protectors, turbo micro processor and 8GB internal sd

everything works perfect, I cannot see why anybody should buy this vowney.. only otg added, but at the cost of having worse materials and functioning

Apart from the non-functional compass, I'm over the moon with my V5. Is the compass OK on the W200?

Guest Sere83

No I wouldn't buy this phone again unfortunately. My GPS does not work at all and there are now some wierd what look like light pressure spots on the screen, not very noticable but annoying still. Personally I would go for a bigger manufacturer over the V5, with better firmware support and bug fixing.

Guest elsita

Apart from the non-functional compass, I'm over the moon with my V5. Is the compass OK on the W200?

yes, it does, it comes even with a compass widget preinstalled

Does GPS/SatNav work perfectly ??

yes, perfect, less than 20 seconds for first time fix of the sattelites, I put thl w200 and caesar h7500+ side by side with same inclination and orientation, and w200 fixes satelites faster, precision is also better, about 1 or 2 meter more precise

I have extendedly tested caesar gps and it is quite good, but w200 seems to be even better

Guest elsita

No I wouldn't buy this phone again unfortunately. My GPS does not work at all and there are now some wierd what look like light pressure spots on the screen, not very noticable but annoying still. Personally I would go for a bigger manufacturer over the V5, with better firmware support and bug fixing.

I think components and build quality of this phone are terrible, I had those white spots from day zero and turned it back to china

Edited by elsita

yes, perfect, less than 20 seconds for first time fix of the sattelites,

I have extendedly tested caesar gps and it is quite good, but w200 seems to be even better

but can you actually use it as a SatNav for driving for instance, the first fix time is not really an issue, but when you start moving in a built up area is it any use for navigation purposes.

I bought an external bluetooth GPS unit to use with my Mlais MX58 Air as the sat-nav was atrocious, am still waiting on it to be delivered but am hoping to be able to use that with the Mlais for sat nav functions.

Guest elsita

but can you actually use it as a SatNav for driving for instance, the first fix time is not really an issue, but when you start moving in a built up area is it any use for navigation purposes.

I bought an external bluetooth GPS unit to use with my Mlais MX58 Air as the sat-nav was atrocious, am still waiting on it to be delivered but am hoping to be able to use that with the Mlais for sat nav functions.

I have used my mobile for navigation in big cities and it worked very good, if this mobile is more precise and quicker to fix position, it is crystal clear to me that it would work better in any situation

yes, perfect, less than 20 seconds for first time fix of the sattelites,

I have used my mobile for navigation in big cities and it worked very good, if this mobile is more precise and quicker to fix position, it is crystal clear to me that it would work better in any situation

Thanks for that, it was just in your previous post you only mentioned time to 'first fix' so I thought it was likely to have the same issue as the other MTK chip phones, where you can get the first fix fairly ok, but once you start moving it loses the 'lock' and does not know where you are.

Guest nsmacd1

Just cracked the screen on my V5 - Anyone found anywhere to get a replacement or can recommend a better(similar priced) phone to upgrade too?

I am looking at the same sized screen and similar or better spec

Guest nsmacd1

Any recommendations on where to get it from or any issues you have found with the phone as I am considering this as an upgrade for my broken V5?

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest pelelademadera
Just cracked the screen on my V5 - Anyone found anywhere to get a replacement or can recommend a better(similar priced) phone to upgrade too?

I am looking at the same sized screen and similar or better spec

do you open the phone??? Can you post photos of the electronics inside????

Thans so much

Guest nsmacd1

do you open the phone??? Can you post photos of the electronics inside????

Thans so much

The phone has a screen protector holding the glass in place & the touchscreen etc still works, but it is just annoying to have a 'spiders web' crack

Guest pelelademadera

The phone has a screen protector holding the glass in place & the touchscreen etc still works, but it is just annoying to have a 'spiders web' crack

Opun it...;););)

• 3 weeks later...