Question about MAC address

Guest Billy323

Guest Billy323

Hi

Both myself and my daughter have G300s and i have noticed that we both have the same MAC address, is this normal and i belive it is causing some wifi instability when we both try to use it.

We are both using Slim ics rom heavily customised with emotion ui elements. I had my phone first and i took the rom from my phone and put onto hers using TWRP. Shouldn't the mac be written into the hardware so changing roms should not effect it should it.

If someone can help i would be greatful

Guest george109
Yes did a back up with 5irom, does this back up MAC address also ?
I think so, you should try to restore it and see of that makes any difference. Have you unlocked your bootloader?

Guest Billy323

Yes bootloaders are unlocked using the eplained like you are 5 method on this forum. Restoring IMEI back up did not change MAC address, could it be that Huawei saved money by giving all g300s the same MAC?. If i flashed a different rom would it change it? Is there anyway to change it through the build prop or with a script

Edited by Billy323

Guest george109
Yes bootloaders are unlocked using the eplained like you are 5 method on this forum. Restoring IMEI back up did not change MAC address, could it be that Huawei saved money by giving all g300s the same MAC?. If I flashed a different rom would it change it? Is there anyway to change it through the build prop or with a script
Please, unlock both of your bootloaders officially, as the "explained like you're 5" bootloader unlock is a hack that can cause problems. You can find the tutorial in my signature.

Anyway, let's put your theory to the test! :)

What are your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth MAC addresses? Also, are the serial numbers and IMEIs the same?

You can find this by turning on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and then going settings, about phone and then status.

Guest hippy dave

It might be the rom, not all Roms report the MAC address correctly. Try taking a nandroid backup and installing a different rom on one, to see if the address changes

Guest Billy323

Ok well i dont have access to my daughters phone at the moment so cant comment of blutooth MAC but i know serial numbers and IMEI numbers are different.

I have just submitted the form for the unlock code as in George's post and had to remove battery to get the serial number because the one shown on the phone was only 12 digits. I noticed the MAC address on the label is different to whats displaying on my phone. Once i have the unlock code from Huawei i will run through the unlock and see if it makes any difference.

Guest george109
It might be the rom, not all Roms report the MAC address correctly. Try taking a nandroid backup and installing a different rom on one, to see if the address changes
But isn't slim ROM is stock based, so shouldn't it report the numbers correctly?:blink: Edited by george109

Guest Billy323

Ok so followed the unlock procedures all went well. I checked the MAC address whilst i was on stock b952 and it displayed correctly (same as whats on the sticker under battery). Upon restoring my rom checked again and it had reverted to what it was before. Im stumpped as to why this is, its obviously not the bootloader hack. i am going to go through the rom with a fine tooth comb to see what is causing it. It seems to be a default android MAC address.

Well i have found 2 files in system/wifi they are "nvram_4330_MSM7627A_C8812" and "nvram_4330", both have my shown mac address in them, i have eddited the addresses in the files and this has changed my shown mac both on my phone and at my router and everything still works. This has cured the problem of my mac being the same as my daughters. I can only assume this is some kind of default android mac as the same files are present in stock roms. I guess the system falls back on this if it cannot read real devices mac.

Edited by Billy323

Guest sharkyo01

Ok so followed the unlock procedures all went well. I checked the MAC address whilst i was on stock b952 and it displayed correctly (same as whats on the sticker under battery). Upon restoring my rom checked again and it had reverted to what it was before. Im stumpped as to why this is, its obviously not the bootloader hack. i am going to go through the rom with a fine tooth comb to see what is causing it. It seems to be a default android MAC address.

Well i have found 2 files in system/wifi they are "nvram_4330_MSM7627A_C8812" and "nvram_4330", both have my shown mac address in them, i have eddited the addresses in the files and this has changed my shown mac both on my phone and at my router and everything still works. This has cured the problem of my mac being the same as my daughters. I can only assume this is some kind of default android mac as the same files are present in stock roms. I guess the system falls back on this if it cannot read real devices mac.

That is a temp fix to the problem when you restart the phone it will revert back to what ever it was before.

Also the unlock procedure if I think your talking about the one which uses dfs tool is well known for changing Wifi addresses and S/N. Did you use this unlock procedure for both phones?

Guest Billy323

Now I have phone offically unlocked and was careful not to restore hacked boot and still wifi mac was changed so that is not the case it must be something to do with the Rom.

Also your other point is also invalid as it stays he same as what i have changed it to even if i wipe cache and dalvik.

Guest george109

Now I have phone offically unlocked and was careful not to restore hacked boot and still wifi mac was changed so that is not the case it must be something to do with the Rom.

Also your other point is also invalid as it stays he same as what i have changed it to even if i wipe cache and dalvik.

If you change ROMS though, you must do this as otherwise your MAC addresses will change back to the duplicate one.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thomasl152

Thank you very much - editing these two files worked for me and stayed on reboot! I tried other methods to no avail.