There are many one give up skate?

Guest 24413362

Guest omegavesko

Hello!

Yeah, many people are upgrading from the Skate now as it's quite an old phone and it wasn't really powerful to begin with.I'm saving up for a new phone myself.

Development is pretty much dead.

I'll be releasing my next ROM and then that's it for me with the Skate. I need something with more power and it has to receive Android updates when they're available, so I'll probably get a Nexus 4 or similar by the end of the year.

If thats out in a few months then I'd even get that if it's as well priced as the Nexus 4. And I know I could get an even more powerful phone, but when you get a device like the Nexus you know it'll be future proof for a while and that it'll have excellent community support.

If I hadn't of announced a ROM for the Skate some months ago I probably would of already made the switch. Like I really love to try to speed up Gingerbread and make it look better than stock, but I'd love a buttery smooth and powerful phone that I can develop apps on even more.

Guest omegavesko

I should have a budget of around $200 by Christmas. I think that should get me a relatively decent second-hand phone. An advantage of buying second-hand is that I can basically upgrade whenever I have the money.

Guest plegdroid

Got to recommend the N4, the difference between the skate and the Nexus is light years apart. Anyone saving for a new phone, it's worth the extra saving and waiting for. :)

Guest omegavesko

Got to recommend the N4, the difference between the skate and the Nexus is light years apart. Anyone saving for a new phone, it's worth the extra saving and waiting for. :)

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to afford it. My income is about 10€ per month along with odd jobs here and there, so it would take ages to make the 300€ or so people are charging for the N4. Thankfully, buying second-hand allows me to buy something like a Galaxy S2 first, and then I can upgrade to an N4 or something else when I've got the money for that.

Guest plegdroid

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to afford it. My income is about 10€ per month along with odd jobs here and there, so it would take ages to make the 300€ or so people are charging for the N4. Thankfully, buying second-hand allows me to buy something like a Galaxy S2 first, and then I can upgrade to an N4 or something else when I've got the money for that.

Evening Matey, my bad, my mental picture of your self must have been well off (in a none offensive way O:) )

yam given your circumstances, an S2 wouldn't be a bad choice. Still got a active community, and again the difference between that and the skate, is still considerably vast :)

Edited by plegdroid

Guest omegavesko

Evening Matey, my bad, my mental picture of your self must have been well off (in a none offensive way O:) )

yam given your circumstances, an S2 wouldn't be a bad choice. Still got a active community, and again the difference between that and the skate, is still considerably vast :)

Yeah, the dev community is exactly why I'm considering it. I'd be going for the Galaxy Nexus instead if it wasn't 50€ more expensive (on average) for basically the same hardware - I'm assuming that's because it was harder to get here than the S2.

I'm still open to suggestions, but so far the S2 seems like the best phone in my price range. The S3 is going down in price pretty quickly, but I doubt it'll even be under 200€ by then. Maybe that's going to be my next upgrade. =P

Guest sui785

Yeah, the dev community is exactly why I'm considering it. I'd be going for the Galaxy Nexus instead if it wasn't 50€ more expensive (on average) for basically the same hardware - I'm assuming that's because it was harder to get here than the S2.

I'm still open to suggestions, but so far the S2 seems like the best phone in my price range. The S3 is going down in price pretty quickly, but I doubt it'll even be under 200€ by then. Maybe that's going to be my next upgrade. =P

I upgraded from Skate to Galaxy Nexus last year and the difference is big. If you're a gamer then I would recommend S2, if not then GNex is better(you also get Android 4.3 which is buttery).

Guest omegavesko

I upgraded from Skate to Galaxy Nexus last year and the difference is big. If you're a gamer then I would recommend S2, if not then GNex is better(you also get Android 4.3 which is buttery).

Yeah, that's why I initially wanted to get a Galaxy Nexus instead. Unfortunately they seem to be quite rare here, making them too expensive. The Galaxy S2 is the best alternative.

Plus, the i9100 already has a somewhat stable 4.3 ROM (SuperNexus). I'm expecting 4.3 ROMs to be perfectly stable by the time I get one - which will probably be a few months from now.

Guest Belgrade style

I'm upgraded from Skate to Note 2 few months ago and the difference is really, really big. I don't have to think about nothing, everything working.

Guest omegavesko
I'm upgraded from Skate to Note 2 few months ago and the difference is really, really big. I don't have to think about nothing, everything working.

Hah, I can imagine. Have you used the stylus much?

Guest Belgrade style

I'm using it but not too much. Pen is a great thing for writing something fast, for painting etc. Now i'm thinking to get Note 3 when he came to store :-)

Guest omegavesko

There is also the samsung galaxy s2 plus - i think its cheaper than the s2

The S2 Plus is essentially the same thing as the S2 - it even performs worse in some benchmarks.

I checked my carrier and it's way too expensive considering it's basically an updated 2011 phone. It's about as expensive as an Xperia SP, which is a much better phone. I think I'll stick with buying a regular S2.

Guest plegdroid
Heads up, the Nexus 4 Play Store price dropped about $100 today. :)

£78 reduction on a 16 gig, guys this is a viable buy now for you guys on a budget :)

Guest omegavesko

£78 reduction on a 16 gig, guys this is a viable buy now for you guys on a budget :)

Well, for those in countries the Play Store supports, anyway. I doubt this means it'll get much cheaper here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnny07mdc

Hello good to see many people still on the skate thread,

I upgrading soon and have chosen to buy second hand S2 or if i have enough the N4.

Would just like to thank everybody who has helped me on the voyage from ( orange uk to rootbox 4 )

My skate is still running good as it ever did but have noticed battery not holding charge as long ( skate 2 years old )

I had not much idea when buying skate but think everybody who bought one as there first Andriod phone

like me got the right one thanks to the great community here.

Thanks to everyone - there are to many to mention but we all know who has done at lot of hard work for our benefit

could not finish with out special thanks to plegdriod and omegavesko who have explained many things to me and

helped me now give advise to my friends.

THANKS MoDaCo -

Guest omegavesko

You're welcome, mate. :)

I know I didn't make a mistake buying the Skate last year. Originally I was going for a G300, but my local carrier store didn't have it so I just got a Skate instead, and I'm very happy I did. That said, I definitely can't wait to upgrade - the Skate has not aged very well.

Guest johnny07mdc

Have to agree mate,

my skate is 18 months old and phones have really moved on. I thought about an import but for now am going to buy second hand.

I also was going for a G300 but went with skate for its bigger screen and am very happy i did