Sky Go adds 5 devices (including Nexus 7 2013) to compatibility list

Guest Zarch1972

Guest Zarch1972

Sky have just announced the latest release of their Sky Go App (3.2) which can be downloaded from the Play Store

There's a fresher look along with some bug fixes but the real main draw of the updated release are the new devices added to the compatibility list; HTC One Mini, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, Sony Xperia SP and the new Google Nexus 7 tablet (2013).

You may not realise, but unlike the one-app-fits-all approach from the likes of Netflix, Sky custom creates the app ONLY for certain devices. Also, it does not work on rooted devices and any OS upgrade usually scuppers the app until a fix is released. As you can imagine, this approach has caused much frustration for users.

But in a surprise (and welcome) move, Sky have released this updated version of the app virtually on the Nexus 7 2013 release date. We can only hope Sky continue down this proactive road. :)

The full compatibility list now reads:

Phones

Google: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4

HTC: Desire, Desire S, Desire X, Desire HD, Incredible S, Sensation, Sensation XE, One, One Mini, One X, One XL, One S, One V and One X+

LG: LG Optimus 4X HD

Samsung: Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S3 LTE, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 Mini, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy Ace2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note2 and Galaxy Note2 LTE

Sony: Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia SP

Motorola: Motorola RAZRi, RAZR HD

Tablets

Google: Nexus 7, Nexus 7 (2013)

Samsung: Galaxy Tab2 7.0, Galaxy Tab3 7.0

Full details of the release can be found on their Support Forum

We're really keen to hear how this new release works for you, especially on the Nexus 7 2013, let us know.

30-Aug-2013_Sky-G-Collage.png

Click here to view the item

Guest artesea

Would an xposed module be able to get around the device and root restrictions for this and the other Sky Apps?

I would happily give them the £5 a month for the Sky Sports app on my GS3, but I'm not loosing root to do it.

Guest ezablade

"Sky custom creates the app ONLY for certain devices."

Back when I had Sky, and cared about what they did, the update released for one of the minor OS upgrades for the old Nexus 7 arrived AFTER Sky Go started to work on the device (it had stopped working when the OS updated). Many users reported that Sky Go had started to work without updating the app itself. In other words, the app worked fine, the only thing that appeared to be stopping it working, was a lack of an entry in a central whitelist on Sky's servers.

I eventually got so fed up of Sky and their pathetic attitude to Android users (as well as other complaints I had with them), that I ditched them altogether. OK, I don't get Sky Go, but I rarely used it anyway. Watching on a 7" screen seemed pointless when I have a 42" one to do that, and there's no way I'd pay even more to them just for the privilege of downloading onto the Nexus to watch away from the house. Live streaming over 3G would use my data allowance in no time at all, so never used it for that. Saving myself about £30 a month too, even after upgrading to fibre (another bugbear, as Sky would only deliver 40Mbps, compared to the 71Mbps I'm getting from BT, for roughly the same price).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.