TomTom for Android is 40% off for a limited time

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

The UK, Australia, USA, U.S & Canada, Western Europe and Europe versions of TomTom for Android are currently 40% off for a limited time.

We first mentioned TomTom last year. Back then we commented about the high price and the fact that the device resolutions that it would work with was limited to 800 x 480 WVGA / 854 x 480 FWVGA only.

As well as the obvious advantage of onboard maps (no data connection needed), TomTom for Android includes free lifetime updates to the map data, live 'TomTom HD Traffic' data based 'IQ Routes', Speed Camera alerts, advanced lane guidance, spoken street names, eco-routes (drive the most economical journeys), multi stop routes and much more.

Thank goodness then that it's now on sale and it now has support for up to 1920 x 1080 1080p resolution (just short of the Nexus 7 2013's 1920 x 1200 resolution, it'll be interesting to see if it works).

The full Europe maps take up 3.4GB of storage space, which will just about fit on that Nexus 4 8GB you have probably just bought (roll on 10th September eh!). The UK and Ireland maps take up 367MB of storage.

Prices start at £17.99 for USA, UK and Ireland, Australia while U.S & Canada maps come in at £24.99 and Western Europe / all of Europe will set you back £30.99 and £36.99 respectively.

Let us know in the comments if you are thinking of buying or indeed if you are an existing user!

[Via: Play Store]

tomtomsss.png

Click here to view the item

Guest paholman

I had TomTom on iOS for years and it was brilliant. Before that, used it on Windows Mobile.

I wanted the same for Android since buying HTC One but the user reviews on Play Store indicate it's very poor compared to iOS version,with constant crashes, long loading times and intermittent voice/muting issues so I declined.

CoPilot was cheaper, comes with 1 year free traffic updates, and works just fine in both US and UK as I bought both versions (US maps were £7). Plus, with CoPilot, you can buy US or European maps, but choose to install only certain States/Countries saving disk space.

Guest Matchstick

Paholman, another advantage to CoPilot is that any maps you buy on Android are also available on other platforms.

I picked up a cheap Nokia 520 as a backup phone and also to try out WP8 generally and was delighted to discover that, once I'd downloaded the free CoPilot base app and logged in, my European maps and free traffic update were available to download without any further purchase.

Guest paholman

@Matchstick, absolutely. I forgot to mention I purchased my UK maps on CoPilot via iOS, and only realised after purchasing US maps for CoPilot on Android that my UK maps were still available via the same CoPilot username I'd setup previously. (oh ok, in all honesty, I thought it was a mistake, but I kept quiet about it)

With TomTom, I've already had to buy it 3 times, twice with Windows Mobile as you could only use your activation key on x amount of phones, of which, I updated mine regularly, and once again for iOS. I don't particularly want to buy it again.

As much as I like the idea of using my phone for everything, GPS is a battery drainer, and I am tempted to buy a standalone Sat Nav unit.

Prices start at £17.99 for USA, UK and Ireland, Australia while U.S & Canada maps come in at £24.99

I see UK coming in at £24.99, not the £17.99 that the article states. (boo, hiss, etc)

Is it legal in the UK to list something as "SALE" but not the price it previously sold at? I think not...

The play store lists the sale price but not the original price

Guest Colossae3.23

Paholman, another advantage to CoPilot is that any maps you buy on Android are also available on other platforms.

I picked up a cheap Nokia 520 as a backup phone and also to try out WP8 generally and was delighted to discover that, once I'd downloaded the free CoPilot base app and logged in, my European maps and free traffic update were available to download without any further purchase.

wow...

I bought a Lumia 720 over a month ago, after having a G300. I then emailed Co-pilot to see if I could use the same maps (UK & US). They replied that the programme doesn't work cross platforms. So, I bought the extra Nokia Here add-on when it finally came out. I really like the Nokia interface much better, but there's one big flaw: you can't alter the route, at all. What app did you download? And did you use the same log in, as when you were on android?

Thanks, Bill

Guest Matchstick

wow...

I bought a Lumia 720 over a month ago, after having a G300. I then emailed Co-pilot to see if I could use the same maps (UK & US). They replied that the programme doesn't work cross platforms. So, I bought the extra Nokia Here add-on when it finally came out. I really like the Nokia interface much better, but there's one big flaw: you can't alter the route, at all. What app did you download? And did you use the same log in, as when you were on android?

Thanks, Bill

This is the app I installed.

http://www.windowsph...6b-97c44b49a20c

I then just logged in with the username and password I'd used on the Android version of the app and all my licenses were carried over - IIRC I might have needed to try logging in twice but it definitely worked

If the prices mentioned in the linked last years story is correct, then the UK maps are only 19.36% off not 40% off as the headline states.

I'm not sure if TomTom are being sneaky and changed their price after Paul posted the story, or if UK maps recently sold for £41.65 (making 40% off) instead of the £30.99 they sold for last year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.