Virgin ZTE Blade V @ £99 (inc £10 topup)

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

So as people are now starting to buy this phone as its been out over a week now...

Originally the phone was spec'd to be released at £89 Instore + £10 topup.... However prices I am seeing on their website, and what others have paid is £99 Inc £10 Topup...

So does that Inc mean you have to pay an extra £10 on top of the £99, or is that £10 included in the £99.... So the phone is still £89 (with the £10 topup automatically included in the price, to make it £99) ?

Also, seeing on HUKD, that people are paying £15.32 to get it factory unlocked on debit card, and then claiming the original £10 topup refunded.... Is this true, anyone done this?? And what do you say/ask for...??

"Excuse me, can you unlock my phone... I have my debit card ready.... Oh and when your done, can you refund my £10 topup credit as I wont be using it....??"

Hope to pick one of these up tomorrow, hopefully.... :)

Cheers, Lister

Guest seanspotatobusiness

The £100 is the total and includes the mandatory £10 credit. Ordering online attracts a an ~£8 delivery fee but this does not apply in store.

I cannot help you regarding getting the £10 credit refunded. I spent £7 of it on a month of one of their packages. I will presumably lose the other £3 when I switch to TalkTalk mobile. You can try asking them to refund it over the phone but I'd estimate a low chance of success. Good luck, in any case. When you get the £10 top up you're given a receipt with the voucher code. Perhaps you could sell it on Ebay for £7-8 and then e-mail them the code for them to use on their account.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi seanspotatobusiness,

Thank you, the above is really helpful and useful... :) Was starting to think, it was gonna cost me over £100 to get this phone... I plan to take my chances and pick one up in store tomorrow...

I shall try my luck to reclaim the £10 topup voucher over the phone too, and let people know on here how it goes... It seems a couple were lucky on HUKD... Otherwise yes, shall try sell on eBay or summit... Or just use the credit up until its gone... ;)

So whats your opinion on this phone, is it a good alrounder??

Is it fast?

Do decent games run ok on it, such as RealRacing 3?

Does the battery last well...?

Camera pictures look good?

Are there any quirks/bugs?

I had the original ZTE Blade until it died, I then had the G300 which I wasnt overly impressed with... hardware was ok, but battery seemed poor on G300 and Dev support seemed a little quiet...

Are you impressed with this phone?

Thanks, Lister

Hey. A week ago I was using the G300 which I had had for a year. My mum's phone broke so I upgraded to the ZTE Blade V and sent her my old phone. The Blade V is easily better than the G300 in terms of speed/responsiveness. The G300 sometimes used to take time to open menus/apps, while this phone does the basics seamlessly. It takes eight seconds to finish launching Skype, if that's any use as a reference (no idea how long the G300 takes).

The bugs are

1) in certain situations the brightness changes constantly (I'm not sure what triggers this; it certainly doesn't do it all the time but I've read others report the same problem in the HUKD thread).

2) the screen does not switch off automatically when you put the phone to your ear! If you put the phone to your ear, the skin can touch the call disconnected button which is obviously not desirable and needs to be addressed.

I haven't played any games on it. I tried to install RealRacing 3 but it requires 1.5 GB and I don't have the space for that. Do you have any other games to suggest that I can try? I've read that the graphics chip is outdated so I don't expect the gaming experience will be especially good but I've no experience in this area (I game only on my PC).

The camera is okay. I'm not sure how it compares with the G300 because again, this isn't something I did often. I will take some photos tomorrow and upload them.

The battery lasts a day (14-16 hours) under moderate use. I think that this could be improved by using one of those apps that changes the processor frequency but I've not rooted the phone yet. I had an extended battery for the G300 which lasted 2-3 full days of heavy use (3600 mAh) and I will definitely do the same thing if an extended battery becomes available.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi seanspotatobusiness,

Yes, I saw that you had the G300 previously, which makes it handy for comparissions... I didnt have my G300 long. Mainly because as soon as I bought my one (which was just over a week ago) I then heard about this one coming out. The G300 was a direct replacement for my original ZTE Blade which died suddenly, due to Touchscreen... Although I am looking to repair this myself now... lol

I dont know how long Skype takes to load at the best of times, not really used that App much lately, although I plan to more so when I get a front facing cam phone, such as the Blade V ;) lol

Bugs:

I have heard about this Brightness issue, and heard people playing around with a system app on board, that may have summit to do with it...

Regarding the Proximity (spelling?? lol) issue, I did see summit on ZTEDevices.co.uk website that mentioned this, and how to adjust it... So not sure if its something that can be done via a setting in the rom, or if it requires a firmware to fix it...

Interestingly enough, what firmware are you using... As I noticed on the official website a v2.0 firmware has been released, and it was like only 2x days ago... so perhaps that fixes most bugs already??

Not sure about other games as such, as I only really like Racing games... so if there is any decent graphics racing games that are able to install on the V, would be interesting to know how it performs and how much impact it has on battery...

Seeing some photos would also be good... Anything has to be better than the original Blade (3.2mp). The G300 camera was pretty cool I thought, for what it is.... I imagine the V to be similar to G300 re quality of pics...

Funny you say about the G300 and the 3600mah battery, I was so close to buying this myself... If I had the phone longer, I would of done... lol. I was a little worried that battery would explode on me though, after hearing the many issues Apple had recently with 3rd party chargers... lol

Anyway, any feedback on this phone more than welcome, although I look pretty set to just buy it anyway tomorrow...

As at the moment I am making do with an old (2006) SE K800i, which I cant hear when people call me... and I can only text a few people as ran out of space... lol. So need summit fast... lol

Cheers, Lister

Guest targetbsp

Eek! Bug number 2 is bad! :o I've not seen this mentioned on HUKD? Could it just be a faulty prox sensor in your handset? Where did you see mention of this on ZTE Lister?

I've never played Real Racing but Asphalt 8 would run OK on my i9000 if it had enough ram, ie. it's fine when it's not swapping! And the i9000 has a slighter weaker GPU and much weaker CPU than this.

Edited by targetbsp

In "about phone" in the settings menu, it says "Build number: ZTE Blade V V2.0". Does that mean I have firmware version 2?

I took some pictures with the phone yesterday. Here they are in an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/o9ORP#0

I took multiple pictures of the same thing and you can see differences in hues between some of the copies.

Regarding batteries exploding, I can vouch for my "Cameron Sino" battery not exploding even once! It performed really well. That doesn't necessarily mean all their products are as good but if they bring out an expanded battery for the Blade V, I'm getting it (and will report back)!

Edit: re: the proximity bug, I'm not certain whether this will be repeatable. I made a call today without any problem. I'll report back to the thread I made about the issue after a few days, either way.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Another ZTE device with dodgy proximity sensor? This really is a new Blade!

I have to retract my earlier suggestion that there was something wrong with the proximity sensor. It seems to be working fine. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe it was my friend who was disconnecting the call... or something else (could a network issue disconnect two calls in quick succession? I didn't call back a third time because the information exchange was essentially complete).

Guest bladebuddy

My view having the phone the past three days are, no screen changing in auto light mode no more then usual. GTA, Subway surf, Smash head, A bards tale and temple run all work fluently. Battery lasts a full day with heavy use. Key board a little to sensitive for my liking. Screen looks good but crap in sunlight. Needs rooting to get more space for apps and such. One bug so far is TV catch-up played voices to quickly. Compass works and you get a fast GPS lock. Phone feels slippery in the hand and is a similar size to the g300. The phone is rapid apps open quickly and scrolling is fast. Definitely better then both the blade 1 and 2 and the g300 all phones I have owned. Though not the best looking handset around. Pictures are taken quick and are decent video is average. Still very happy with the phone and price paid . Virgin messed up and gave me £20 pounds credit. Looking forward to unlocking and getting my giffgaff sim in. Hope this helps J.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Guys,

Was very interested in this phone, and nearly got it... Except for the Virgin shop I went into said they were NOT a Virgin shop??? And so couldnt get it that day... :(

And now afraid to say, Ive jumped ship and got me a Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (yes, its old.. but compared to my original ZTE Blade, its like premium... lol) and so very happy with my Note. Factory unlocked, and happy playing around with ROMS :D

Good luck guys, hope this turns out just as much fun as the original Blade, that still has active Dev support... :)

Cheers, Lister

Guest targetbsp

It's a fantastic bit of kit so far, the Blade V.  Here's my opinion on things after a brief play:

The boot time is incredible compared to the Blade 1 and SGS 1. Android can clearly use multiple threads whilst booting!

The next thing that stands out is how sensitive the touchscreen is. It's fantastic - you can tap away with confidence that it's going to have registered your click.

The screen is bright and clear although the weather prevents me from seeing how it handles sunlight - because there isn't any! But natural light from an overcast day doesn't cause it any problems.

It has a flashing notification LED for missed calls etc.

Music seems loud enough through the speakers and headphones and unlike the Blade 1 there is no low level hiss through headphones.

It can only be woken by the power button and none of the touch buttons. This is the same as the Blade 1 but I'd gotten used to home waking my SGS! On the subject of buttons - they are touch sensitive like most phones and they are ofc in an entirely different place to any previous phone I've owned! How hard is it to standardise the location of 3 buttons?? 

There is bloatware but nothing too bad (a weather app, a clock, amazon kindle, chrome, a file manager, an office app, a keyboard, task manager, twitter) Stuff most people would probably find useful. You can actually disable them from Androids own 'manage apps' section. This is probably an Android 4+ feature I'd never noticed so I've always had root to do that job?

3D games are a little faster than on the SGS which was itself considerably faster than the Blade 1

App switching is very fast presumably thanks to multi core and having plenty of ram.

The camera is a bit pants but it does at least have a flash this time around!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest abarthman

Available now direct from Virgin in "As New" condition for only £59.99 inc a £10 top up.

Shipping is £7.99, so it'll cost £67.98.

You can use the £10 credit towards the £15 odds unlock charge.

An unlocked Blade V in your hands for just over £73.

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/eSales/en_gb/home/virgin-media-mobile/pay-as-you-go-phones/zte-blade-v-as-new/zte-blade-v-tariffs.html