Factory Reset my Y300 - Now bricked?! Help!

Guest insurgente

Guest insurgente

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I decided to sell my British bought, rooted (and camera fixed) Huawei Ascend Y300. It's just rooted, I haven't done anything with the bootloader and I was on stock ROM (or whatever it came with)

I did a factory reset before I took it to the shop to sell..... Now it won't work.

I either get a completely black screen with no app drawer, no apps -- but with the ability to drag down from the top, read text/email notifications and use Power Toggles.

Or other times it won't boot up at all; it'll just stay on Huawei boot up screens

I tried to flash a stock Huawei ROM, but it fails on the 2/2 part, which may suggest I have to zero the IMEI first? I've got no idea what this factory reset did to my phone?!

I've heard it suggested to try and start from step 3 from this guide: http://huawei-y300.tumblr.com/post/47366836617/how-to-unlock-and-root-huawei-ascend-y300-all

Would that work? The bootloader is locked and I can't apply for a code as I can't get the product ID

at the moment it looks like I've chucked money away by doing a damn factory reset

thanks!

Guest Clarkiieh

Your phones corrupt. You used the unofficial xda website way to unlock your phone using the force update of the Chinese update.app didn't you? I did the same thing mate and this happened to me.. The best thing you can try do is download a launcher place it on the root of the SD card via a PC, then push it to system/apps then try get the phone to boot then unlock boot loader and flash a new firmware (Tillaz) this is how I fixed mine but it depends on how far the corruption has spread into the phone

Guest insurgente

thanks for the reply mate

to be honest, I had no interest in unlocking the bootloader (partially for this reason). I was happy on the stock ROM...didnt want to mess with it!

however, since it screwed up after a factory reset, I did try and reinstall the firmware with this: http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDcxNDI=

bad move?

so I could try any launcher? Nova? Had that on the Y300 before.... any tips on doing that with the launcher? I just find an .apk and put it in root?

so i'd have to unlock the boot loader somehow? how can I do that if I cant the product ID (as I cant get to the dialpad)?

Phone was fine... I factory reset, then dropped it off at CeX.... they give it back to me and it's in this shape. so no idea if it was something I did or not

Guest Clarkiieh

So what are the chances of your phone running ATM? How many times does it come on out of how many times you reset the phone?

You will need the adb tool kit to push apex into system apps.

Although you may be lucky and when the phone boot it may pop up saying Google updates are available thus letting you into the play store when you click on the through the drop down menu, so you could be able to download it that way and press the home key and it should give you the option to use apex.

I don't think the phone is bricked cause if it was you wouldn't even have the chance to get the phone to fully boot. Try factory resetting through the recovery on the phone? Its power and volume up at the same time, try that

Guest insurgente

maybe i was overconfident...it's completely switched on (a black screen, no apps/drawer) maybe 2 times out of 15...

will i be able install the adb tool kit like this?

CeX told me "it said google updates were available...then they never downloaded" so that ship may have sailed

I did factory reset through recovery... that got me worried it was a bad move as well. but there's no improvement. Can I flash a ROM from recovery? (without having an unlocked bootloader)

i'll have another crack at this after work tomorrow, thanks

Guest Clarkiieh

No, don't try flash a ROM you will badword the phone totally mate, so you know it has fully booted cause you van pull the notification bar down?..

Okay so I think I know what's going on here :L

You rooted the phone by flashing that update app off the xda website and using the computer program to run the root tool?

By any chance did you delete the stock Huawei stock launcher? Are use nova instead?

Well if this is true, the phones fine.. You delete the default launcher and now the phone doesn't have one to boot up, with you doing a factory reset you removed it cause it wasn't in the system apps! You need to Google how to use ADB to push a App file into the system apps on android ... I'll have a look now. DW this can be fixed I just hope you say what im saying now is true

Guest insurgente

No, don't try flash a ROM you will badword the phone totally mate,

oops, so no trying to install the stock ROM 'update.app' by holding Volume Up & Down & Power?

so you know it has fully booted cause you van pull the notification bar down?..

yea that was happening previously.

You rooted the phone by flashing that update app off the xda website and using the computer program to run the root tool?

yea that sounds about right

By any chance did you delete the stock Huawei stock launcher? Are use nova instead?

I just installed Nova over the top...didnt delete the stock launcher..... unless... using Link2SD i ended up deleting the Stock Launcher, stupidly :/

You delete the default launcher and now the phone doesn't have one to boot up, with you doing a factory reset you removed it cause it wasn't in the system apps

ah right :/. default launcher isnt in the system apps? I thought it would all be bundled again by Huawei...oops

You need to Google how to use ADB to push a App file into the system apps on android

yea i'll def look in to that...what you're saying certainly sounds accurate! cheers

Guest Clarkiieh

OK I have another theory from the post I made, get the phone to boot. Go the Google play market on your computer, and download apex. It will send the order for your phone to instantly start downloading it. I'll give you the link now

Guest Clarkiieh

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dgoogle+play+store+apex+launcher

Go to that on your computer, select to download it on the huawei Y300 make sure the phone turned on it gets the order from the play store, does your phone charge still when off?

Guest insurgente

that would be perfect but my phone is now not booting up fast the Huawei 'flower' screen

it bleeps on the flower screen...not heard that before. unless the battery is nearly dying

I think looking at ADB may be the way forward

Guest Clarkiieh

Sounds to me your phone 'is theoretically booting up but with there being no launcher for the phone to boot next it gets confused to put it in understanding terms so therefore it stick to the 'shell' screen, I'm only thinking this cause you said the phones beeping? When my phone beeps and I have booted with low battery, I get a beep (the same sound indicating battery has dropped below %20) like a split second before it fully boots into the launcher. You see its tricky now cause your boot loader isn't unlocked is it? :/ adb won't work, you tired blaming CeX for it? ;)

Guest insurgente

arrghhhh :(... yea no bootloader

yea in my mind I dropped off a working phone and got returned a busted phone.... but I didn't push CeX too hard; maybe that ship has sailed too. damn

Guest Voxpop2011

arrghhhh :(... yea no bootloader

yea in my mind I dropped off a working phone and got returned a busted phone.... but I didn't push CeX too hard; maybe that ship has sailed too. damn

CeX is an absolutely abysmal company. I would only sell to them and certainly wouldn't buy or let them 'mess' with my phone. You cannot now prove that they broke your phone and they would have flat out denied it in any event.

Guest insurgente

Have you tried the ordering of the play store to download the launcher? Don't vodaphone push updates to your phone? Can't you ask them to reflash there firmware ?

yea tried downloading Nova from the Play store on my app...but as my phone won't boot up at all, not sure where to go from here

is there any firmware I can flash to the phone?

No idea...maybe CeX reset it again and knackered it... i shouldnt have bothered! should've just logged out of my accounts. my bad

I'm sure CeX will deny it, or do nothing about it now.... or I signed something that absolves them of responsibility

Dunno about Vodafone; I bought this unlocked from Carphone Warehouse.

Edited by insurgente

Guest insurgente

ok so leaving it booting up all night, i woke u and it was back to the black screen with taskbar. Nova Launcher has not automatically downloaded :/

If I go to Settings - Manage Apps, I can see Play Store in there. Any way to open it without an app drawer? Or to somehow run the .apk of a launcher off the SD card, despite me not having file manager?

Guest insurgente

progress! Clark (and everyone else)... you're a genius. thanks!

so from 'black mode' I logged in to my Wi-Fi (as it's just got some rubbish old SIM in it...dont want to turn it off again.). Logged in to my Google account (foolishly didnt do that before) and some 'app updates' popped up.... dragging those down, I entered the Play Store and managed to download Nova Launcher

So it's looking good and functional right now :D. Anyway to download the original Huawei Launcher? Or to prevent this happening again? Now I just need to log out of my Google account and sell it...... No way I dare doing another factory reset

I want to sell it at CeX, but will it be enough to use it in front of them, to PROVE it works before they test it and somehow destroy it again?

Guest Voxpop2011
No way I dare doing another factory reset

I want to sell it at CeX, but will it be enough to use it in front of them, to PROVE it works before they test it and somehow destroy it again?

CeX will require you to leave it for testing.  Don't say ANYTHING and you might get away with it.  Despite testing, CeX bought two phones from me, one of which was rooted and the other had broken wi-fi and MAC addresses.

Guest insurgente

I'm sure I've left a rooted phone (with custom ROM) with Cex before and they offered to buy it. Just I got a better deal on ebay so turned it down

I'm more concerned they'll test it again and return it to me broken