Tesco unveil the £119 Hudl - a low cost, Archos built tablet

Guest Simon O

Guest Longfellow78

Hi,

I picked one up this morning as well as screen protector and the leather case and so far am extremely happy with the purchase. It seems very well made and great screen, very very happy. Got Whatsapp working by the workaround and sorting our my launcher to hide the Tesco crap. I can't wait for a root to get rid of the bloatware. But so far so excellent!

edit: thanks flibble as below.

Have notice a tiny annoyance (for me) which is that the charge/usb port is on the bottom which means you cant stand the tablet up on its flip case and charge at the same time. Oh well. Still awesome!

Edited by Longfellow78

Hi,

I picked one up this morning as well as screen protector and the leather case and so far am extremely happy with the purchase. It seems very well made and great screen, very very happy. Got Whatsapp working by the workaround and sorting our my launcher to hide the Tesco crap. I can't wait for a root to get rid of the bloatware. But so far so excellent!

Settings > Apps > ALL

Find tesco apps, tap one, tap Disable. Go back to list, tap the next one, Disable. Repeat until you have disabled all the apps you do not want. Turn off the tablet then turn it back on again. Tesco apps will be disabled, prevented from running, taking up memory etc. They will still remain on system so you will still be able to update the tablet when updates are made available. I advise not to delete the system apps from the device that you don't want to use. You'll get no extra benefit, the system won't run any quicker and all you'll do is break the device so it'll no longer be able to get updates.

Guest theflapjackking

I got one this morning. Changed the launcher to nova. I was clicking the model number and the factory quality test app popped up which was interesting especially when the loudspeaker test started reading out Chinese :)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi,

What workaround is that?

P

Guest Longfellow78

Hi,

If you try and download from market it will say incompatible with tablets so download the Whatsapp APK file from http://www.whatsapp.com/android/

Then install. When it asks for your mobile number, use your mobile, (or if it doesn't work, another phone that doesn't have whatsapp installed) then enter the code on the mobile on whats app. sometimes it will not work with a text so use the "call me" option and you get an automated call. Enter the code and voila, you have whatsapp on your Hudl!

What workaround is that?

P

Guest Longfellow78

Ah, but you can still only have it installed on one device then...

P

Yes, with the same whatsapp account that's right, but could use a different one. You can use a contacts manager such as "Go" to save the contacts so it doesn't conflict with google contacts.

Have also realised that the usb/power socket in the bottom also hinders plugged in keyboards, memory sticks, and game controllers, while the tablet is standing up, a bit annoying that.

edit: just found online there is a way to do it if you have rooted your device, it is called "2 lines for whatsapp"

Edited by Longfellow78

Guest JohnnyZTE

Hi all, just got this for someone, not for me but they asked me to install various programes.

it runs Antutu benchmark with some good marks 18759 just a smidgen behind the Google Nexus 10 and that's probably because of all the Tesco crap installed on it. I have to say Im well impressed with this device. It plays BBCi player beautifully ..

Can someone please post some bad reviews of this so I don't end up buying one? Much appreciated!

It's by Tesco. Some people dislike Tesco for being all corporate and stuff lol

Guest Lister Of Smeg

LOL, fair point...

Even though this looks like a great device, and no doubt I'll end up with a couple (as presents for family, all chipping in an like) and no doubt will get one for myself eventually...

I have previous history with Tesco's, in that I have had 3x TVs from them, all had failures within the first year... Well, within the first 7x months actually.... And Tesco's refused to believe me, play ball and actually support the customer (who is assumed, always right)...

It took to me, to write my complaints about Tesco's on the net, link some screenshots and videos of the faults and then send Tesco HQ a letter pointing to my internet posts with evidence. I soon got a reply, and a refund.... If only they listened to me in the first place and didnt make me chase through hoops and telling me I was wrong...

So from now on, will be very wary of Tesco's electronic goods... but sadly, this Tablet looks to tempting... ;) :D

Guest Frankish

It's rubbish.

P

PS It's not bad actually... :P

Oh Paul come on surely a guy with your device experience could pick some faults out to put me off?

I work for a small supermarket company owned by Wal-Mart... :)

Guest glossywhite

Most corporations tend to be "all corporate" :p

People just like to whine - I've done my fair share at times - it's the coward's way out of a just, balanced debate.

Guest rferrett

For a moment reading the comments thread I got excited that I could have Whatsapp on my wifi tablet. Boo.

Mind you I have to say I am quite tempted by the Hudl just for a play.

Guest Longfellow78

For a moment reading the comments thread I got excited that I could have Whatsapp on my wifi tablet. Boo.

Mind you I have to say I am quite tempted by the Hudl just for a play.

Hi,

I have had a play with this and you can indeed have Whatsapp on both your phone and tablet, but have to set up 2 accounts.

so you follow the process as already outlined, but when you use a phone to register, use a non-android phone, or a phone without whatsapp installed. Then wait for the times if you get no text and click call me. I used my work blackberry to enter the code and whatsapp is now installed on my hudl and my galaxy note. I have called my hudl Whatsapp account a different name, It's not ideal, but it's a pretty good compromise for such a vital piece of software.

Guest jusumgeezer

They use to give it away with phone contracts too. By all accounts their broadband is piss poor, do a search for tesco broadband & see how many complaints there are, my mum tried signing up for it & the earliest install date was 4 months away & during that whole time she had no contact whatsoever. Luckily she went on line & read the tesco forums. Looks like they bought out ntl which had poor reviews & rebranded it. aparently the service is appaling & customer service/tech support is non existant, if you do manage to speak to someone they just blame it the customer having faulty computer etc.

I also heard some time ago that they don't have an acutal broadband dept. & it is run by the mobile dept. instead who know nothing about broadband.

Anyways after reading all that she decided to cancel & stick with BT who did her a better deal.

Guest everett_psycho

Sounds like their shops then, weird though as I only had very good experiences with tesco mobile, I'd go as far as saying they were the best network I've ever dealt with. It would be fine as a backup service if you were using mobile broadband around the home

Guest glossywhite

Just bought mine, last night. Brilliant device! How anyone can moan about it for £119, is beyond belief. Thank you to Paul for working hard on root - all rooted and booted! :D

Thanks, adios.

Guest hoopy1888

HI folks, new to the forum... I too have a Hudl. Was just on a whim as I could get it cheap through clubcard voucher thing. Very impressed. 

I do need to root it however. Any news on that? I don't want to break it