• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

storage space problem

5 posts in this topic

Posted

playstore can't even update small app like antutu and reports insufficient storage space, yet I have 35.8M internal free and over a gig on the external sd card. Anyone any ideas?

Ok I have just over 100 apps installed, but in past I've had more without problem.

Posted (edited)

Don't parts of apps get installed in "system" folders that are not on internal or external sdcard storage? I think (parts of?) system apps go into /system/apps and (parts of?) user apps go into /data/apps. These partitions are often small enough - e.g. on my Stock+ ROM /system is 377MB and /data is 755MB. I suspect that you have exhausted storage such as this and may need to move some apps to internal sd card or external sd card storage. Android's built in options for this may work or you may need something like link2sd or link2int (http://www.modaco.com/topic/359125-mod-link2int-v11-use-2gb-internal-as-app-storage-tested-with-cm9cm10cm101-0312/) (same as link2sd except that it uses the G300's otherwise unused 2GB internal sdcard storage partition).

Hope this helps and I am open to correction by anybody more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am...

Edit: maybe this article will help clarify the storage arrangements on Androind (GB v ICS+) assuming it's more or less correct...?

http://beranger.org/2013/06/14/android-storage-what-nobody-bothered-to-tell-you/

Edited by dalyer

Posted

Clear the cache of these applications before updating.

Posted

Go to Settings > Apps > Running - any apps or services you're trying to update, Stop them, then go to

Show Cached Processes, most all of these can be Stopped.

Go to Settings > Apps > Downloaded - any apps you're trying to update, Clear data, and Clear cache.

35.8M free is no useful free space, depending on how the wear levelling firmware handles it, that number doesn't tell you the size of the largest fragment of free space. The upgrade process needs room to download a zipped file, room to unpack it, then the new parts ore copied across into the apps directory, and finally the download and temp unzip are purged.

How big is your SD? 1G is not much spare room on a 32G card. But if you have only a 4G card then, yeah it's only three quarters full. 

Go to Settings > Apps > Downloaded and for as many as you dare select Move to SDcard.

NB these instructions  are for ICS. For GB I've forgotten, but you'll have to use link2sd

Posted

Don't parts of apps get installed in "system" folders that are not on internal or external sdcard storage?

No!! Some app information is stored in /data. You will still need at least 50MB free on /data to install more apps to get app space

On *MOST* ROMs, apps are stored to the internal memory anyway. You will still need internal space to install and update apps.