Android unable to connect to my Wi-Fi network - Windows can

Guest kkid106

I am in university halls of residence. I have setup a Wi-Fi hotspot in my room using a generic router by connecting from the ethernet out port in the wall to a ethernet LAN port and disabling DHCP on the router.

This works perfectly for my Windows 7 laptop. It connects to the router and then to the uni internet without issues. However, although my Samsung Galaxy S3 (International i9300) can detect the network, if I just try to connect to the network as I would any other it gets stuck when obtaining an IP address. After messing around with it for a bit i found that I could get the phone to connect by going into the advanced settings and choosing "static" instead of "DCHP". I don't know what I was really meant to enter for IP Address, gateway, subnet, DNS 1 and DNS 2.

The router has the IP of 192.168.1.1 when i connect it directly to my laptop via ethernet so I tried that as the gateway, I set the IP address to something like 192.168.1.14 (So that it was similar but different), I set the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the DNS servers I used google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). This got me connected to the router but there doesn't appear to be any internet connection.

I therefore thought that I had entered wrong information for the network (I was only guessing after all). Therefore I went into ipconfig in Windows and copied the default gateway and DNS servers and used a similar IP address (Last number different). I had the same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I only want Wi-Fi in my room for mobile.

• 4 weeks later...