• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to install custom rom

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok guys. Her I am, new to rooting, and custom roms and all that stuff.

I am searching here for hours, and I can not find a simple fool proof HowTo, how to flash a custom rom.

I own a ascend y300. I find Howto's everywhere how to root my phone. So I did that already. I now have an unlocked bootloader, and rooted device. Then I find custom Roms here, and downloaded a zip file.

And now?????

I can not find a descent manual how to flash a custom rom, or am I stupid?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Edited by satrich

Posted · Report post

First mate you have to flash a custom recovery , see TWRP on first page for example , or CWM (clockworkmod). After that you just keep pressed together power button and volume+ restarting your phone until the recovery appears. You select install zip from sd-card and that`s it . Be careful though that you lose saved stuff and most of the time as far as i know you have to wipe data/cache/dalvik before flashing. Good luck.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the reply....

But sorry, this is all abacadabra for me.

I followed This guide: http://huawei-y300.tumblr.com/post/47366836617/how-to-unlock-and-root-huawei-ascend-y300-all

That all worked ok.

Now I like to install a custom rom. But how?

I don't want to run onto problems, so how to back-up my original rom? And then how to install the new one?

1. You take this : http://www.modaco.com/topic/362074-recoveryall-official-twrp-2600-root-09072013/

It has tuturial inside. Basically you download the Y300 version, you unzip it in a folder , you power off your phone , you power it on by holding power button + volume- until you get stuck at huawei logo for an abnormally long time (it`s possible you will have to pull out the battery prior to turning on the phone after turning it off because fast boot option keeps your phone activated somehow). Then you connect the phone through usb to pc (take phone drivers or let them install by themselves prior to this) and you double click the .bat file inside the folder , after that the phone should reboot itself and you should have Team Win Recovery Project (custom recovery)

2. To get into the recovery , you hold power button + volume+ together until recovery pops up. Here you can backup your curent rom by simply clicking `backup` option. Don`t ask me about this , i never backed up anything before flashing a new rom so i don`t know more.

3. Do the wipes . You have a wipe function in TWRP that wipes all that`s needed , this includes apps and settings and stuff , but not sd-card and such. You don`t need to wipe that.

4. Flash rom , reboot. Hope i helped ... and hope i didn`t miss anything , somebody correct me if i`m wrong :D

EDIT : Oh , now i saw the tutorial that you used . Well if you used that and you already have a custom recovery you can skip number 1. It`s the same procedure for ClockWorkMod (CWM) if you have that instead of TWRP.

Edited by bogdanwp

Ok Thanks. 

One question about step 4.

Is Flash Rom the same as ' Install'  in TWRP?

So what I do is copy the ROM.zip file onto my SD-card, and select Install from TWRP, and then select the Zip file?

Edited by satrich

Posted · Report post

Yes

Posted · Report post

Ok. This worked. Thanks a lot for your help..

I am looking at a brandnew looking Huawei y300 right now.

Posted · Report post

No problem , anytime :D have fun

Posted · Report post

Would it be exactly the same for the g510 as well?

Also The phone I got was subsdisized by my carrier (vodafone nz) so is network locked and requires me having to pay to get it unlocked if I want to use it on another network/overseas which I'm planning on doing.

Question - A: would installing a custom rom take away the network lock or is it even possible to install a custom rom while it's still locked?

B: Could I install the custom rom and still get it unlocked afterwards from my network?

TIA