How to root your Hudl [updated: latest supported ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

I think they say the max is 32gb because that's the most that windows will support formatting to fat32 (not 100% sure about this), and that way they can confidently say 32gb is fine, and not deal with the inevitable complaints when 64gb cards don't always work. The one I linked to does work though, you just put it in and press format when it says the card is not formatted already. Combined with an OTG cable and (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.mounter&hl=en_GB) you can even mount ntfs external usb storage when rooted.

Up to 32GB are SDHC (HC = High Capacity), as defined in version 2.0 of the SD specification. Version 3.0 added SDXC (XC = eXtended Capacity), supporting up to 2TB, and the cards are backwards compatible.

However, SDXC cards typically come formatted with the exFAT file system, a proprietary file system made by Microsoft. The specifications of exFAT aren't published, so most OSes (including Android) don't/can't support it for both technical and legal reasons. However, the FAT32 file system (which is supported by all modern OSes) supports devices up to 2TB, so SDXC cards can be formatted as FAT32 and used with any device compatible with SDHC cards.

[source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC]

Now this means that a typical 64GB micro SD card will not work (as provided) in a device such as the Hudl. However, a simple reformat to FAT32 should be all it takes to get it working. But this is slightly complicated to explain to an average end user, so advertising something like "supports micro SD cards up to 2TB" would lead to confusion for a lot of users. Hence, they advertise it as being compatible "up to 32GB", to avoid confusion (I guess).

EDIT: Back on topic, has anyone tried Cydia Impactor to try and root the Hudl? It uses the Android "Master Key" vulnerability (or another, newer exploit if that one fails), which might work on the Hudl seeing as it doesn't run the latest version of Android. It's a cross platform tool, with the ability to one-click root (amongst other things), so if it works, it'll be simpler than the current method, and also work on Windows and Mac. I don't have a Hudl (yet), so can't test myself.

Edited by SifJar

Guest jamesglanville

I tried using cydia impactor just now on my already-rooted hudl - it says "signature bugs unavailable". I haven't installed any sort of patches to stop the vulnerability, so I presume the hudl is not vulnerable to the two bugs.

I tried using cydia impactor just now on my already-rooted hudl - it says "signature bugs unavailable". I haven't installed any sort of patches to stop the vulnerability, so I presume the hudl is not vulnerable to the two bugs.

Well, thanks for trying. I intend to get a Hudl myself soon, so will probably test out a few different options and see if I can come up with something simpler than flashing a modified system image, assuming no better solution is released by then.

Edited by SifJar

Guest glossywhite

Well, thanks for trying. I intend to get a Hudl myself soon, so will probably test out a few different options and see if I can come up with something simpler than flashing a modified system image, assuming no better solution is released by then.

I don't see what could be simpler - it's not hard  :)

Edited by glossywhite

I don't see what could be simpler - it's not hard  :)

For anyone who doesn't use Linux, it's a fair bit of hassle to download an entire new OS, boot it, get it working etc., and also download a full system img (overall, a fair bit of downloading). Compared to the possibility of a simple, one-click, cross platform solution.

I'm not saying it's hard as is (I personally wouldn't have an issue with doing it this way), but that's not to say it couldn't be easier ;) Plus I'd kinda like to try my hand at figuring something like this out.

Guest glossywhite

For anyone who doesn't use Linux, it's a fair bit of hassle to download an entire new OS, boot it, get it working etc., and also download a full system img (overall, a fair bit of downloading). Compared to the possibility of a simple, one-click, cross platform solution.

I'm not saying it's hard as is (I personally wouldn't have an issue with doing it this way), but that's not to say it couldn't be easier ;) Plus I'd kinda like to try my hand at figuring something like this out.

Fair comment, after realising that this is GNU+Linux only (I never even noticed that, being a Mint user :P)

Trying to get the chinese version to run as on page 2. The root app doesnt seem to detect the tablet - I have usb debugging turned on. Laptop detects the hudl OK, but the app never shows are ready. It detects that something is plugged in (As if its trying to work out what it is), but never goes to the next stage. Running windows 8 x64 (for my sins). Anyone had any similar experience? Do I need to change drivers? Any help much appreciated.

Trying to get the chinese version to run as on page 2. The root app doesnt seem to detect the tablet - I have usb debugging turned on. Laptop detects the hudl OK, but the app never shows are ready. It detects that something is plugged in (As if its trying to work out what it is), but never goes to the next stage. Running windows 8 x64 (for my sins). Anyone had any similar experience? Do I need to change drivers? Any help much appreciated.

...sussed it. Just set it to use the abd drivers and hey presto.....

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Michaeltbh,

Does this method actually work...?? As when I posted it ages ago, was informed it didnt work...?

We're still waiting for our Hudl's, so can't test this out myself yet... But I can't see why not, as it claims to Root just about everything else... and if the device is prone to Root, then in theory it should work...

Would be good if it does, as it looks the more straight forward option..

Cheers, Lister

Kingo tool is much easier http://www.kingoapp.com/android-root.htm

Guest glossywhite

Hi Michaeltbh,

Does this method actually work...?? As when I posted it ages ago, was informed it didnt work...?

We're still waiting for our Hudl's, so can't test this out myself yet... But I can't see why not, as it claims to Root just about everything else... and if the device is prone to Root, then in theory it should work...

Would be good if it does, as it looks the more straight forward option..

Cheers, Lister

You're STILL waiting for them?  :blink:  That's been a long time!

Yes, it works ( I assume you mean Paul's pre-rooted /system image? ) - has been working since day 1, about 3 weeks ago.

Edited by glossywhite

You're STILL waiting for them?  :blink:  That's been a long time!

Yes, it works ( I assume you mean Paul's pre-rooted /system image? ) - has been working since day 1, about 3 weeks ago.

No, he means the post he quoted from Michealtbh.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi GlossyWhite / SifJar,

Yes, still waiting on one of the Hudl's (the coloured one, Purple...) We received the Black one like on Thursday last week.... But sadly it came ALONE!! :(

Unfortunately I cannot do/test anything with this one, as it is the (present) one for my Brother, and so couldn't break the seal on the packaging... and I am not sure whether he'll root it or not. Chances are he will, but that is his choice to make, not mine... (unfortunately).

However Mum's (present) one, we're still waiting for.... And then thinking back about it when the other arrived, we recalled the lady in Tesco's telling us that the coloured ones are not available until the 25th of Oct. So hopefully any day now.... :) But yeah it seems crazy long time since we ordered them, and strange that they did a 2x stage rollout of Black vS Coloured Tablets??

But yeah, my comment was in reference too Michaeltbh post. As he suggested to use KingoApp approach, which I mentioned ages ago... as it apparently Roots most Android devices. Only was told back when the Hudl's were available, that it didnt work on it... :( Which is disappointing....  However, his post makes me now question whether it does or not now??

Hopefully this week, when the other one arrives I will be able to test that out... As mum knows nothing about Tablets, and it'll be me who'll have to set it up for her in the first place. So may as well give it Root, so got that extra control/flexiability of the device. Actually looking forward to getting my hands on the device... :)

Cheers, Lister

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Excellent!!! Thanks for the update Michaeltbh....

I thought it would do, as I read about it previously, strange how was informed it didnt though... Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to see that for myself when the elusive Purple one turns up in the coming days... As I know I'll need Root to set up mums Tablet, with the customization/tweaks I have in mind... ;) :D

Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers, Lister

Guest fergiet

Hi

Just got my Hudl using Clubcard Boost. Cost me £19 !!! Bargain.

Is it worth rooting at the moment or should I wait 'till a dev comes up with a way of getting TWRP or CWM Recovery onto the device ? I am a PC user and don't hve much experience of Linux.

Guest greyrider

It's entirely up to you. I have no experience of Linux whatsoever, but the "Chinese method" from XDA was simple and took me minutes once the software was installed - in fact I've done it a second time after losing root when fiddling a bit too much. Well worth it to me as the boot sound made it impossible for me to use at night and with the other tweaks I've removed all the Tesco bloat which has made the tablet run smoother and, seemingly, faster. Got full screen too :D

Yeah, bootloaders are 'nice to haves' but really it's not that compicated to root via linux or Kingo (which people are reporting as working).

Full screen (full!screen app) and all the other tweaks/mods are dead easy once rooted - practically it's just downloading apps from the play store and setting up, ta-dah!

Edited by Guest

Guest Pieronip

Hi

Has anyone had any luck using the Kingo tool with Windows 7 x64?  I ask because although the tool runs it does not detect the Hudl.  The Hudl is showing in Device Manager as 'Other Device' and has no drivers installed.  Is this because there are no 64-bit drivers?

Will Windows Xp work?

Many thanks for any guidance.

Paul