How to root your Hudl [updated: latest supported ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest flurry

I think I was on ubuntu 13.10 when I rooted my hudl, though I may have also been on 13.04 - as you say, hopefully a fresh install of a distro will fix it.

The other thing that may be worth considering is the usb cable you're connecting with - I initially tried with the cable from my nexus 4 with limited success - the hudl's usb cable seemed to work better for me.

I'd be interested to know if you manage to solve it

Guest Cosman

Funny you should mention the usb cable,I use the one that came with my Moto G as the one supplied with the Hudl is a very loose fit on the micro usb end,I did try both,but do not trust the Hudl one to make a safe connection as it is so wobbly! :unsure:  

Guest flurry

Once you can see the hudl on your linux system, if you're unsure about the connection try just the read cycle of the script first manually - if the read fails part way it's much less likely to damage anything than the write script failing mid way.

oddly enough, my hudl's micro usb cable is quite tight!

Guest Cosman

I'm just downloading a Debian live cd,and will use that rather than this Ubuntu.

At least then I can have another go at rooting before I install it,as that will take a day or so by the time I've updated it to testing,installed Openbox,written the start script,menus etc. etc.

My last cable was ok too,I think Tesco must have found a much cheaper supplier,and are paying under 5p per hundred going by the quality of this one!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest macjim

Hello again. I've sold the Hudl and now have a Nexus 7 2013 tablet. I've also bought Windows 8.1 and am going to add a partition on my Mac's hard drive for it so that's got around the lack of Mac support.

• 2 months later...
Guest trueriver

hi,

I've written a script to automate what Paul did, so that the same script will continue to work until the partition offset and length changes. Original motivation was that neither of the posted roms were compatible with my brand new Hudl.

My script also crashes out gracefully when the partition offest is wrong, minimising the risk of bricking.

It also keeps a copy of the partition before and after the rooting, to allow you to revert to how it was before (maybe if the partitions moved - the data goes back exactly where it came from so this gives the best chance of recovering). The copy of the rooted system will allow you to roll-back at a later date to the point just after rooting.

This has been tested on the latest version of the hudl software, JDQ39.20140424.153851 and works a treat.

It works either before or after the user has turned the hudl on for the first time and filled in all the various info, so you can produce a factory-fresh rooted machine, or just root it in its current state.

Two versions, the lite version installs the su from clockworkmod and leaves you to install your favoured superuser app. In this case the app will not be a system app (unless it has its own internal install method, like for example supersu)

I've chosen the clockworkmod implementation as it is open source, and in my view it is particularly valuable to have open source software when rooting a device, as you don't otherwise know what else the app is doing.

The full version installs the full clockwordmod superuser app as a system app (in the hope that it will thus be more resistant to being uprooted). It does make the download bigger, but neither is anywhere near the size of the full system rom

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dfm1knop9gvq2vu/AAAVFWTOSt8vxVsOTXB5F8fza

After unpacking, cd to the resulting directory, and plug in the hudl using the same trick with the reset button and Volume key, then simply ./autoroot ...

...enjoy :)

River~~

Edited by trueriver

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cmenon

hi,

I've written a script to automate what Paul did, so that the same script will continue to work until the partition offset and length changes. Original motivation was that neither of the posted roms were compatible with my brand new Hudl.

My script also crashes out gracefully when the partition offest is wrong, minimising the risk of bricking.

It also keeps a copy of the partition before and after the rooting, to allow you to revert to how it was before (maybe if the partitions moved - the data goes back exactly where it came from so this gives the best chance of recovering). The copy of the rooted system will allow you to roll-back at a later date to the point just after rooting.

This has been tested on the latest version of the hudl software, JDQ39.20140424.153851 and works a treat.

It works either before or after the user has turned the hudl on for the first time and filled in all the various info, so you can produce a factory-fresh rooted machine, or just root it in its current state.

Two versions, the lite version installs the su from clockworkmod and leaves you to install your favoured superuser app. In this case the app will not be a system app (unless it has its own internal install method, like for example supersu)

I've chosen the clockworkmod implementation as it is open source, and in my view it is particularly valuable to have open source software when rooting a device, as you don't otherwise know what else the app is doing.

The full version installs the full clockwordmod superuser app as a system app (in the hope that it will thus be more resistant to being uprooted). It does make the download bigger, but neither is anywhere near the size of the full system rom

After unpacking, cd to the resulting directory, and plug in the hudl using the same trick with the reset button and Volume key, then simply ./autoroot ...

River~~

Thanks for the file upload. When you say to input in to the terminal ./autoroot... can you tell me what the rest is? Next, do we unpack the .gz files on the linux system? Finally, do you reckon a Raspberry Pi that also runs on linux would work.

Thanks

me

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ecarter

Great work cmenon - really appreciated. I had a rooted Hudl - update it and of course lost the root. Ran your lite version and got root back - although took a while because I had forgotten how long you have to hold the vol and reset pins.

However could not get SuperSU to run - kept wanting to install binary and then ended up in recovery screen and I was wary of selecting anything other that reboot. In the end installed clockwork mod superuser and that worked but also seems to offer root option to SuperSU even though it will not run. Question - can I remove SuperSU and just leave Clockwork - rather reluctant just to do that in case I end up loosing what is now working!

Thanks again :D

Edited by ecarter

Guest flurry

I'm not sure why SuperSU isn't working as it should - have you tried manually re-installing the app (just the app, not the su binary).

Does a root checker app give you the all clear that you're rooted? If so I believe from memory there's an option somewhere in SuperSU for cleaning up to move to another super user management app. This might allow you to cleanly move to superuser without any problems. Hope I've remembered right and not sent you on a wild goose chase!

EDIT: just looked at my install of SuperSU and in the settings panel there's a section called "cleanup" offering the ability to reinsrall or switch to another super user app

Edited by flurry

• 1 month later...

Is there anyway to run this via windows?

If not could someone give me any help / advice.

Thanks.  :)

The best way to run this via Windows is to use a Live DVD (or CD) from one of the multitude of Linux distros. Linux Mint seems to be about the easiest to get going (other Ubuntu derivatives have trouble with some nVidia cards) and Mint will pretty much drive common hardware right out of the box. Doing it this way you get Linux but don't brick your Windows installation; and while I'm no fan of Windows, if it came with your machine, you don't want to break it!

It's a good introduction to desktop *Nix too - which is starting to find its feet after decades in the wilderness. Distros like Mint, Elementary, Ubuntu and Pinguy (all based on Ubuntu) and a few others are now providing a reasonably compatible alternative to Windows AND MacOS X that won't have users feeling like they're on Mars! 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Steveharr

Hello,

I had my Hudl replaced because of a faulty screen. The Build Number of the new one is: JDQ39.20140424.153851

Can I root this one?

Steve.

Guest smidoid

Yes - that's the latest build and I can confirm that I've done it myself.

Colour me boring, but I unrooted quite soon because I couldn't find any advantage to doing the root (for me, personally) as I disabled all the Google and Tesco functionality and just installed (and use) most of the tools I need from F-Droid's app store.

Guest smidoid

Someone did a root script that you use on Linux box (or a virtual box or live CD/DVD)

It's pretty easy as it copies the existing system from the Hudl to store - which is why you're better using a Linux box or a Virtualbox (Windows/Mac)

It then makes a copy of the entire system image, roots that and copies it back to the Hudl - takes about 30 minutes but it's painless and can restore the system if something goes pear shaped.

I can't recall the link, so I'll look it out now.

Guest smidoid

Hi Steve, I can't find the original source - but here's a link to files you need. This is a "tar.gz" archive which any modern Linux can deal with automatically. All the instructions are on the README.txt within the archive. This is an unadulterated version and the read me contains all you need to know including the credits for the original exploits, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4gg117toc642pu/AADuXqAqkly71RM0oI6HpW9Ea?dl=0

Good luck - and make a backup just in case!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest dhopl

I used trueriver's instructions earlier on this page on my Hudl 1 29/07/15 at 13:00 , on build number JDQ39 20140424 153557 and they worked a treat (although autoroot did not seem to give any COMPLETE message echo for me ) . Unfortunately I then downloaded the app SuperSu and got an irritating message saying there was No Binary , although it claimed to have successfully installed ! However I can now modify the Wifi network setting to invoke a proxy server through using , I guess , the provided Chinese su . That had always been my intention . Thank you .   

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/29/2014 at 1:21 AM, trueriver said:

hi,

River~~

This is fantastic, thank you for hosting this on dropbox and all the work that went into it.

It's great to breath new life into old tech!

I used it with the 20131016.200812 version and was fine.

• 2 months later...
Guest hedgehogabc

Hi,

Please could someone help me to fix my daughter's hudl by uploading a specific image?

I need an image (preferably rooted) that:

* is based on her build number (20131016.200812).
  * I can flash using RKTools for Windows (I don't have Linux).
  * has already got passed the OTA download.

Getting passed the OTA download is particularly important because her WIFI appears to be broken, so if I don't flash an image that gets passed the OTA updates, I believe the hudl will be essentially be stuck in a boot loop as it will not progress until it has downloaded the enforced OTA updates.

Here's hoping someone can help me...

Thanks, Hedgehog

Update: I installed a copy of the stock version for 20141016.200812. Luckily this fixed the WIFI, so problem solved. BR, Hedgehog

Edited by hedgehogabc
To let others know that and how the problem was fixed.