[Kernel] CeXstel v0.62 (Y300/G510) [Stock/CM] [29/03/14]

Guest Ceastel

Well the msm8225 soc can encode H264 video on baseline profile (3.0-3.1) in 720p format with 13 fps! If you OC the processors to lets say 1.4GHz (most will be stable & on 1.6GHz) that will bring the boost of fpu performance around 20%(25%) & that's 16-17 fps. Unfortunately I don't know way to OC the GPU (there whose one attempt that whose half way successful - 2D OC worked bat 3D didn't)! The next performance gain should be from usage of Linux kernel 3.6+ with hard float Neon support & proper libs gains are around 35-40% & that will be around 21-24 fps with CPU OC & that is just in of for European (based on PAL) fps video protocol!

You assume that H.264 is encoded/decoded by the CPU or GPU. However, SoCs usually have an integrated media processing unit next to the CPU and GPU!

Take a look at the function blocks of a Snapdragon 200 (see attachment or this pdf) and also of a TI OMAP4 (IVA = image, video, audio accelerator).

It's possible that a low-end SoC such as the MSM8225 lacks such a media processor. In that case, H.264 would most likely be en/decoded by the ARM CPU. But the notion that the Adreno GPU would be responsible for that task is very unlikely. Anyway, I believe that the MSM8225 does have an integrated media processor, because as I said, that's the common way to do things. Therefore, overclocking CPU and GPU will not lead to 720p30 capabilities! You'd have to overclock the media processor - but it's proprietary and documentation is probably hard to get.

post-974773-0-73465700-1381098926_thumb.

Guest ZolaIII

You assume that H.264 is encoded/decoded by the CPU or GPU. However, SoCs usually have an integrated media processing unit next to the CPU and GPU!

Take a look at the function blocks of a Snapdragon 200 (see attachment or this pdf) and also of a TI OMAP4 (IVA = image, video, audio accelerator).

It's possible that a low-end SoC such as the MSM8225 lacks such a media processor. In that case, H.264 would most likely be en/decoded by the ARM CPU. But the notion that the Adreno GPU would be responsible for that task is very unlikely. Anyway, I believe that the MSM8225 does have an integrated media processor, because as I said, that's the common way to do things. Therefore, overclocking CPU and GPU will not lead to 720p30 capabilities! You'd have to overclock the media processor - but it's proprietary and documentation is probably hard to get.

MSM8225Q encodes 720p videos & only change is 4xa5!

MSM8225Q encodes 720p videos & only change is 4xa5!

Do you have proof for that claim? It's absolutely possible that MSM8225Q also has a better / higher clocked media processor than the MSM8225.

Guest ZolaIII

Do you have proof for that claim? It's absolutely possible that MSM8225Q also has a better / higher clocked media processor than the MSM8225.

First of all I really wish you best of luck if you are planing to find the real correct specification of Qualcomm socs & even more luck if you want the same for they GPUs!

You will soon find that you will need it in a big rations!

If you believe in Qualcomm diagrams it's better for you to seek medical attention...

I have 3 pdf specifications & even they are different & all officially from Qualcomm!

I can say with certainty that all soc with Adreno 205 are capable of 720p recording & that msm8225Q & msm8625Q are declared as capable! It's certain that CPU helps in encoding & decoding of multimedia & that Neons help much more!

Hire is one & on this one even the 8x25Qs are not declared as supported!

http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/common/products-services/snapdragon_specs_9-12.pdf

Edited by ZolaIII

If you believe that the GPU on Android smartphones and tablets is encoding/decoding videos, then it is you who needs medical attention. To be fair, it is a widespread misbelief.

As I said, SoCs used for Android have integrated media processors. I already showed you function block diagrams from Qualcomm and Texas Instruments, and here are two more for Nvidia and Intel. Have a Fujitsu SoC and the Actions ATM7029 as bonus. All of those diagrams and descriptions clearly show that there are dedicated hardware units for encoding/decoding video. If you think all those diagrams are lying, then you are stupid. They're simplified, yes, but that doesn't make them wrong. You can read about TI's "IVA" media unit on Wikipedia and follow the references if you still don't believe it.

It is true that the MSM8225Q supports 720p, I never denied that. But you said that the "only change" from the MSM8225 is that it's a quad A5 instead of a dual A5. That is not true - the MSM8225Q supports LPDDR2 and 720p displays and video. Meaning that the media and display units were probably enhanced in comparison to the MSM8225.

Of course the ARM Cortex CPU cores are somewhat involved in decoding video, they run the player software etc. But the grunt work, the actual encoding/decoding of H.264 and possibly other compression formats, is handled by the media processor - DSPs that are a lot more efficient at doing that job than an ARM Cortex CPU, with NEON or not!

If you're still unconvinced, take the MX Player app, play an HD video and compare battery use/runtime between using the HW decoder (media processor decodes the video)  and using the SW decoder (CPU decodes the video - with NEON support!). You'll find that HW decoding is a lot more efficient. And again, it's not done by the GPU.

Sorry for the off-topic, but it irks me when people spread the misbelief that videos are encoded/decoded by the GPU on Android SoCs. The CPU normally doesn't do it either, because it's inefficient, even with NEON. Those SoCs contain dedicated hardware units for video, people!

It'd be great if we could have 720p 30fps video on the Y300. But neither the GPU nor CPU are the problem here (unless you want battery eating software playback). It's the media processor/VPU.

Edited by derpy

Guest ZolaIII

Well Qualcomm shore did! Look at that pdf!

If you for instance enable hardware video acceleration in build properties then MXs hardware + decoder stops to work properly & it's not even able to decode Pal video like its should bat then the good software decoder with neon mp support is now working like MXs hardware+ before that!

You are capable to test that much!?

Memory bandwidth can sped up things a bit bat not that much!

Because you are so bright & accurate can you find some proofs that the msm8x25 & msm8x25Q are different in more then used memory & number of CPU cores? :P

If you really look in that pdf spec you will see that CPU strength really play a big deal in this so basic socs! & I know that integrated media accelerators do the most of job in modern socs bat this one is not it! On the other hand claiming that GPU can't accelerate mmc tasks is plane stupid!

Edited by ZolaIII

Guest Laximus

Can you release a new kernel for fix the milky screen? Dazzoso and kratos have fixed it in the new cm10 rc5

Where did you find this new cm10 rc5?

Would you please share the link here?

Well Qualcomm shore did! Look at that pdf!

If you for instance enable hardware video acceleration in build properties then MXs hardware + decoder stops to work properly & it's not even able to decode Pal video like its should bat then the good software decoder with neon mp support is now working like MXs hardware+ before that!

You are capable to test that much!?

Memory bandwidth can sped up things a bit bat not that much!

Because you are so bright & accurate can you find some proofs that the msm8x25 & msm8x25Q are different in more then used memory & number of CPU cores? :P

If you really look in that pdf spec you will see that CPU strength really play a big deal in this so basic socs! & I know that integrated media accelerators do the most of job in modern socs bat this one is not it! On the other hand claiming that GPU can't accelerate mmc tasks is plane stupid!

I've seen that Qualcomm pdf. It was wrong info, so what? As I said, supporting 720p could be as simple as increasing the clock frequency of the media processor.

Yes, I've done plenty of tests on a variety of phones and tablets. Devices that can smoothly play 720p and 1080p with H/W decoding stutter and can't handle it in S/W decoding with NEON.

I already told you in my last post that MSM8225Q = MSM8225 with two more A5 cores, enhanced memory controller (LPDDR2 support), enhanced display controller (720p screen support) and enhanced/overclocked media unit (720p video support).

I have provided ample proof from various SoC makers that video is encoded/decoded by dedicated hardware units. If you still think it's done by the GPU, then the burden of proof is on you! Those GPUs are solely responsible for 3D/OpenGL graphics, and potentially some 2D stuff and compositing (though some SoCs even have a dedicated 2D GPU for that). Things are a bit different on PC, by the way. There, the video acceleration units are actually integrated into the GPUs or CPUs, but they are still dedicated processing units separate from the other computing cores (example: UVD unit on AMD/ATI, or QuickSync for Intel).

Take another look at the specs for the Actions ATM7029 that I mentioned. It's a weak tablet SoC with four Cortex A5 CPU cores (yes, A5, they claim it's A9 but they're lying) clocked at 1.0-1.3 GHz. And it has a rather weak Vivante GC1000 GPU. Yet this SoC manages to decode not one, but up to six 1080p videos simultaneously! How's that possible? Because that SoC has a powerful media processor integrated. That is Actions' specialty. If you still think that this is done by the CPU or GPU, then you're beyond stupid. Back your claims with evidence or shut up.

Edited by derpy

Guest Ducsidu

Can you release a new kernel for fix the milky screen? Dazzoso and kratos have fixed it in the new cm10 rc5

+1

And would you please release v0.25 for CM too? 

Guest ZolaIII

First of all don't insult me!!!

Second thing the integrated fixed multimedia logic is mostly considered as a integrated GPU part & it works with gpu! Quick sync don't work on i cores with disabled GPU! Jou can't bay self stand UVD decoder, can you!?

Vivante GPU cores are actually based on Mali cores & we know that from Mali 400 gen they do mmc tasks very well! The six 1080p streams is a bold claim!

In some cases media acceleration unit is offered as optional like last one from imagination that have Hevc 4k decoding capabilities bat it's still tide to rogue gen of gpu's! & this is only because Hevc is not a main stream yet! You must understand that all 200-200 enchanted & 203 adrenos are based on Z430 GPU on the other hand 205 is really upgraded version of Z430; and the other 2xx party are based on Z460 the 3xx parts are home made (real 3xx parts with OGL 3.0 support). Android don't goo in architectural details & specific hardware media acceleration support! The real developed had the problems to enable hardware video acceleration to even work this good with this gpu & it's been done in late ICS builds! XBMC is the best bet that we will get the fully supported (most known codecs) hardware video acceleration (& it works better with freedreno driver's)! You can try last alpha build:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/android/

Only problem is that there is no really adapted skins for Android phones yet & that app is 50+ MB & can't be moved to the SD card...

Bottom line is that media processors that we are talking about are mostly integrated & considered as a part of gpus & that they partly use gpus rendering abilities! On the other hand only part of fpu load is distributed to gpu or media processor rest is been done on CPU because of latencies that are present in Synchronization! This is major topic HSA, AGPU or better integrated fpu co processor! Fixed function logic is limited to in built functions & mmc codecs do change the best representation of this is xh264 codec that is open sourced & perfected in that measure that it provides best compression quality of all H264 codecs (including very professional ones) it has a 2,6 x better compression quality ratio then Quick sync (on biggest quality preset).

This is gone to far by all standards ...: (

We can continue this discussion privately if you want? Or call in secondants & chose weapons! :)

We can continue this discussion privately if you want? Or call in secondants & chose weapons! :)

Please..!!!

You guys are really on some kind of 'knowledge war'....please do it private, this forus is not the right place for it.

Find better youself.

Note-Don't blaim and insult each other,,,,,,please....!!!!!!!

Guest ZolaIII

Please..!!!

You guys are really on some kind of 'knowledge war'....please do it private, this forus is not the right place for it.

Find better youself.

Note-Don't blaim and insult each other,,,,,,please....!!!!!!!

This forum is actually right place for it bat not on this topic!

& I am joking! :)

Guest ZolaIII

does this kernel works with the stratosh b197 rom ? and i just have to install it with twrp, does i have to consider something ?

Yes the stock kernel version!

Guest CrimsonCrap

@Ceastel

The cm10 R5 by kratos no longer has the milky screen.maybe you could use its code to somehow remove the milky screen for your kernel as well.I don't know sh*t about coding so please forgive me if what I said doesn't make any sense :-)

Guest Laximus

Using SetCpu when i set 1209 MHz, its not stay there, but often its jumps back to 1008.

Also I dont find row/dedline schedulers.

Or  they are not in this v0.25 for Stock release?

Edited by Laximus