[Kernel] CeXstel v0.62 (Y300/G510) [Stock/CM] [29/03/14]

Guest Ceastel

Guest Laximus

Stock 0.25 reboots when swap is active. Rom FusionX 6.1.

What app are you using for swapping? I have Roehsoft Ramexpander. Before, when I used it on Y200, its often making a reboot, but on y300 I didnt notice... well , its true I am using this just for twoo days...

=)

Edited by Laximus

Guest Ceastel

New version avaible! (check changelog)

Who still have reboots should report it here.

@partyzant_x

Write if in this version still phone reboot with swap.

@StefanV3

When it will be full stable & have nice performance .

Coming soon big update of CM kernels ... (now i don't have time for it, that why i only updated stock version)

Edited by Ceastel

Guest fonz93

New version avaible! (check changelog)

Who still have reboots should report it here.

@partyzant_x

Write if in this next version still phone reboot with swap.

@StefanV3

When it will be full stable & have nice performance .

Coming soon big update of CM kernels ... (now i don't have time for it, that why i only updated stock version)

1 Word: AWESOME, i like this kernel! thank you!!

Edit: I think you have also fixed the bluetooth, on me work!!

Edited by fonz93

Guest Ducsidu

I started using the latest version of the kernel and I really like it so far! Thanks!

The micro lags from games are gone.

Which will be the max. stable frequency for the GPU? Are you going to let it's frequency even go higher?

Guest ZolaIII

I started using the latest version of the kernel and I really like it so far! Thanks!

The micro lags from games are gone.

Which will be the max. stable frequency for the GPU? Are you going to let it's frequency even go higher?

That part will need much more testing!

Guest Ducsidu

That part will need much more testing!

Yeah, I thought it will be harder than the CPU tuning  :D but I'd like to see a little more performance of the GPU (if it's possible)

Guest pinky0978

Thanks Ceastel, just flashed 0.3. What are people finding is the max stable overclock?

Never mind, just seen freq. table stops at 1.21. Had 2 reboots before phone settled down, seems ok now

Edited by pinky0978

Guest Ducsidu

Thanks Ceastel, just flashed 0.3. What are people finding is the max stable overclock?

The max. frequency is 1,2 GHz and it's seems to be stable for me.

Guest Gavstor

What app are you using for swapping? I have Roehsoft Ramexpander. Before, when I used it on Y200, its often making a reboot, but on y300 I didnt notice... well , its true I am using this just for twoo days...

=)

hey can you please send me a copy of ram expander, thank you

Guest pinky0978

one question people... what does it mean by swap support and how does that work and what is the purpose of it? someone help please

Swap is a Linux partition that works a bit like virtual memory in Windows, it allows the OS to swap data stored in ram onto a partition on your sd card, or to a swap file on sd card, which in theory gives more usable ram, But the jury's out on whether it's worth doing with android due to the way android handles ram. Most people seem of the opinion that it makes very little difference and just wears out your sd card faster. I've seen very little (if any!) performance increase when using swap personally.

Guest Gavstor

Swap is a Linux partition that works a bit like virtual memory in Windows, it allows the OS to swap data stored in ram onto a partition on your sd card, or to a swap file on sd card, which in theory gives more usable ram, But the jury's out on whether it's worth doing with android due to the way android handles ram. Most people seem of the opinion that it makes very little difference and just wears out your sd card faster. I've seen very little (if any!) performance increase when using swap personally.

thanks i've tried it just now... i realized that theres more free memory than before but it still shows my original total memory, but on the swap app is see a different total, is this correct?

Guest pinky0978

thanks i've tried it just now... i realized that theres more free memory than before but it still shows my original total memory, but on the swap app is see a different total, is this correct?

Only way to be sure is to use a terminal emulator. Type "su" and press enter, then type "free" and press enter. If swap is working then there will be non-zero values under the swap header. If you get 0, 0, 0 then swap is not working.

No need for su, my mistake, but it won't hurt!!

Total ram will still be reported by android as before, because the OS doesn't "see" the swap partition as part of ram.

Edited by pinky0978

Guest Gavstor

Only way to be sure is to use a terminal emulator. Type "su" and press enter, then type "free" and press enter. If swap is working then there will be non-zero values under the swap header. If you get 0, 0, 0 then swap is not working.

No need for su, my mistake, but it won't hurt!!

Free ram will still be reported by android as before, because the OS doesn't "see" the swap partition as part of ram.

thanks, its working... a next thing it seems as if i cant use usb storage while swap is active, sd-card keeps unmounting

Guest pinky0978

thanks, its working... a next thing it seems as if i cant use usb storage while swap is active, sd-card keeps unmounting

Use swapper2 from play store, in options menu there is a setting to mount/unmount sd card automatically. Otherwise make a swap partition on sd card using gparted on linux, or minitool on windows. A swap partition is separate from your usual fat32 storage, and is mounted separately, like an ext 2/3/4 partition for apps2sd. Backup sd card first! Adding and resizing partitions can be done without formatting sd card but can potentially lead to data loss.

Guest ZolaIII

Swap is a Linux virtual memory!

& of course it it runs slower then real memory, it's limited by the sped of your SD card & filesystem you are using for it.

There are two ways to use swap as a swap partition or like swap file it's easier to use it as a swap file bat because it will run (in our case) on fat 32 partition it will run much slower then on ext4 partition!

Benefits...

When you enable swap you will not have more free RAM bat it will be possible for Android to secure more free ram if needed & to use virtual memory for things that cannot fit in RAM.

For instance you will be able to browse net more comfortable & to play game's that had visual artifacts because of lack of RAM like N.O.V.A3 or that used to crash like SoulCraft.

The price?

Considering the life cycle of NAND memory using swap will shorten yours SD card life expectations.

You will nead decent quality fast SD card!

My recommendation for easiest way to enable swap goes to:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.azasoft.free.swapper