Tesco Hudl - Custom ROMs/Modifications - Discussion

Guest Justice™

Guest Justice™

So, I haven't seen much discussion on custom ROMs and modification s to the Hudl, so I decided to create one for people to discuss and share findings etc.

While I've yet to root my Hudl (Haven't had a Linux box set up). I'm planning too. I've been researching custom ROMs and such for the RK3188, so far I've seen most of the ROMs that are available be flashed through the RK Batch tool. Which normally includes CWM along with it. I've also seen tools to decompile/recompile ROM IMGs, meaning that a prerooted/light/custom ROM could be created for the Hudl (I might give this a shot and see what the results are).

EDIT: I'm not sure if linking to "other" forums is allowed, but here is the link to the imgRePackerRK tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40870149&postcount=1

Edited by Justice™

Does it need to be rooted to install a custom ROM from the boot menu? Says it allows RKO image from USB or hurl memory, also updates, but assume they would have to be signed in some way...

Guest Justice™

Does it need to be rooted to install a custom ROM from the boot menu? Says it allows RKO image from USB or hurl memory, also updates, but assume they would have to be signed in some way...

As far as I know, root shouldn't be required to flash a custom ROM, at least through RKFlashtools, it's required if you chose to use CWM though. I don't think the ROMs need to be signed to be flash through RKFlashtools, maybe the script/tool automatically does that.

As far as I know, root shouldn't be required to flash a custom ROM, at least through RKFlashtools, it's required if you chose to use CWM though. I don't think the ROMs need to be signed to be flash through RKFlashtools, maybe the script/tool automatically does that.

I'd be willing to try if you could find an RKFlashtools flashable file for me :)

Guest Justice™

I'd be willing to try if you could find an RKFlashtools flashable file for me :)

Thanks! If I can find one or put one together I'll leave a link in this thread for people to try out :)