Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rocket

Wireless Speed

6 posts in this topic

Seems to Max out at 65mbps on my router (O2 wireless box iv, 802.11 n) - same as my Galaxy S3. My laptop gets to 130mbps though. Limitation of the comms chip inside? Also the S3 can get a decent signal in rooms where the Hudl cannot connect.

If you are only getting 65mhz this suggests your router is restricted to a 20mhz channel. Since your laptop can manage 130 mbps your router can provide more than one stream @ 20MHZ. The chipset in the Hudl (and coincidentally the S3) is the BCM4334 which is capable of 150 MHz on a single stream if your router can provide 40mhz channels.

NB. If you do manage to set 40 MHz channels your laptop should then negotiate 270/300 mbps.

Edited by darrellr

Router appears to be a 2x2 with no support for 40MHz channels. BCM4334 is 1x1 but supports 40MHz channels. My laptop is 2x2 and also supports 40MHz channels. Time for a new router to improve matters.

Also, in my limited Hudl experience you may also find it is jumping between 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands dependent on signal level (that's if you are using both bands). The app ISSIDer would help you to determine this.

If you are only getting 65mhz this suggests your router is restricted to a 20mhz channel. Since your laptop can manage 130 mbps your router can provide more than one stream @ 20MHZ. The chipset in the Hudl (and coincidentally the S3) is the BCM4334 which is capable of 150 MHz on a single stream if your router can provide 40mhz channels.

NB. If you do manage to set 40 MHz channels your laptop should then negotiate 270/300 mbps.

This sounds really interesting and something I need to be doing, where would i go to find out about how to do this (and maybe what it actually means)?

Which router do you have? Find the spec for it and see if it supports 40MHz channels first.