ZTE V967S (Impressions, Root, Recovery, Rom...)

Guest Dovahpig

Guest Dovahpig

ZTE-V967S-Smartphone.jpg

Specifications :
CPU: CPU: MTK6589 Quad -core 1.2GHz ( 28nm )
GPU : Imagination PowerVR SGX544 ( 28nm )
Memory : 1GB RAM, 4GB ROM - Up to (TF -Card ) MAX support 32GB
Screen : 5.0 " QHD , 960 x 540.16 M Colors , IPS -LCD - Capacitive Multi Touch Screen
Audio : 3.5MM headphone jack - MP3 , AAC , WAV , etc. .
Video: AVI, MP4, FLV, 3GP, MOV , ASF , MPEG , RMVB , H.263 , H.264 , etc. .
Battery: 2500mAh

Where to buy :
I ordered mine through AliExpress ( EBE Store) for $ 131.
You need a regular MasterCard card and that's it .
Waiting for about 3-4 weeks .

Impressions:
In short, for the money in my opinion the best buy .
In addition to the standard package of things were the silicone sleeve and another film to screen for free.
The display already  had protective foil . Headphones do not come with the phone.
Fluidity of the OS is excellent, no lag , stuttering , etc.

Absolutely stable and cold phone even under load thanks to 28nm GPU - CPU .
Battery is little to say fantastic , versus my old G300 I have three times longer autonomy again thanks to 28nm .
Camera some would say average , for me is good. Compared with my G300 camera I would say its a little better
Video recording in 720p and it looks alright .
As for the games so far everything I have tried runs smoothly without problems .. Fifa14 , Plants vs Zombies 2 , Need For Speed ​​Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit , Modern Combat 4 : Zero Hour.
Score in Antutu is 13700.

Guest Dovahpig

Recovery and installing custom ROM :

Phone arrived with English 1.03 ROM ( current is 1.05 ) and Chinese recovery .

My recommendation is of course to immediately flash newer one.
Of all the ROMs I've tried , the best for me was Max Flavour Slim v3.4 which is based on the latest official ROM.

Download the Rom and Gapss from here and then transfer them to the root of your SD card :

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxE9S1QZGr4mVmlfeXhqYkVCNUE/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxE9S1QZGr4mUERTTV83OXhDWjg/edit?pli=1

HOW TO FLASH:

1. Download the necessary USB drivers

ZTE USB Driver
http://www.mediafire.com/?pdgmf9cmnat22sa

MTK Android USB Driver
http://www.mediafire.com/?ixfgnclc3xz3j84

2. Download Mobile Tools with Uncle Play Store
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobileuncle.toolbox&hl=sr

3. Download Recovery.img and put it in the root of your SD card

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.4.4
http://www.mediafire.com/?91zpnarg3n4hi2a

4. In Mobile Uncle Tools select "Update Recovery " and select the file " recovery - CWM - 6044.img " which you previously stored the root of the SD card .

5. Boot into CWM Recovery via Mobile Uncle Tools or using the key combination Volume Down + Power button (hold it until it enters in recovery )

6. BACKUP YOUR CURRENT ROM

7. Inside recovery do the following

Wipe Data / Factory Reset
Wipe Cache Partition
Advanced and Wipe Dalvik Cache

In the main menu , select "Install zip from SD Card " and select " ZTE_V967S_Max_v - 3.4_slim.zip ".

Upon completion  again select "Install zip from SD Card " and select " signed - gapps - flavor - essential.zip "

8. Reboot the phone (the first restart will take longer ) and that's it .

List of other ROMs for this phone :
http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/zte/v967s/

I agree that the v967s looks like one of the better buys in the current market of China phones. I have been happy with the device apart from backlight bleed that is especially prominent in the bottom corners of the screen on my unit. Still it is probably not worth the hassle to ship it back to China for a replacement. I have also experienced some issues with automatic screen brightness but a different ROM might fix that. I am still running the stock one with Chinese apps removed.

A word of warning regarding protective covers, I ordered one for v987 since I could not find one for v967s on eBay (apart from those advertised as fitting both devices). All the cut-outs fit but the sides are not fully covered since the v987 is marginally slimmer.

Guest Dovahpig

Luckily i dont have this backlight bleeding. Automatic screen brightness changes brightness way too much for my taste. I have it on manual. Try Gravitybox, it adds tons of options to play with.

Edited by Dovahpig

Guest blaster99999

right thanks for that , I thought I needed root to run mobile uncle, only problem I can see is there will be no google play store on the Chinese rom so wont be able to install from play store, how did you get round that , did you download it and install the app from sd card

Guest blaster99999

scrap that ive just found mobile uncle 2.9.3 and downloaded the app , just hope its rooted then will have to check it out thanks

Edited by blaster99999

Guest Dovahpig

Ive switched back to Max Flavour Slim, Miui doesnt suit me somehow. But for the ones who like that whole thing i can confirm it works great.

Edited by Dovahpig

Guest blaster99999

I like the max flavour rom too , looks cool , I had to root my v967s but found a app that did it framaroot.apk 1.6.1 , so all I did was run that app then install mobileuncle add the recovery cwm 6044.img to sd card then from mobile uncle upgrade the recovery then install the max rom and gapps . complete process took 10 minutes.

Guest blaster99999

only problem ive found so far is when I connect phone to computer I am not able to see my sd card , I cant choose use phone as storage device , when I choose the option it reverts straight back to zte installer option.

Guest Dovahpig

You need to have proper usb drivers installed. Try removing zte usb drivers from add/remove programs and then run windows update. Then select zte usb drivers and let windows install them. For me when i connected my phone it prompted me to install the drivers that were on the phone and it worked. Try rebooting your pc after installing the driver and/or turn off/on your phone while in windows.

Edited by Dovahpig

OPPO UI rom for ZTE v967s, transplanted from OPPO R815W by 7766542

Description: Nothing special  - do have a cwm backup, as usual

It seems that it doesn`t have root (not sure)

Download

Screens:

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

After testing over 30 chinese roms on g300 I can say that

I have never found one without english UI.

Every single one had english/chinese (+mandarin) language.

Guest Dovahpig

Great, i bet chinese forums are loaded with roms for V967S.

When i have time i will check them out.

This morning i tryed Android KitKat 4.4 launcher on our phone. Works fine and fast but lacks settings, and icons are little too big.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest itanium21

Well, the 4th step can't be done if you don't have a root access. 

But as I found out a few minutes later it's very easy to root V967S - just use Framaroot.

Few clicks and your phone is rooted ;)

Dovahpig, what exactly you didn't like in MIUI rom?

Edited by itanium21