[ROM][ZTE Skate] H3 Holo (Dolby Audio + Linaro optimized kernel + frandom + ROW I/O scheduler)

Guest H3ROS

You can apply the plus version if you want it.

In the next update the launcher might be getting replaced though, since the new update changes the appearance to look like KitKat when I'm aiming for ICS/JB.

So I've finally got to try this Rom after porting it to my Blade 2.

I have to say, it's really impressive what you did to stock GB to make it work and look this great  :D

@H3ROS Would you be ok with me releasing my port after I have worked out some bugs ?

Thanks. I put a lot of time into some of the little details :)

You can port the ROM and release it to others. All I ask is that you link back to this thread somewhere in your post.

I'm not sure what type of bugs you'd have with porting it. I know you'd need to remove Dolby stuff, plus maybe repatch PDroid and change memory related settings since they're all set for the Skate.

Dolby seems to work just fine and the memory settings should also be ok. Only bug I have is not being able to access sd-ext at all, but I should be able to fix.

Another thing is your optimized kernel, I'd like to have at least some of it's optimizations in the blade2 kernel, but I'd need your source for that.

I use viper audio on my skate, which is much more programmable for me, because Im aware the way I like my music wont be the same as other people. So beats and dolby although are excellent, arent customisable enough for me. Give it a try and see what you think.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

+1

I like it and htcbeats.irs from htc one makes sounds very impressiv with my headset 

You can apply the plus version if you want it.

In the next update the launcher might be getting replaced though, since the new update changes the appearance to look like KitKat when I'm aiming for ICS/JB.

Ok .I must say one more time ,that its probably best rom for our phone ,and i'm for 2 years tried probably about 30 different :D .Good job. Edited by zukenp

Dolby seems to work just fine and the memory settings should also be ok. Only bug I have is not being able to access sd-ext at all, but I should be able to fix.

Another thing is your optimized kernel, I'd like to have at least some of it's optimizations in the blade2 kernel, but I'd need your source for that.

I'm surprised it works so well in that case. The SD-EXT stuff shouldn't be that hard to either fix or remove.

You will get the main performance boost even without the kernel mod as the ROM will punch the frandom module into any unsupported kernel. Also if there's no SmartassH3 then it'll optimize SmartassV2 to behave the same as it (shouldn't be required for your device at all though, since it's 1GHz and this tweak would underclock you to 806MHz).

I'm actually working on the kernel at the moment. I made some changes before but stopped working on it for while, so now I'm trying to locate and remember what I changed and why.

@ zukenp

Edited by H3ROS

ok maybe i found some small bug,maybe its not :) .Youtube ,when is on some longer time,video stops but sound working .For working again ,you must stop in process YT ,or reset phone.Thats happens to me 3 times.Is someone else register this problem?

Clear the YouTube cache. It's likely a YouTube bug as it seems that with each release it's getting worse. Older versions of YouTube seemed so much faster on the Skate.

Clear the YouTube cache. It's likely a YouTube bug as it seems that with each release it's getting worse. Older versions of YouTube seemed so much faster on the Skate.

I have used version 2.3.4 of youtube, fastest version ever and smooth ui.

i uploaded to my 4shared account if you want to download it:

http://www.4shared.com/get/XmIDu-cX/YouTube.html

Guest jtharmor

H3ROS are you planning any fixes for below ??

1) The launcher sucks. Its slow like hell. I am not able to find Nova Launcher in play store.

2) Battery percentage on status bar ?

Guest jtharmor

Right, it has advantages , but how i feel when i'm in touch with this tipe of launchers , i feel nothing, i just don't like at all just to change like pictures/ very slow animations, like no animations at all , i like his theme and style because looks exactly like Trebuchet - great launcher but only for cm10, but they really need to make it a lot better in scrolling...my opinion.

yes.......laucher is the biggest negative of this ROM........

1) The launcher sucks. Its slow like hell. I am not able to find Nova Launcher in play store.

Sorry mate but the Nova Launcher doesn't work on gingerbread 2.3, it requires at least 4.0.4 or jelly bean to run it, i tested it with a 4.2.2 build of CECO.

Also if there's no SmartassH3 then it'll optimize SmartassV2 to behave the same as it (shouldn't be required for your device at all though, since it's 1GHz and this tweak would underclock you to 806MHz).

That's actually not true, the Blade2 aka Crescent actually uses the same exact chipset as the skate.

The devices are incredibly similar actually, the only big diffrences are only the Screen, touchscreen and wi-fi and some other details.

That should explain why it works so well.

Your confusion probably comes from ZTE releasing a completely different phone that uses the same board/device name as the Crescent for some reason.

The launcher is fast. If it's slow then you must of modified it's settings in an attempt to make it smoother.

I may be moving away from Holo Launcher anyway. That's only if I can get the other launcher to look how I'd like it to though.

As for the battery percentage, read a page or two back. That's not going to be an addon until I've finished modding the framework-res as I don't want people flashing an old battery mod over a newer framework-res and then complaining that something doesn't look right.

@ gbosh

I actually didn't know much about the Blade 2 so googled it. Pretty much everything said that it was 1GHz :blink:

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade_ii_v880+-4608.php

http://mobile.softpedia.com/phones/ZTE/ZTE-Blade-II.shtml

http://www.theverge.com/products/blade-ii/5277

Edited by H3ROS

Hi H3ROS, I've tried to change the resolution to 200 dpi in build.prop, but I've got android.process.media FC. Could you give me a hint on how to fix the problem or is'nt it possible to change dpi? For the battery percentage, maybe somebody would like to test 360 Mobile Security, which is a highly recommendable security app, which besides protecting the phone using very little ram, puts a battery percentage icon on the right side of the screen.

It's possible with the stock ROM, but maybe not if you've flashed the older music app addon. Having said that though, the ROM doesn't scale correctly at 200 DPI. Besides the minor issues with it I've yet to fix, I've noticed that when set to 200 DPI the launcher seems much slower.

There's a Gingerbread version of Xposed at XDA with an addon that lets you set per-app DPI. That should work around any problems for the time being.

It's possible with the stock ROM, but maybe not if you've flashed the older music app addon. Having said that though, the ROM doesn't scale correctly at 200 DPI. Besides the minor issues with it I've yet to fix, I've noticed that when set to 200 DPI the launcher seems much slower.

There's a Gingerbread version of Xposed at XDA with an addon that lets you set per-app DPI. That should work around any problems for the time being.

Thank you for your reply H3ROS, I reverted to 240 dpi and everything is fine again. I don't know what the reason of the error was, because I never flashed the older music app but left the Rom as is and installed Poweramp as alternative player.  And the FC happened on systemstartup and also opening poweramp. 

Before installing the ROM did you wipe the data, dalvik cache and format /system and any SD-EXT partition? It's just that I've just tried the trial version of Poweramp from the Play Store and that's working well. Notifications don't look perfect with that app though as it ignores the framework and attempts to do something custom <_<

This is the other app I was going to use during development: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h6ah4i.android.music_visualizer2

It looks great and runs really well on the ROM.

Edited by H3ROS

Yes, I did all wipes and everything was working fine for days until I changed to 200 dpi. Anyway staying with 240 dpi is also ok for me. Thank you!

Edited by Janfri

People seem to have mixed results with the battery and them that say the battery drains quickly can't seem to log anything that would cause battery drain. Like there's no unusual wakelocks, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

This ROM is based on the official Orange Monte Carlo ROM, so Dolby isn't hacked in or anything like that. My phones also an Orange Monte Carlo, so I'm not sure if the hardware version is exactly the same as what you're using, but for me this has better battery life than any CyanogenMod ROM (7.x and up).

You could try setting the max CPU to 787MHz and the governor to ondemand, but I'd expect that to use more battery as you'd end up in higher CPU states for longer periods of time.