[ROM][ZTE Skate] H3 Holo (Dolby Audio + Linaro optimized kernel + frandom + ROW I/O scheduler)

Guest H3ROS

Guest betterthanjordan79

The minimum partition size is 150 with a 2MB cache. Also if you've got an SD-EXT partition then be sure to format it before you install.

Thank for Ur help! Is there a guide for this somewhere or a zip that I can flash?

Edited by betterthanjordan79

Guest holybabel

Thanks H3ROS for this great ROM. Now the phone of my wife works really good.

I found the No-Frills CPU Control in the settings menu and set the max. freq to 902Mhz. Is it possible to take a higher value without destroying the skate?

Greetings holybabel

Edited by holybabel

@ betterthanjordan79

There's no guide or automated script to do it. Have you ever actually shrunk your partitions though by applying a TPT? Maybe a 140MB TPT which would be too small?

@ holybabel

You can probably take it a little higher, maybe 960MHz max. It depends on your device as everyones can behave a little differently when it comes to overclocking.

Keep in mind that the higher you push it the less battery life you're going to get.

Guest xander21

Something strange happen to my phone today.
I was around 50% battery and I turned on bluetooth to link it to a device.
I fail so i give up but then i haven't been able to turn it off.
I move on because i didn't wanted to waste time on this.
Few hours later (2 or 3 hours), phone was off and vibrating every second.
I come home and put it in charge and battery was at 0%.
I wanted to send a SMS and keyboard was back to english without reasons.
I didn't noticed any other change yet.
I made a full charge since it happend and i'll let the phone on for the night and see status of the battery tomorrow.

Any idea ?

Edited by xander21

My bet is that bluetooth has failed somewhere and caused it to drain the battery. As the phones then suddenly turned off at some point there can be minor data loss. It's like if you were to pull out a USB memory stick from a PC without first unmounting it, there's that small chance that it could corrupt.

Guest xander21

Maybe the 1.0.1 update for bluetooth was correcting this ?
This morning the battery looks fine still full and phone still on.

Guest xander21

Since i have bluetooth problem, i plan to patch to the last version.

I have see that i can download a .zip from OTA Updater but i can't apply it directly. What do i need to do it ?
Yet, it says that i can apply it from CWM . Can i really apply the .zip from 1.0.0 to 1.0.2 without wiping anything ?
The size of the .zip is pretty small comparing it to the rom, is it normal or is my fine corrupt ?

If i apply the full rom 1.0.2 over my 1.0.0, what kind of wipe should i do ?

Thank you.

Edited by xander21

Guest xander21

I have apply the zip donwloaded from OTA updater with a dalvik cache wipe and all is fine.

Edited by xander21

Guest H3ROS

Looks like you figured it out. Yes, the size of the OTA updates are small compared to the ROM. You just boot to CWM and install the zip without wiping anything :)

I actually forgot that you were still running on the original build. That would explain why bluetooth failed so badly for you as it had a pretty major bug in the original release.

Guest xander21

i was just wondering how an update can replace the kernel without any wipe and if not pass by the 1.0.1 was a problem.
You could have create an update that change only what is in 1.0.2 and not in 1.0.1.

Edited by xander21

Guest H3ROS

I could shrink updates by doing that, but then I also need to upload more files which takes up the space that I need for other things. There's little point in that now anyway as I'll release maybe 1 or 2 more updates, but that's if my phone lasts long enough as the USB socket has become faulty which is making development much harder. The worst part is getting it to charge though.

When installing a new kernel no wipes are required. After the reboot the new kernel takes effect right away.

Guest nuraH

ROM is awesome!

I spotted some minor issues:

1. no support for '.aac' and '.m4a' files (on Shuttle, didn't try stock player)

2. e-mail has no support for ActiveSync exchange (can you please upload stock e-mail application, because it has support for activesync)

3. Opera browser has no support for ''Open with..'' option (can you please upload stock browser too)

keep up the good work

Edited by nuraH

Guest H3ROS

1. I do believe that's the same on the stock ROM's. Poweramp should add support for m4a, but I'm not sure about acc.

2. That's one of the downsides. The email client used in this ROM is a huge cosmetic improvement, but you lose ActiveSync exchange support. I didn't ever theme the stock email client either, so I'll see what can be done there.

3. I could give you the stock browser, but it would be ugly. I made sure that Opera wasn't a system app so that it could be uninstalled and replaced. I've found Dolphin Browser to be pretty good, but I don't know if it offers an "Open with..." option.

I'll be releasing an update once the email client gets a stable release. It might be my final update for the Skate due to my phone being almost dead. That means that it won't get a KitKat theme.

Guest nuraH

1. I do believe that's the same on the stock ROM's. Poweramp should add support for m4a, but I'm not sure about acc.

2. That's one of the downsides. The email client used in this ROM is a huge cosmetic improvement, but you lose ActiveSync exchange support. I didn't ever theme the stock email client either, so I'll see what can be done there.

3. I could give you the stock browser, but it would be ugly. I made sure that Opera wasn't a system app so that it could be uninstalled and replaced. I've found Dolphin Browser to be pretty good, but I don't know if it offers an "Open with..." option.

I'll be releasing an update once the email client gets a stable release. It might be my final update for the Skate due to my phone being almost dead. That means that it won't get a KitKat theme.

1. Before this ROM I used Ice Armour III+ ROM based on CyanogenMod 7.2 where stock player had support for both .aac' and '.m4a' files.

2. I would appreciate if you upload Stock E-Mail app and put it in your second post.

3. I will try out Dolphin Browser instead of Opera

thanks for your response

keep up the good work - your ROM is really awesome

Guest H3ROS

http://download.wavetlan.com/SVV/Media/HTTP/http-aac.htm

Some of the samples on this page I can get it to play, but some of them it won't.

Some might be due to this: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

Keeping in mind that CM can support different codecs to stock Android.

I'll try to get a little work done on the email client tomorrow. I'd just like to make sure that all of the orange is removed and that the icons are a little more up to date :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xander21

After checking battery usage with bluethooth on, i have see that it use around 25% of battery life.
Could it be possible to disable it or in kind of standby when no device are connected and screen is off ?

Guest ousZTE

Everything stopped working all of a sudden(force closes on camera, etc.)........on Kitkat now........My skate has reboi'

i'm on KK also and after 2 monthes on it "Everything stopped working all of a sudden" just as for u on H3 Holo adding to that : com.android.procces FCing at each boot i'm sufering with that ,and i'v sort of attached to KK so i can't go back GB :/

Guest H3ROS

Everything stopped working all of a sudden(force closes on camera, etc.)........on Kitkat now........My skate has reborn :)

That often happens if you've got an EXT partition and you've backed up to try another ROM. When you then restore H3 Holo it might start displaying errors. There is one other thing that could cause it though and that's a sudden power loss. That'd happen because my kernel has fsync disabled to improve speed, but that also risks data loss when there's a sudden loss of power and Android hasn't had chance to shutdown correctly.

I'm still using my ROM as everything works and it's better for games and such. I'm pushed for time to create patches though, but it's not that like it really needs anything fixing.

Edited by H3ROS