Latest hudl update patch (OTA) + modded version (NEW! no assert checks)

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

So, the little tab wants to update itself, huh? Before you do that, here's the file the hudl downloads when it does so, so you may inspect it and have a nose about inside:

## The file is called "ht7s3-ota-20130923.020558_v1.2rc3--to--20131016.200812_v1.3rc2.zip" whilst downloading.

## It stores this file in /cache, and renames it to "update.zip" once downloaded.

## Once the update is downloaded and self-renamed by hudl to "update.zip", I pulled it to my PC via adb, and then DELETED IT FROM /cache VIA "adb shell" to stop it updating.

## Once I have deleted it, I press restart and it tells me it cannot verify the update (obviously, since I deleted it  :D)

[Download the 16MB update file "20131016.200812 v1.3rc2"] (ZIP)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e92glb1r2z2yhzl/update_aka_ht7s3-ota-20130923.020558_v1.2rc3--to--20131016.200812_v1.3rc2.zip?dl=1

### UPDATING POST AND ADDING NEW 16Mb ZIP FOR CWM (and possibly stock recovery - please test) ###

I've modded the untouched OTA 1.3 ZIP, and removed assert checking, and have tested this by flashing to my rooted hudl. It has left the "/system/app/moved" dir ALONE, and so this should mean that we can continue to update manually, instead of Tesco servers FORCING it on us ^_^

Please test in stock recovery, as I've now migrated my hudl to ClockWorkMod v 6.0.1.3, thanks. :D

>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldn9gf3klrk2sve/UNPACK_ME_FIRST_hudl-v1.3-no-assert-checking.zip?dl=1 <<

!!! DO NOT flash this ZIP before unpacking it - there is another ZIP inside and a readme, so unpack it first, then flash the ZIP it contains !!!

Please click "like" button (green UP arrow) if useful, since this tells me how beneficial my threads and comments are to you :) thanks ---->

Edited by glossywhite

The update checks that everything is "as should be" before updating. If you edit the updater-script and remove lines 6 - 357, it should skip the checks and install the update anyway. No guarantee everything will OK though, seeing as it is of course it is designed to be applied to unmodified stuff (hence the checks are there in the first place). You can try it though.

Guest hippy dave

It verifies the checksums of all the files to be altered before applying the update, so the error might be caused by whatever's different in Paul's rooted system.img that some of us flashed, or might be the CWM recovery. I've got both, but haven't tried the update - those of you who have tried & it failed, which of those two things have you used? :)

Edit: also if you have flashed hal2710's whole rooted rom image, as well as the modified system.img and the CWM it also is missing several of the APKs that the update checks for.

Edited by hippy dave

Guest TescoHudl

I rooted my Hudl using Paul's original method, in Linux. I just attempted the upgrade and it worked, but Root Checker basic says that the device 'Does not have proper root access'. All my root apps (Such as Juicedefender and Stickmount) booted at startup, so i don't know whether it has affected the root or not. If it has, i will be seriously pissed off.  :angry2: 

EDIT:

Looks like i've lost root access then! No idea how to get it back without loosing all my data?

gLzRomE.png

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest TescoHudl

I thought i was in trouble then, but then i remembered that several users had reported success with the Chinese root tool. It took me a while to download it due to an extremely poor connection between me and their servers, but luckily the root worked!! Much easier than Paul's original method; i prefer a graphical interface any day, even if it is in another language! :D

Guest CashMoney

Chinese root method here. Not uninstalled anything, just disabled apps. No go with the update. So what about the updated systemui without the T ? Maybe that's the common issue?

Guest glossywhite

I've just done a low-level nand erase with "rkflashtool" and re-installed "stock" ROM, and then restarted, and yet this stupid update WILL NOT INSTALL, and I cannot get into the hudl, as the stupid update screen stays there!

So annoying!

Guest h4x0rm1k3

I've just done a low-level nand erase with "rkflashtool" and re-installed "stock" ROM, and then restarted, and yet this stupid update WILL NOT INSTALL, and I cannot get into the hudl, as the stupid update screen stays there!

So annoying!

@Glossywhite, I see you finally found out that what I was saying earlier was true and makes sense now! It is damn annoying especially considering i've flashed the 'supposedly' stock rom with RKflashtool and can't run the update due to an error and then not being able to get past either the wifi setup screen or find a way to skip past the update screen when going through the initial 1st time setup! For reference though here's the error I get when using the rooted rom with CWM -

CWM based recovery modified by androtab.info v6.0.3.1

E:Invalid command argument

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installing update...

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "ht7s3" II            getprop("ro.build.product"

) == "ht7s3"

E: Error in /cache/update.zip

(status 7)

Installation aborted

I'm trying to do some google magic to see if there's a way of manually patching the HUDL 1.0 stock rom to see if that might get us past that initial setup but then thinking about it i'm also wondering what other checks Tesco have put in place to check the file/firmware integrity and which update the HUDL is on. If I find anything out i'll let you all know but I honestly don't know how far i'm going to get but here's hoping! If anyone has any pointers though then fire them my way please as i'm willing to give anything a shot at the moment!

Chinese root method here. Not uninstalled anything, just disabled apps. No go with the update. So what about the updated systemui without the T ? Maybe that's the common issue?

Having a modified systemui will certainly trigger a failure in the file checking process of the update, but I'm pretty sure some people are experiencing problems for other reasons as well.

Guest glossywhite

I for one, will not update until such time as someone creates a rooted stock image with the update in it (I'm not familiar with how to do that yet).

Guest h4x0rm1k3

I think this update was part of the:

Tesco_Value_4.png

... range

Nearly as bad as the horse meat burger/lasagne fiasco, it's certainly leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth at the moment and a huge pain in my a**e! Ah well, if I can't sort it soon then Tesco can have 2 non updating HUDL's back and i'll make sure this time to get on to the latest firmware update 1st before rooting and then i'll turn the damn OTA updates off for good! Give it a few months and i'm sure there's gonna be plenty of firmwares for the choosing!

Edited by h4x0rm1k3

Guest glossywhite

Nearly as bad as the horse meat burger/lasagne fiasco, it's certainly leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth at the moment and a huge pain in my a**e! Ah well, if I can't sort it soon then Tesco can have 2 non updating HUDL's back and i'll make sure this time to get on to the latest firmware update 1st before rooting and then i'll turn the damn OTA updates off for good! Give it a few months and i'm sure there's gonna be plenty of firmwares for the choosing!

Please refer to this thread I created - I found a way around forced updates (you'll need Ubuntu/other GNU+Linux, preferably):

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366204-how-to-stop-the-stupid-otaclientapk-from-forcing-updates-on-a-newreset-hudl/

Guest hippy dave

i'm also wondering what other checks Tesco have put in place to check the file/firmware integrity and which update the HUDL is on. If I find anything out i'll let you all know but I honestly don't know how far i'm going to get but here's hoping! If anyone has any pointers though then fire them my way please as i'm willing to give anything a shot at the moment!

Poke through the zip file to find the update script, it lists every file that's checked for integrity.

In my case the update failed because I had modified the build.prop. Once I returned it to the default values the update worked and I still have root access (chinese tool)

Guest djpatterson

The update checks that everything is "as should be" before updating. If you edit the updater-script and remove lines 6 - 357, it should skip the checks and install the update anyway. No guarantee everything will OK though, seeing as it is of course it is designed to be applied to unmodified stuff (hence the checks are there in the first place). You can try it though.

Had to delete the 2 earlier assert statements too.

Then just applied through CWM, declining the updated bootloader and adding SU when prompted.

Seems to be fine to me, what should I test (help about just being a lookup of build.prop)

Thanks

Guest CashMoney

Had to delete the 2 earlier assert statements too.

Then just applied through CWM, declining the updated bootloader and adding SU when prompted.

Seems to be fine to me, what should I test (help about just being a lookup of build.prop)

Thanks

Tried this with regular flavour recovery, no go, still stops almost right away with an error (no indication of what the error is though). Will get CWM on here and try again later. Before I do though, djpatterson, to be sure we are on the right page, the start of my updater-script (found under META-INF\com\google\android) looks like -

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mtd/by-name/system", "/system");
ui_print("Verifying current system...");
show_progress(0.100000, 0);

# ---- start making changes here ----

That correct?