ClockworkMod Recovery (v6.0.3.1) for rkflashtool, built by hal2710

Guest hippy dave

Guest hippy dave

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, as promised here is the CWM recovery.img as built by hal2710 and shared in his rooted rom image (here / here). All credit to him for building it, ps. he says:

Please note that because of the way the internal memory is allocated in the Hudl, the internal sdcard is not accesible from CWM.

I am currently building a custom install script that should work around this.

I successfully flashed this image to my Hudl using rkflashtool, the same tool used in Paul's rooting instructions. If you successfully used that rooting method and therefore have rkflashtool working, then this should work for you. I'll leave finding alternative methods to people cleverer than me :)

* This is all at your own risk, any flashing mistakes should be reversible using the available images and tools but I'm not responsible if something worse happens*

So,

1) Download the zipped recovery.img here

Edit: thanks glossywhite:

Here's a faster, fuss-free mirror (dropbox) *plus* I've included the original, stock "recovery" image... just in case some poor soul forgets to back it up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wvjwffzvbet6yo/CWM-6.0.3.1-image-hudl-with-stock-recovery-backup-image.zip?dl=1

2) Unzip recovery.img into the same location as the files from Paul's root method (so recovery.img is in the same directory/folder as rkflashtool)

3) Open a command line to the above location, and as per Paul's instructions

plug the hudl in via USB and press the reset pin while holding volume up (the device will appear to stay off)

4) Enter:

./rkflashtool r 0x00010000 0x00010000 > recovery.original.img
./rkflashtool w 0x00010000 0x00010000 < recovery.img
./rkflashtool b
5) Turn it on.

You know CWM, you get to it by holding Power + Volume Up when the Hudl is off (but not when it's in charging mode as it should be after you enter those commands, so you might have to boot up then power down), or a rebooter app, or using the extended power menu if you've pimped your rom.

Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Credit to hal2710, Paul, and everyone behind the various softwares.

Edited by hippy dave

Guest glossywhite

Thank you SO much:

10599773555_053ca64c3a_c.jpg

Here's a faster, fuss-free mirror (dropbox) *plus* I've included the original, stock "recovery" image... just in case some poor soul forgets to back it up 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wvjwffzvbet6yo/CWM-6.0.3.1-image-hudl-with-stock-recovery-backup-image.zip?dl=1

Edited by glossywhite

Guest TescoHudl

Thanks for uploading but... i still can't get RKTools to work on my laptop. :(

Are there any other methods i can use to install this custom recovery? I'm sure i've seen apps in Google Play claiming to be able to flash recoveries, but i don't know whether something like this would work or not.

EDIT: I just downloaded the recovery and unzipped it onto my desktop. It's just the recovery .img inside. I've flashed these files over ADB on my Nexus 7 before, and it worked fine, so i suppose i could do that instead.

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest hippy dave

Sorry, I'm not aware of any other methods yet. Maybe you can find someone with a computer it will work on, or try a Linux boot disc, it only needs to be done once.

If anyone else comes up with alternate flashing methods I can add them here.

Guest TescoHudl

I discovered the reason why RKTools wasn't working on my laptop. I was using the ADB driver rather than the driver which was supplied with RKTools.... Oops! 

Can anyone be kind enough to give me a quick hand with this new problem i am having? It says that the command is not recognized? 

QuuehtK.png

Guest djpatterson

I discovered the reason why RKTools wasn't working on my laptop. I was using the ADB driver rather than the driver which was supplied with RKTools.... Oops! 

Can anyone be kind enough to give me a quick hand with this new problem i am having? It says that the command is not recognized? 

QuuehtK.png

You're trying to execute a unix command in windows!!!

remove the ./ if there is a windows executable in the directory

Edited by djpatterson

Guest TescoHudl

You're trying to execute a unix command in windows!!!

remove the ./ if there is a windows executable in the directory

Ha, that just proves how stupid i am when it comes to working in command prompt and terminal! I usually depend on graphical programs to get the job done, but with the Hudl there aren't many programs available to use, meaning i have to do it this way instead... 

Are you saying that if i type 'rkflashtool r 0x00010000 0x00010000 > recovery.original.img', it will work in Windows? Basically the same command, but without the ./  - I just tried it and that didn't work, so i guess you meant to remove the ./ if there was a Windows .exe inside the folder, while in Linux.

Apologies for being such an idiot!

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest Pieronip

RKBatchtool.exe is a Windows executable and will run only in Windows.  Rkflashtool is a linux utility and will run only in linux.  This process is for rkflashtool in linux.  Rkbatchtool in windows does not have the required functionality.

Has anyone had any luck using a linux live cd to do this?  I've tried 2 distros and neither works.

Guest glossywhite

Please follow these instructions, using Ubuntu 13.X:

1/ Download the attached file "51-android.rules.zip" to the Ubuntu "Downloads" folder (~/Downloads)

2/ Open terminal, paste this into it, then press return key (you will be prompted for root password, but not on a live CD):

unzip 51-android.zip && sudo cp ~/Downloads/51-android.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/ && sudo chmod 644 /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules && sudo service udev restart &

3/ Finally, unplug then re-plug your hudl from USB.

Now try :)

This file gives Ubuntu certain information about the USB "Vendor ID" and "Device ID" of Android devices, so it knows how to handle them.

51-android.zip

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Pieronip

Thanks for the above information!  I knew there had to be something to tell linux about the device - I just didn't know what it was! :)

I shall be having another go first thing in the morning.

Thanks again.

Guest Pieronip

Hi

The instructions above enable me to access the Hudl in flash mode.  Many thanks.  There remains a problem in that the copy of CWM downloaded from the Dropbox mirror appears to be corrupt.  When I flash it, RKFlashtool writes several blocks of memory and then stops with

FATAL: Premature End of File reached.

I do not have the courage to see if this worked anyway and just re flashed the original image which is fine.

Can the OP advise please?

Guest hippy dave

Hmm I did get an end of file message, I don't remember it being dramatically FATAL but it may have been. The new image is smaller than the original so this is the expected behavior I think. I haven't downloaded the dropbox file myself but if the recovery.img is 10,797,056 bytes then you're all good.

Guest Pieronip

Funny that!  I just came on to post that the image is smaller so it must be just that that is causing the issue.  I am unused to these tools and so tend to worry about the word 'Fatal' when I see it!

Many thanks.

EDIT - Confirmed.  It's just the smaller file size. All woring fine.  Thanks again.

Edited by Pieronip

Guest glossywhite

Please take note of the SHA1 hashes of my uploaded images (above):

6c7c0cc452f624b8e13106542d07b6bc5cf35781    recovery.img

eb5a9c69ca4d4b6e8a32d832cf426215a4325c35   recovery.original.img

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Mr Lawrence

Just like to say thanks to all you guys for brining cwm to the hudl and all the other work and guides that you are providing here.My hudl now has cwm no tesco "t" and a nexus boot animation.I'm also learning a bit on the way :-) Thanks again and keep up your great work

Guest glossywhite

Just like to say thanks to all you guys for brining cwm to the hudl and all the other work and guides that you are providing here.My hudl now has cwm no tesco "t" and a nexus boot animation.I'm also learning a bit on the way :-) Thanks again and keep up your great work

Aww nice sentiments, you are welcome and God bless you :D

Guest Michealtbh

Is it possible to push this to the correct partition on a rooted Hudl using a terminal emulator (from Android)? If so, can someone tell me the command to do so? Thanks.

Edited by Michealtbh

Guest hippy dave

I don't know, I hope someone else can answer that for you. Tho I have a suspicion that the answer may be no, if it hasn't already been done by now.

Guest jonoathome

Forgive the noob here..

Actually not that much of a noob.. (just with this)

RKflashtool linux ? where can I find this ?

Is it rkflashtool-linux ?

or do i have to sudo apt-get ????

Edited by jonoathome