ClockworkMod Recovery (v6.0.3.1) for rkflashtool, built by hal2710

Guest hippy dave

Yes just spotted that hence my update on that thread - if I wasn't at work I would have just Linked to the tool. You can always read the pinned thread about rooting by Paul or search the forum for "rkflashtool".

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RCAndroid

Hello,

I purchased a Hudl a few weeks ago and recently rooted it using adb drivers and the Kingo app. Since seeing this thread, I've been wanting to get CWM on the Hudl but unfortunately, every time I type "./rkflashtool r 0x00010000 0x00010000 > recovery.original.img" into linux terminal, all I get is "bash: ./rkflashtool: cannot execute binary file". Admittedly, I'm still new to the more 'advanced' methods of rooting, flashing (with the command line) but I'd really like to be able to so I don't have to rely on having to wait for easier methods. Could anyone shed some light on why I can't execute rkflashtool (I have done chmod +x rkflashtool too)? Apparently the binary may be corrupt...

Many thanks,

Rob

EDIT: I managed to flash CWM in the end, I was just using the wrong rkflashtool bit-wise. Many, many thanks to glossywhite for his 32-bit version!

Edited by RCAndroid

• 7 months later...
Guest TescoHudl

Hello,

It has been a while since i was on the Hudl modding scene because i bought a Motorola Moto G which i started using instead of the Hudl. Over time i lost interest in the Hudl and it has sat in my bedroom unused since November when i bought the Moto G. I planned to sell the Hudl but i never got around to doing it. The prices are a bit low now so i wondered whether there was much point selling it. I decided i would keep it a little longer, so today i re-rooted it using the Kingo Root program. 

I would now like to install Clockworkmod recovery to the device, but it has been over nine months since i last did this procedure and i can't remember how i did it. I have dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 14.04, but my skills in Ubuntu are extremely limited. The most i can do in the terminal are basic 'apt-get' commands. 

I tried running the commands shown in the 1st post but they result in a message saying that the command was not valid/recognised. I think i need to actually install the RKFlashTools drivers before entering these commands or something like that?

The tutorial in the original post is complete gibberish to me, i have no idea what i am doing.

I was hoping that someone who has done this procedure before may be able to guide me through it in a very simple fashion?

I have spent the whole evening trying to do this with no luck. After a while it really starts to annoy me and i do get rather irritated by not being able to understand, so i would really appreciate some help!

Cheers. :)

Guest TescoHudl

fastboot.exe flash recovery recoveryname.img

That's what i thought as well, but when i tried doing it nothing happened. I held the volume up button on the Hudl and hit the reset button at the same time, and then after a few seconds i let go and quickly pressed the power button to verify that it was in fastboot mode. Then i went to the ADB folder on my laptop and brought up a command prompt. I typed 'fastboot devices' but nothing came up, just a blank space below my command? 

I have the Rockship drivers installed and i checked that the device had been recognised in fastboot mode by going into Device Manager and looking for the Hudl under Class for Rockchip heading.

Any ideas? If this doesn't work i will have a go at flashing the Helios ROM instead, because that one comes with CWM pre-installed.

Yes, but the Helios ROM hasn't been updated since the OTA 1.3.1 release and as such will break when attempting to update and probably enter an endless update loop.

If you do some reading on this forum and take the time to understand some of the posts/threads there's no reason why you can't achieve your goals.

Guest TescoHudl

Yes, but the Helios ROM hasn't been updated since the OTA 1.3.1 release and as such will break when attempting to update and probably enter an endless update loop.

If you do some reading on this forum and take the time to understand some of the posts/threads there's no reason why you can't achieve your goals.

Thanks for the heads up about the Helios ROM, you have prevented me from making a big mistake and causing myself more problems!

​I spent hours last night searching through the forum with no luck. I'm sure there will be an answer there somewhere but i can't find anything. I reinstalled the Rockchip drivers to ensure that wasn't the problem, but it has made no difference to the issue. You can see in the screenshot below that the drivers are installed, but when i type 'fastboot devices' into command prompt i just end up with a blank space. When attempting to flash the recovery it just sticks on 'Waiting for device'. I have also tried changing USB ports but that doesn't make any difference.

CHKkpS5.png

Guest TescoHudl

I just tried doing the same thing on my Windows XP netbook, but it results in the exact same problem. Entering 'fastboot devices' returns nothing and the drivers are all properly installed. 

Someone must know how to sort this problem, what am i doing wrong?

If i can't get the device to be recognised in Windows i could try doing the procedure in Ubuntu instead, but like i said yesterday, i'm not sure how to set up the Hudl so it is ready to use with RKFlashTools in Linux. At the moment, entering commands in the terminal which start with './rkflashtools' ends up in a message telling me that the command is not recognised.

Please help.

Guest flurry

I just tried doing the same thing on my Windows XP netbook, but it results in the exact same problem. Entering 'fastboot devices' returns nothing and the drivers are all properly installed. 

Someone must know how to sort this problem, what am i doing wrong?

If i can't get the device to be recognised in Windows i could try doing the procedure in Ubuntu instead, but like i said yesterday, i'm not sure how to set up the Hudl so it is ready to use with RKFlashTools in Linux. At the moment, entering commands in the terminal which start with './rkflashtools' ends up in a message telling me that the command is not recognised.

Please help.

to use rkflashtool in linux you need to make sure you have the correct version of rkflashtool, 32bit or 64bit, to match your linux system. Then navigate to the folder that the rkflashtool is in using terminal, eg: cd /home/Downloads

connect the hudl in bootloader mode (the same as you would in windows, using the reset and volume button) and try rkflashtool again.

Guest TescoHudl
Yay, i found out what the problem was! :D 

Like i have said before, every time i entered the commands shown in the original post, i recieved a message telling me that there was no such file and that it was an invalid command. According to the original post, i was supposed to enter the lines below one at a time into the terminal. 

./rkflashtool r 0x00010000 0x00010000 > recovery.original.img
./rkflashtool w 0x00010000 0x00010000 < recovery.img
./rkflashtool b

It says to extract the CWM recovery image into the same folder as Paul's stock ROM and use the RKTools file inside here to flash the recovery to the Hudl. However my file was called 'rkflashtool-linux' and not 'rkflashtool' as the commands above say, hence why it couldn't find the file. As soon as i had removed the '-linux' bit from RKTools file name, the commands below worked!

Guest flurry

Yay, i found out what the problem was! :D 

Like i have said before, every time i entered the commands shown in the original post, i recieved a message telling me that there was no such file and that it was an invalid command. According to the original post, i was supposed to enter the lines below one at a time into the terminal. 

./rkflashtool r 0x00010000 0x00010000 > recovery.original.img
./rkflashtool w 0x00010000 0x00010000 < recovery.img
./rkflashtool b

It says to extract the CWM recovery image into the same folder as Paul's stock ROM and use the RKTools file inside here to flash the recovery to the Hudl. However my file was called 'rkflashtool-linux' and not 'rkflashtool' as the commands above say, hence why it couldn't find the file. As soon as i had removed the '-linux' bit from RKTools file name, the commands below worked!

glad to hear you sorted it!

So as seems the norm here now, the problem was found located between the hudl screen and the back of your chair.

People just need to chill out and think about what they are trying to do and apply some commonsense.

It's a shame as we could have some really technical mods discussed here but they'd get drowned out by "I can't / won't think or learn posts".

Best not start a how to build your custom ROM thread then doh!

Guest flurry

So as seems the norm here now, the problem was found located between the hudl screen and the back of your chair.

People just need to chill out and think about what they are trying to do and apply some commonsense.

It's a shame as we could have some really technical mods discussed here but they'd get drowned out by "I can't / won't think or learn posts".

Best not start a how to build your custom ROM thread then doh!

whilst I agree that many of the questions could be answered by trawling through some of the past threads I'm not convinced any of this falls under the remit of common sense! Everyone has to start somewhere, and that of course will produce questions that seem simple to more experienced people, but you're under no obligation to respond to anything.

Guest TescoHudl

Yes, i do think that's a bit unfair CaptainMidnight. As Flurry has quite rightly said, some people on here have more experience than others and so they will find things such as this a lot easier to do! Also, i don't think it was really my fault anyway because i just trusted the instructions Glossywhite had posted to be the correct procedure and i didn't think for a second that my filename would be different to the one written in the script.

I am quite new to Linux and so i do struggle to understand the more complex aspects of it at times. Normally i will just Google any problems i have and find the answer; but if i am unable to find the solution after many hours of searching, or if i do not understand the solution to my problem then i will ask on the Internet as a last resort.  :) 

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest flurry

Yes, i do think that's a bit unfair CaptainMidnight. As Flurry has quite rightly said, some people on here have more experience than others and so they will find things such as this a lot easier to do! Also, i don't think it was really my fault anyway because i just trusted the instructions Glossywhite had posted to be the correct procedure and i didn't think for a second that my filename would be different to the one written in the script.

I am quite new to Linux and so i do struggle to understand the more complex aspects of it at times. Normally i will just Google any problems i have and find the answer; but if i am unable to find the solution after many hours of searching, or if i do not understand the solution to my problem then i will ask on the Internet as a last resort.  :) 

For what it's worth, I think the rkflashtool file name difference comes from whether the version is 64bit or 32bit - they have different names. Glossywhite's instructions (from memory) were correct for 64bit, but as you found you need to modify the command for the 32bit variant of the script.

Being able to google the problem also requires some knowledge of what your problem is and what terms to search for - something that isn't always known to users who are out of their comfort zone and merely following an guide posted online.

• 2 years later...
Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

Bit of a long shot, as I guess no one is using their Hudl 1 (original) Tablets anymore??

I cannot seem to CWM 6.0.3.1 it anymore???

I had to restore it a couple of months ago, as my mum complained it was running too slow. So I wiped it, then tried to do the Tesco 1.3.1 update, that I've put off for ages, due to the loop. Anyway, needless to say, it didnt go to well again. So I completely factory restored it, so it was running PURE Tesco firmware, and then applied the 1.3.1 update.

I then tried to flash CWM to it, and had no luck... So gave up again!!!  Went to install some software that requires a custom recovery, which I forgot this didnt have so tried again... and still failing....

I'm not a complete noob, as I've been dealing with Android for many a years now, modded the ZTE Blade, many Samsung phones and Tablets, Sony, HP and so on... and all work fine.

I've tried to install the Rockchip drive, which says its installed fine (but still has a GREY question mark next to it.... not a yellow one!!)

However,  flashtools fails with the below error

rkflashtool w 0x00010000 0x00010000 < recovery.img
rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v6.0
rkflashtool: fatal: cannot open device

I've also installed ADB and setup fastboot, but that keeps saying <waiting for device> also!!

Tried to use Chainfire's  new "FlashFire" util, to see if that could write the Recovery partition, but even that complains it can't run due to lack of root, even though its fully rooted, and have a couple of rooted Apps working fine on it...

Help, really need to get CWM on it, so I can then forget about it... and  know its all upto date...

Im running Windows 7, x64

Many thanks, Lister