[ROM] Tabbiedroid (v1.5) (for RKtools v1.7) with update bypass for those with 1.3 update woes! [ROM]

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Guest h4x0rm1k3

This HUDL firmware image file is specifically for people stuck in the stupid tesco enforced update bug/loop which both myself and GlossyWhite confirmed yesterday which nearly caused me to lose my hair and nearly gain an enemy in the process! Thankfully that is now all put behind us and between the both of us we now have this exclusive for you!

This v1.5 is based on the original Tabbiedroid released by Hal2710 which is based on the stock rom released by PaulOBrien and repackaged by me with the appropriate bypass/fixes as mentioned by GlossyWhite so credit is due where originally earned but overall it's a combined effort!

This rom can be installed under any circumstances, even if you don't have the relevent update issues like I and GlossyWhite experienced. It doesn't have the 1.3 update included so this is purely a stock/rooted original 1.0 rom with the update bypass fix included already. I've also packaged it up so that it can be flashed in Windows for all you that aren't comfortable using linux so I hope that many of you find this image as useful as I have!

Installation instructions (copied from PaulOBriens thread)

TabbieDroid v1.5 download (includes update fixes) - http://www.mediafire.com/?bnjtbcda415kuqo

RKTools 1.7 download (drivers included) - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.php?file=rktools17.zip

To use, extract the tools and image zips, connect your device, press the reset pin while holding volume up and install drivers if prompted. Click the '...' button to load the image. Box 1 should be green, when it is, hit 'Restore' to flash your device.

After flashing this rom you won't be asked or prompted to update your HUDL again which will stop the update issue in the initial 1st setup of the device as is the case when you have either rooted tabbiedroid (v1) or if you went back to stock using the stock rom that PaulOBrien uploaded. Hopefully in time there will be new ways around this issue or even better, new and exciting roms but that's gonna be a few months away I recon but at least this rom is out there now which will keep us all sane until then!

Enjoy all, Team HUDL FTW!!!

Edited by h4x0rm1k3

Guest glossywhite

This HUDL firmware image file is specifically for people stuck in the stupid tesco enforced update bug/loop which both myself and GlossyWhite confirmed yesterday which nearly caused me to lose my hair and nearly gain an enemy in the process! Thankfully that is now all put behind us and between the both of us we now have this exclusive for you!

This v2 is based on the original Tabbiedroid released by Hal2710 which is based on the stock rom released by PaulOBrien and repackaged by me with the appropriate bypass/fixes as mentioned by GlossyWhite so credit is due where originally earned but overall it's a combined effort!

This rom can be installed under any circumstances, even if you don't have the relevent update issues like I and GlossyWhite experienced. It doesn't have the 1.3 update included so this is purely a stock/rooted original 1.0 rom with the update bypass fix included already. I've also packaged it up so that it can be flashed in Windows for all you that aren't comfortable using linux so I hope that many of you find this image as useful as I have!

TabbieDroid v2 download (includes update fixes) - http://www.mediafire.com/?bnjtbcda415kuqo

RKTools 1.7 download (drivers included) - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.php?file=rktools17.zip

To use, extract the tools and image zips, connect your device, press the reset pin while holding volume up and install drivers if prompted. Click the '...' button to load the image. Box 1 should be green, when it is, hit 'Restore' to flash your device.

After flashing this rom you won't be asked or prompted to update your HUDL again which will stop the update issue in the initial 1st setup of the device as is the case when you have either rooted tabbiedroid (v1) or if you went back to stock using the stock rom that PaulOBrien uploaded. Hopefully in time there will be new ways around this issue or even better, new and exciting roms but that's gonna be a few months away I recon but at least this rom is out there now which will keep us all sane until then!

Superb work, Mr Mike! :D

Thank you, and thank you for crediting me - it was only a small mod though - I am standing on the shoulders of others who were here before me :)

God bless you all! Enjoy! :D

Guest hal2710

This v2 is based on the original Tabbiedroid released by Hal2710 which is based on the stock rom released by PaulOBrien and repackaged by me with the appropriate bypass/fixes as mentioned by GlossyWhite so credit is due where originally earned but overall it's a combined effort!

TabbieDroid v2 download (includes update fixes) - http://www.mediafire.com/?bnjtbcda415kuqo

Well done,

Pity that you didn't call your ROM something different, because some people may mistake this as my work.

Too be clear WELL done h4x0rm1k3 on his ROM TabbieDroid V2.

My work here is done

Hal2710

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Hi Hal2710. Sorry if I have caused offence in any way, it wasn't intentional, I just wanted to credit people where it's due and I thought that renaming the rom to something I wanted to call it may offend so I left it as it is 'cos it's only 2 files moved into a different folder really, nothing else different from that apart from it can now be installed on any HUDL regardless of what update it's on or if it's stuck in the updating loop/block that came about yesterday as a result of Tesco's latest update!

What I will do though is rename it to v1.5 so that you may carry on with your own future versions if you produce any, at least then it won't screm up the version history as such, only add a revision to it!

Thanks again though, without your rom as a base this would have been a larger file overall and I probably wouldn't have bothered uploading it, it was only because it was just over 500mb that I thought why not!

Guest TescoHudl

Not sure whether i am missing something here but.... how come i can't create a backup in the Clockworkmod recovery, included with this ROM? I rebooted into recovery using Quickboot Pro, and then selected 'Backup and restore'. After this, i pressed backup, but it just tells me that it 'Can't mount backup path'. Seems a bit pointless having a recovery system if you can't even make a backup?

Guest glossywhite

Not sure whether i am missing something here but.... how come i can't create a backup in the Clockworkmod recovery, included with this ROM? I rebooted into recovery using Quickboot Pro, and then selected 'Backup and restore'. After this, i pressed backup, but it just tells me that it 'Can't mount backup path'. Seems a bit pointless having a recovery system if you can't even make a backup?

Create your backup to external storage (a micro SD card in the slot), since this CWM cannot mount the internal flash storage. CWM has a menu option for that - have a look - that's how I did my backup, last night :)

Guest TescoHudl

Create your backup to external storage (a micro SD card in the slot), since this CWM cannot mount the internal flash storage. CWM has a menu option for that - have a look - that's how I did my backup, last night :)

Ah, i see. I knew something wasn't right because i had seen screenshots on here of a full backup in CWM, on the Hudl.

I was going to order the new Nexus 5 yesterday and sell my Hudl (Bought the Hudl for £5 using my moms Tesco vouchers and staff discount, so it would have made a nice profit on Ebay), but after seeing the prices i've decided to keep the Hudl; so i will be ordering a 64GB MicroSD off Amazon to use for CWM backups and memory expansion. :)

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest dilpz213

Hi Guys,

Updated to this image with RKTools and the flash seemed to go well. However, all I have now is a star in the middle of the tablet. Its been like this for the past 20 minutes. Is this normal? If not, should I just try and repeat the process again?

Guest h4x0rm1k3

I've had that issue a couple of times now dilpz213 and as yourself a quick restart or in worst case scenarios a re-install will usually sort the problem out.

Guest bob_fossil

Thanks to the information and downloads in this thread I've managed to flash this image to my Hudl. It's all working (no T button :) ) but I've noticed something which I'm not sure is related to me missing some vital step during flashing or is something else completely unrelated.

If I power down the tablet completely and plug it into the charger at the mains, I get the Hudl white star graphic on the screen but no battery charging graphic. It just stays on the star graphic. I have to unplug the charger and hit the reset on the back to get it into a state where the power button switches it back on. Holding down the power button when it's showing the star doesn't do anything. The Hudl charges when connected after it's booted up but I'm worried that I can't now actually charge it properly when it's all powered down. Any ideas? Cheers.

Thanks to the information and downloads in this thread I've managed to flash this image to my Hudl. It's all working (no T button :) ) but I've noticed something which I'm not sure is related to me missing some vital step during flashing or is something else completely unrelated.

If I power down the tablet completely and plug it into the charger at the mains, I get the Hudl white star graphic on the screen but no battery charging graphic. It just stays on the star graphic. I have to unplug the charger and hit the reset on the back to get it into a state where the power button switches it back on. Holding down the power button when it's showing the star doesn't do anything. The Hudl charges when connected after it's booted up but I'm worried that I can't now actually charge it properly when it's all powered down. Any ideas? Cheers.

Sounds like an issue with the custom recovery contained in the ROM. If charging while powered off is very important to you, my advice would be re-flash the stock recovery IMG until there is an updated recovery with fixed charging while powered off.

Guest bob_fossil

Sounds like an issue with the custom recovery contained in the ROM. If charging while powered off is very important to you, my advice would be re-flash the stock recovery IMG until there is an updated recovery with fixed charging while powered off.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I got there in the end. As I'm on Windows and rkflashtool is Linux only what I ended up doing was using imgrepackerrk to extract the imgs from hudl.20130923.020558.stock.rktools. I then extracted the Tabbiedroid .img in this thread, replaced recovery.img and boot.img, repackaged it back and reflashed the .img. I now see the battery charging screen after powering down with the USB connected. :)

I think the culprit may be in boot.img. The boot.img in the stock image appears to be different to the one in the Tabbiedroid .img. I tried building an earlier .img with just replacing recovery.img with the stock version and that made no difference (apart from losing the CWM stuff). I also noticed that the recovery.img in the stock .img is ~16meg whereas the stock .img in CWM 6.0.3.1 is ~33meg.

Anyway, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sirius-c

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I got there in the end. As I'm on Windows and rkflashtool is Linux only what I ended up doing was using imgrepackerrk to extract the imgs from hudl.20130923.020558.stock.rktools. I then extracted the Tabbiedroid .img in this thread, replaced recovery.img and boot.img, repackaged it back and reflashed the .img. I now see the battery charging screen after powering down with the USB connected. :)

I think the culprit may be in boot.img. The boot.img in the stock image appears to be different to the one in the Tabbiedroid .img. I tried building an earlier .img with just replacing recovery.img with the stock version and that made no difference (apart from losing the CWM stuff). I also noticed that the recovery.img in the stock .img is ~16meg whereas the stock .img in CWM 6.0.3.1 is ~33meg.

Anyway, thanks again!

I am experiencing the exact same problem as you were.

So......

can you correct me if im wrong, My understanding in order to fix this is to:

Extract all .imgs from "hudl.20130923.020558.stock.img" and "TabbieDroid_Hudl_modded_no_updates.img"

Use the Boot.img from hudl.20130923.020558.stock.img and replace/repackage into "TabbieDroid_Hudl_modded_no_updates.img"

then flash "TabbieDroid_Hudl_modded_no_updates.img"

Is that correct?

if not I'm guessing I need to replace recovery.img as well as boot.img but then how do I install CWMR using windows box

Edited by sirius-c

Guest sirius-c

I took the plunge and did it (see above Post #15), so.... I'll answer my own question...

It worked ,

all is back to normal, I have the charging Icon back I can now power on normally and I get to keep CWMR as well.

So to summarize (using windows):-

• Inject into "TabbieDroid_Hudl_modded_no_updates.img" (Found in this thread)

• Restored new "TabbieDroid_Hudl_modded_no_updates.img"  using RKTools117

Thank You to all involved for this firmware

Edited by sirius-c

Guest dmm1000

anyone tried Skype on Tabbiedroid - does it work ? i.e i have the following problems  ......

- currently it will reload when you ring someone and they answer

- or reboot the tablet randomly when in Skype

anyone got Skype working ok ? - I tried the XDA version still a problem

Guest TescoHudl

I took the plunge and did it (see above Post #15), so.... I'll answer my own question...

It worked ,

all is back to normal, I have the charging Icon back I can now power on normally and I get to keep CWMR as well.

So to summarize (using windows):-

• Inject into "TabbieDroid_Hudl_modded_no_updates.img" (Found in this thread)

• Restored new "TabbieDroid_Hudl_modded_no_updates.img"  using RKTools117

Thank You to all involved for this firmware

Is there any chance you could explain how to extract and inject the boot.img? I just tried to flash the original stock ROM back onto my Hudl, but it prompts me to update to 1.3 when setting up. When the update process runs, it returns 'Error!' despite being on the official ROM... So now i need to flash the Tabbiedroid 1.5 ROM back onto the Hudl and apply your fix, but i don't understand how to do it. If you could give me a quick hand, that would be awesome.

Cheers!

Edited by TescoHudl

Basically - hudl v1.0 ROM + ClockworkMod Recovery +  disabled future hudl updates + charge indicator restored when off. :wacko: 

If I've got that wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me  :P 

Why would you want this (IMHO) - only if you are desperate to have CWM :blush: and don't want to use other methods of creating/restoring hudl backups.

Edited by Guest

Basically - hudl v1.0 ROM + ClockworkMod Recovery +  disabled future hudl updates + charge indicator restored when off. :wacko: 

If I've got that wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me  :P 

Why would you want this (IMHO) - only if you are desperate to have CWM :blush: and don't want to use other methods of creating/restoring hudl backups.

I see, I know nothing about this sort of stuff really lol. Would it make my hudl run smoother though?

Guest djpatterson

I see, I know nothing about this sort of stuff really lol. Would it make my hudl run smoother though?

Not, it just removes stuff that's not really needed

We're all waiting for KitKat and ANT

Guest TescoHudl

Hello "TescoHudl", sorry its taken a week to get back to you....did you manage to sort out your problem?

Hello! Yes, i did sort my problem. I managed to flash the stock 1.3 ROM and then root using the Chinese method. After i had rooted, i downloaded the English SuperSU off Google Play and removed the Chinese version of Superuser. No more charging issues on this ROM. :)

Guest sirius-c

ah good news. I too downloaded v1.3 stock, used kingo root app, then flashed CWM

BTW I had the update message problems with tabbiedroid,  to stop this I used titanium back up and removed an apk named  "Update 1.9.8" (I think), it seemed to sort the problem on myHudl