Nexus 5 ordered!

Guest The Soup Thief

Guest The Soup Thief

Yay! Ordered a 32gb black n5 last night. Submitted the order about 9pm without any hassle - not like the nonsense last year with the n4 ordering system, where Play kept crashing etc.

Due to ship 8th November.

I v excite!

Hope my wife appreciates this n4 which is going to be passed on to her - just a bit fearful about it's glass back...

Anyone else taken the plunge?

Guest darknessss

Bought mine this morning from Carphone Warehouse, 16GB Black £295. Why they're undercutting Google is beyond me!

Device is beautiful - screen is amazing. 

Not impressed with a forced 130mb update on first boot, but understandable given the new OS.

Guest The Soup Thief

Oo!

I'm ++Jelly!

Please let us know what you make of the battery life over the next few days

Also, do you reckon it will survive without a case?  My N4 has lived the last year in one, mainly to protect the glass back which won't be an issue here obviously 

How's the sound? Do the bottom mounted speakers make much difference

Camera sounds like a good step up too

Guest comicbookguy

accidental quadruple orders accepted on Google play for 32gb black (my PC doesn't get gmails...D'oh....)here! 3 orders subsequently cancelled. seriously considered leaving 2 orders on. probably would have if one of them was white ;)

i presume the cpw undercut is because:

they've only got the 16gb version- £295 and an instant device vs £310 and a 7 day wait - i know which i'd pick

they're not expecting Google Play to f it up like last year allowing them a to charge £100 premium (yes, i still paid it)

that and the postage makes a huge £££ gap for someone doesn't want to wait for a 32gb from Play.

I hope my wifey won't kill my n4 either. other than a wear point on the screen due to a cheap flip case it's pristine!

she's only letting me have an n5 because she's bored of her ArcS with 6 months left on her contract

@Darknesss: i have an unused leather slip case for an n4 - will the n5 fit or should i order something else? what network are you on and how is data performance?

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest The Soup Thief

Hey comicbookguy! Ezablade & darknessss too! Good to have you all on board!

I bought a few cases for my n4 and the best one, the one on it right now, is a crappy one that cost a couple of quid on eBay. I was looking on aliexpress and found some similar ones for the n5 (already!)

Wondering if it's actually going to need a case to survive some very gentle usage

Guest comicbookguy

my htc desire was bulletproof

my gnex was messed up pretty badly when it flew out of a loose leather slip case and skidded across a carpark (fortunately on its back, so easily repairable!)

the n4 has a mark in the anti reflective coat in the front screen from the magnet on a cheap flip wallet. the back is pristine, because it was always hidden....

maybe i should spend more than £2.50 on a case this time..... ;)

Guest comicbookguy

went with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161141183337?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Think the extra padding on the inside of the flap might stop my last problem happening again. The inner shell looks a bit brittle tho, just like my current case. i ended up glueing in one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CLEAR-S-LINE-WAVE-HYDRO-GEL-CASE-COVER-SKIN-FOR-LG-NEXUS-5-FILM-/400597652862?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item5d457b157e

as a replacement. gives better edge protection too ;)

has Anyone's Play order got past "pending" yet? and mine's "to leave the warehoue by the 8th" :(

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest The Soup Thief

I like that first one. Let me know how you get on with it when it arrives. I have an S-line case for my n4 - just felt a bit slimy so never used it much, but as you say, if it's covered up with something nicer, that would help. I'm tempted to see how robust the phone is by itself - seems a shame to have these wafer thin devices and wrap them up in fat cases. My n4 cases is really only to save it's glass back.

Screen protector next!

Guest comicbookguy

I tend to stick to closed cases because I loathe screen protectors and my work environment is very unfriendly to gadgets

also, my "shipped" email arrived at 12.41, whoop whoop!

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest ezablade

Got my shipped email about 10 minutes ago, nice to see I'm not the only one. Clicked (optimistically) on the tracking info... damn.. ParcelForce.. oh well, might get it some day  ;)

Guest The Soup Thief

w00t! Mine's shipped early too!

Sadly to my mum's address (UK) so will have to wait a few days more while for it to be forwarded to me in Ireland :-(

Guest ezablade

mine's apparently been on a Parcelforce van 20 miles away since 5.18 this morning!!!!!!!!!!

mine's been on it's way from Rotherham for 8 hours now.... snail mail for sure!

Guest comicbookguy

mine's been on it's way from Rotherham for 8 hours now.... snail mail for sure!

harsh. my n4's been backed up, returned to stock, rooted and boxed ready for Wifey, N5 factory image and CF-root downloaded. now i'm just drumming my fingers on the desk.......

Guest AshtonBRSC

Parcelforce just delivered mine.

The delivery guy asked what it was and said they had 'thousands' of identical parcels to deliver.

Phone currently downloading the update. Not impressed that there is a grammatical error on the download screen: "This could take up to 5 minute."

Guest comicbookguy

received @ 15.30!

Phone currently downloading the update. Not impressed that there is a grammatical error on the download screen: "This could take up to 5 minute."

odd - mine said "minutes".....

currently rooting ;)

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest Dan Mullen

received @ 15.30!

odd - mine said "minutes".....

currently rooting ;)

What root method are you using mate?  I was gonna use Chainfire's Auto-Root.  Want everything to remain stock :)

Guest comicbookguy

What root method are you using mate?  I was gonna use Chainfire's Auto-Root.  Want everything to remain stock :)

same here. hitch free. not sure about the new launcher (wasn't sure about the old one either!) icons seem way too big, not enough spaces per screen. going to persevere for a day or so, but may end up back on Nova & Autohide Softkeys (when they update the compatability)

Edited by comicbookguy